Why does my email list have fewer subscribers in Shopify than in Omnisend?

plannerchick
Tourist
5 0 1

I have decided not to use Omnisend due to their recent price hike, so I just went to Shopify email. It's simple and really all I need, as I send one email a week. I have 1200 subscribers when I go to send an email via Shopify email, but I had 1800 subscribers with Omnisend. I've messaged Shopify with no reply, and I tried exporting my Omnisend subscribers into Shopify but it wont accept the csv, even when I try to delete columns and try to keep only the headings Shopify wants in the csv. I think the shopify list may be an old one used several years ago when I had someone else running my website before she switched us to Mailchimp. 

Please help!

Wendy 

Replies 5 (5)

Vel-Oh
Shopify Partner
8 2 5

Hey there!
In total openness, I used to work for Shopify as a guru, (I have two stores) and have worked for Omnisend partnerships for the past 2 years.
I am a little perturbed by your concern over the price hike and would love to help you out in any way I can. Am I correct in thinking that you have 1200 active subscribers?

You mentioned that you want to send one email a week, I take this as a campaign email, and how many automation on average are you sending out a month?

On 1200 active subscribers, the amount would be $25, what plan were you on before, and what was the billable amount.

Please do fire me over any other details, that you think I may need to look into this further for you ( website address , etc)

Lets figure out how we can make sure you have the right tools for you to be successful.

Speak soon!

Vel-Oh
Shopify Partner
8 2 5

Hey there!

I spoke to a few of my colleagues, and most likely the reason is that it could be that you have  just used our csv file that was exported. The problem here is that we accept any type of field names when you import contacts to Omnisend, as we have an option to map each field separately, while Shopify has a strict list of names, therefore any custom properties that are included in Omnisend export, aren't accepted by Shopify. Also, some minor things like 'Country Code' field has Code written with capital C in shopify and we add it with small c (Country code) to our export file. Also, attached is a screenshot to show where you can download sample Shopify files and edit the file they've exported from Omnisend to match the property names Shopify wants the import file to have.

Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 19.02.14.png

Hope this helps!

plannerchick
Tourist
5 0 1

Ok, I did try matching the columns but it didn't work. I doubt I made sure they were that exact, so I can try again. I noticed there were some columns that existed on either the sample or the csv download that didn't exist on the other. What do I do with those? And does each column need to be in the exact order as the sample, or just the same column name?

Shay
Shopify Staff
2828 442 576

Hi @plannerchick 

Hopefully we can help you get this sorted ASAP so that you can get your emails sent out!

When matching a CSV file to our template, the titles and order of the titles needs to be exact. CSV files are not forgiving and must be inputted in a very specific way. 

The layout and capitalization of the headers can be found in our Help Center here: Importing and Exporting Customer CSV.

I recommend working in smaller batches of emails if you are encountering errors as it will help you troubleshoot and make sure all the columns are properly filled in and aligned. I would also ensure you have a duplicate copy of your base CSV that you exported to keep on hand as a backup. CSV imports can't be reversed.

Our live support is also available to help you troubleshoot if you need some additional eyes on this: Shopify Help Center - Contact Support.

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

plannerchick
Tourist
5 0 1

Thank you for your reply. When I went to "upgrade" on Omnisend (I am currently just using the free plan), it said my fee would be $110 monthly, based on 8k "contacts". Honestly, I don't do anything with those contacts and ONLY send email to my active subscribers, which is around 1800, and I send 1 promo email a week. I would be willing to pay for Omnisend, but it's hard to jump from free to $110 monthly. Can I somehow just delete all the other "contacts" that aren't subscribed, so I'm not charged for them. Whatever you can to do help me would be great, because I'm losing sales--even today on Black Friday! I can't get that email out to those who need it!