Why is the state name replaced with numbers in the Shopify shipping address?

michaelteh89
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi support team, 

i just realized the shipping address are some error there.

There should mention state name but become number, it is easily to get wrong delivery details.

Please help us to solve the issue

a4be57be-3763-4f6e-a2ac-f11e09cb6570.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-22 at 9.45.04 AM.jpeg

Replies 5 (5)

Mac
Shopify Staff
1642 167 258

Hi, @michaelteh89

Thanks for reaching out in our Community forums and for sharing your concern.

I’d be happy to learn more about this issue and help provide some clarification. From my understanding, when a customer from Malaysia places and order and enters Penang as the State/Territory, the address is listed as 07 instead of Penang. I was able to test this out with multiple addresses and the same result occurred for different states within Malaysia. Since our checkout pulls addresses directly from Google, it seems like each State/Territory is assigned a numerical value in this case.

While I do understand how this could cause confusion with shipping, I will reach out to our developers and share your feedback with them. Are you able to confirm if the full address is shown when printing out a shipping label, or is the numerical value still assigned? 

Thank you again for flagging this and feel free to reply back to this thread with any questions or updates so we can continue our conversation further!

Mac | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

locallab
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Mac, 

Having the same issue with states displayed as numerical value, this did not use to be the case, and it isn't the case on the Shopify app either, only on the desktop web client and only recently, hope this gets fixed quickly.

Most of us in Malaysia most likely do not print out shipping label directly from shopify vs we use some 3rd party service like DHL etc, the error occurs when we copy paste the address directly from the order page to the shipping address input of the 3rd party service. 

Mac
Shopify Staff
1642 167 258

Hi, @locallab!

Thank you for joining the thread and providing that additional information.

I definitely see the opportunity to improve this workflow as copy and pasting the address to your 3rd party service can lead to an error. I have added your feedback to the open ticket and it will be reviewed by our developers. Just a note that we can't guarantee when and if changes will be made, or provide a timeline for updates on this request. However any updates will be listed in the Shopify Changelog

Feel free to reply back to this thread with any questions or updates and we can continue our conversation further!

mcmgsv
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi, 

Would like to know if there is any update on this reported issue?

I'm also from Malaysia, and the issue is found when customer login into their account, and seeing the number in their addresses, which seems incorrect in the eyes of customers.

Customers may also be reluctant to place order when they couldn't get the shipping address right, and causes confusion and frustration.

I encounter the same issue too when I want to insert my address in newsletter, using Shopify Email app, whereby the state will be replaced by a number in the address.

Hopefully Shopify tech team can look into this issue soonest possible. Much appreciated.

Mac
Shopify Staff
1642 167 258

Hi, @locallab!

Thank you for sharing that information. 

I have added your feedback regarding customer accounts and when using your address on Shopify features. I can assure you that this concern is being looked into by the appropriate team. Although I am unable to provide any specific guarantees, I will be sure to update this thread should this change be made. 

Thank you again for sharing your feedback. The more we make our teams aware that these functions are desired, the more likely we are to see them come down the pipeline sooner. 

Cheers!