I run a Shopify store, shipping around 50 orders a day, and I have 15 different box sizes that I ship in.
For the last 2 years I've been choosing the best size by sight and experience, but I often waste a lot of time:
- Going through different boxes trying to figure out the smallest size
- Individually picking orders, and going back to the same products over and over
Knowing the optimal box size is important because my customers pay a flat-rate for their shipping, and the size of the box makes a difference in what I'm charged by my courier company.
Also, when it comes time to employ people, I need a foolproof system so my staff don't have to "think" for themselves (and probably get it wrong, and not care.)
I'm also a developer and have just written my own app that does the following:
- Works out the smallest box size to fit an order in (including when there are multiple items)
- Generates a product "pick list" according to a filter of chosen order criteria: order date, box size, shipping location etc.
- Generates the packing slips according to the above criteria filter
- Gives a graphical step-by-step demonstration of how to pack the products in the shipping box (if needed)
- Assigns the shipping cost to the order for reporting
To do this I have a database of product and packing box height, width, and depth measurements. My software talks to Shopify and collects new order data once every minute.
So, the reason I'm posting this here is because I've thought about making this a publicly-available app, but before I jump head first into developing it, I'm wondering what other people's needs are. Who has a similar problem? Who wastes time on choosing shipping boxes and possibly overspends on shipping? There might be existing apps already, so I'm just wondering if I'd be reinventing the wheel, or if others might like this too?