Free Product - Paymentless

Solved
AshDvern
2 0 1

We're looking into developing a flow for cold traffic that we want to look something like this:

FREE SHAMPOO SAMPLE, Click here.
Customer ends up on landing page with simple form - they enter their email address and shipping information, they click submit.
Order is automatically created in Shopify for that completely free product

Trick is - how can we allow the 3rd step to happen completely paymentless (ie. we don't want the customer to have to enter any payment info for a free order).

Is this possible? Can anyone recommend an app?

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Luna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
712 67 89

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @AshDvern

I hope you are doing well. I just wanted to quickly check in to ensure my response was helpful? If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to let me know. 

Take care, 

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)
Luna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
712 67 89

Hi, @AshDvern

This is Luna, from Shopify. Thanks for bringing your question to our Community forum. It's very nice of you to offer your customers a free product! I'm happy to suggest how you can accomplish this. 

I recommend setting up a discount code. The discount can be applied with the use of a code that you share with your customers. Or, you can set the discount up to be automatically applied at checkout. To learn more about this, please review our Creating discounts help document. Regardless of which discount type you create, you can set the discount to apply to the desired product/collection and it will become completely free.

In addition to this, you will need to ensure that your shipping rates are also free. To set up free shipping, you can go into Settings > Shipping and Add a Shipping Zone and select the option for free shipping. You can find the instructions in our help doc on setting up shipping here: Set-up free shipping.

When your customer cart total is equal to zero, they will not be asked for any payment information. See the screenshot below as an example: 

12-40-84608-67611

In the meantime, I'd love to hear more about your business! Is this offer a way for your customers to test out your products before committing? 

If you have any questions at all, please let me know. 

Luna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
712 67 89

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @AshDvern

I hope you are doing well. I just wanted to quickly check in to ensure my response was helpful? If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to let me know. 

Take care, 

AshDvern
2 0 1
Yes, super helpful. Thank you!
Vidarious
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi @Luna

Is it possible to just set the price and shipping of an item to 0 to have the same effect? I work at an institute that monitors animal-health and conducts research, and I'm currently looking into creating a webshop to organize our sampling-equipment dispatches. Everything in the "shop" should to be free of charge for the "customer", ideally without any mention of payment.

Vidar

Luna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
712 67 89

Hey, @Vidarious.

Thanks for reaching out here. I'm more than happy to provide you with some more information regarding your concern. 

You definitely have the option to create free products as well as offer free shipping. However, your customers will still need to go through the process of adding the product to their cart and checking out by entering their shipping information. For reference, this is what the customer will see at checkout: 

It may be tricky to completely remove any mention of payment, as this is typically not the use for Shopify stores. However, there are some customization options you can use to change the wording displayed in certain places. For example, you can leave a note to your customers at checkout, using the language editor to explain the process. May I ask, will everything in your store be 'free' or will you have products that also require payment? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you, so that we can continue to work on this together.

Vidarious
Tourist
4 0 2

Thanks for the answer @Luna , glad to hear it. 

Yes, everything is going to be free. We send out sampling equipment to farms, hunters, pet-owners etc... to monitor a wide variety of disease/pathogens in wild and domestic populations. The equipment  and shipping is funded and paid for by Food Safety Authorities, internal/external research projects and so forth. Some projects rely on good samaritans to get sufficient results, others on aging and tech-incompetent veterinarians. We dont want anyone to be scared off by talk of money, but a big fat 0.00$ seems great 😉 

Luna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
712 67 89

Hey, @Vidarious.

Thanks for getting back to me. It sounds like you are running a wonderful project, congrats! I totally agree, I think the multiple 'free' and '$0's' throughout the checkout process will be a huge benefit. If you do have any other questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

We're always happy to help,