Google and You Tube Channel App No Longer Contains Gender, Age Group and Color Fields in Editor

Google and You Tube Channel App No Longer Contains Gender, Age Group and Color Fields in Editor

sfeller
Tourist
18 0 0

The Shopify Google and You Tube Channel sales channel app no longer contains the gender, age group and color field columns in the bulk editor. These columns used to show by default, but are now not even available in the drop down list of available fields/columns. Why? All fields necessary to avoid Google demotions and limited performance should be available to edit.

Replies 19 (19)

Sharkyswaters
Tourist
8 0 2

I'm seeing the same thing and can't bring up or edit those fields either. Is Google now pulling the information from production pages themselves now? I can't see to find any info anywhere if they are.

sfeller
Tourist
18 0 0

Google is not pulling the info from elsewhere. I logged into my Google merchant account to check the Shopify feed and recent items were marked as missing these fields and were demoted in search.

Sharkyswaters
Tourist
8 0 2

Ok, I went into Merchant Center and I guess mine weren't demoted as I was using duplicate to make my listings, so it was pulling the info from the listings I had duplicated them from.

I did see if you go to Merchant Center, go to products, new, you can hover just past the item title and it will show a pencil edit icon. If you click that you can manually edit all the missing info and save, but hopefully they fix the issue as doing it this way is a pain if you're adding a bunch of products. Especially since it goes all the way back to all products when you click back. 

claricelin
Shopify Partner
148 19 30

It changed to a new spot. You can't edit it directly on the product page.

But if you go into the Google & YouTube app, on the Overview tab > Under Product Status > Click on "Manage Products".

It opens up an editor that you can edit those fields from. This is the way to do it in the app. The other alternative is to manage those fields in Google Merchant Center.

I help store owners to double their traffic and sales by getting on Google and YouTube page one. Check out my YouTube channel for more tips and tactics to drive traffic and sales ➤ https://youtube.com/claricelin

Download my Shopify Marketing Guide to learn both FREE & PAID ways to drive visitors to your store that convert into paying customers. ➤https://claricelin.com/shopify-marketing-guide/
Sharkyswaters
Tourist
8 0 2

Yeah, it hasn't been on the product page in awhile. Unfortunately it's not under "Manage Products" in the app section for me now either, which is the problem. Clicking on add a column on that page doesn't show choices to add those columns to enter the information in either. I've tried reporting it to Google with screen shots, and told them I've scrolled all the way to right in the app and all the way through column choices on the right, but they just keep telling me to go to add column and click the columns for those. 

Appreciate you trying to help though

sfeller
Tourist
18 0 0

This is where I have always edited these fields. Unfortunately the gender, age group and color fields disappeared and are still not available. As Sharkyswaters has reported these fields are not even available to select from the drop down of available columns. 

luxbags
Tourist
7 0 2

Is shopify trying to rectify this? Having to do it on google merchant center one by one is just so painstakingly tedious... Help ...

Sharkyswaters
Tourist
8 0 2

No I don't think Shopify is doing anything with this. Awhile back I got notification on my dashboard that the channel app was going to be shifted over to Google to handle. When you click open sales channel for the Google app channel page in Shopify there is a link on the far right for get support. I clicked that and it sent me to a page to say what I needed help with. I wrote it all out and even included that there was no option to add the columns for those fields. I got back a response telling me to click the columns button and choose the ones I needed and add them. Wrote back and told them I had already stated they weren't there and this time sent a screenshot showing all the choices I had and that those were not there. Got back another response asking me to do a whole video showing them I can't add these columns. I haven't had time to do that yet, but hopefully can get that done this week. I think they think I'm the only person having an issue and that I'm just not doing what they've asked or not doing it right. Maybe if everyone having the same issue reports the issue as well they'll actually look at it. 

I definitely agree with you. It's a pain to have to do all that on the merchant center, especially since you hit back to do another and it resets to another page and you have to click and wait for pages to load to do another and then scroll and type etc. Was much easier to do on Shopify and click drag to copy fields that were the same on several items.

sfeller
Tourist
18 0 0

Maybe since you're already in a conversation with support you could send them a link to this thread. That will make them aware that more users are experiencing this issue.

I was able to find a work around because all of my products have the same values for these fields. I created feed rules in google merchant center to automatically fill in values for these fields. Of course that only works if your products have identical values for these fields.

Sharkyswaters
Tourist
8 0 2

Ok, update. Right after I posted my reply earlier I went to add a new item to the website. On the item page down at the bottom below product metafields I added is a new area that says Variant Metafields and it has Google boxes there. Not all the ones that were needed are there, but I it looks like I figured it out. 

I'll write the steps out, and you don't have to create a new item to do the part of adding in the new field boxes. 

Go to an items page. 

Scroll to bottom of the page where it says Variant Metafields.

Click View all.

Click View Definitions on the top right of the page.

Click Add Definition.

Name the Name field with Google: and what field you're wanting to create a box for. Example Google: Color. Or Google: Materials. 

Click Save. 

That box will now be there to enter your values into. It only shows so many field boxes on an item page, and looks to be only five before you have to click View All. On the View all page you can click View Definitions and there you can either click and drag the dotted symbols on left to move them around in the order you want so the five you use the most will be on the item page, and you can also click the pin symbol on the right to unpin one if you don't use that one. You still have to click View All from item page if you need to see more than 5 boxes. 

It's not as easy as doing them the other way, but still better than on Google Merchant Center. Hope this helps!

RoseJannuzzi
Shopify Partner
17 0 11

Following as having the same issue, this is quite annoying that these fields were removed from the bulk product edit page that are required google shopping fields are no longer available to enter in the google & youtube sales channel  so you can not fix the errors without setting up a feed with details, when you have multiple different classifications, genders and age this is not so simple to add a rule to your feed.  I hate when Shopify has these updates with no warning and no work arounds.

kpbd
Visitor
1 0 0

I set this up as you said and have been entering the info, but it is not transferring over to Google Merchant Center.  How to I get those to link up?  I am still getting errors - missing value [color], etc.

Sharkyswaters
Tourist
8 0 2

I'm not sure why yours isn't transferring over, though I've seen Shopify has been making more changes to things so maybe that's why. Further down in this thread is another method for adding it to the bulk edit menu instead of each product page and it works well. Just look for the post by  Dr Mohamed Baydon. 

wiw
Visitor
1 0 0

Seeing the same thing - they asked me for a video, like the screen shots that clearly showed the problem weren't enough. Haven't done it yet - seems like a pain to produce. 

DrMohamedBaydon
Visitor
2 0 1

Hello All 
i found for sure how to fix it 100 %, after you do what am telling you here you will be able to see the full columns as before, age, gender, color, etc

from your admin menu go to setting then down on the left select custom data
select products
then you will see product metafields definitions

select metafields without definitions 
you will find all your missed columns here
look for the missing fields and click add definitions and then name it whatever you want and save 

if you go now to the google app and manage products edit columns and everything will bee back again

Screenshot.png

reedsc
Excursionist
10 0 1

YOU, SIR, ARE A SUPERSTAR!

DrMohamedBaydon
Visitor
2 0 1

Thank you my friend ❤️❤️

SB_540
Tourist
11 0 3

I have a similar issue but one notable difference is I still see those column like I always have. Except I can't edit those fields, even though Merchant Center is flagging them as errors. I can fix them in MC but what a pain. It seems to affect products added more recently, but that's a guess. Perhaps it changed with the new Winter version of Shopify?Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 11.29.22 AM.png

RoseJannuzzi
Shopify Partner
17 0 11

Have you looked recently as we were experiencing what you showed and on Wednesday noticed that you can now edit them.   Like a prior update we lost some of the details we selected or they reverted back to defaults so I recommend checking your entire catalog.