Can I sell NFTs directly through Shopify?

HibboDippi
Visitor
2 0 6

Hello all, 

As noted from recent news about the Chicago bulls selling NFTs directly through Shopify, where can I begin doing this? I see no such settings? 

Replies 17 (17)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2744 437 561

Hi @HibboDippi 

Thank you for reaching out to our community forums with your question on selling NFTs! I know this is an exciting new category to have access to. Shopify does allow the sale of NFTs as long as they align with our Acceptable Use Policy. The only thing to note is that Shopify Payments does not support the sale of NFTs at this time. 

Since Shopify only provides you with standard website hosting and payment collection, how you fulfill your NFT orders is entirely in your hands and not something we would be able to directly support. We are here to provide the platform and the access to a variety of payment gateways to accept payment for your items. Shopify does not provide the direct resources to create or host NFT files themselves. 

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have regarding this topic, as much detail as you can provide will allow me to assist you faster. 

Thank you,

-Shay

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

HibboDippi
Visitor
2 0 6

Hi there, 

Thank you for your reply. 

Any ideas on how to best set this up then? in terms of "hosting" the NFT files? How is Chicago Bulls handling this? 

Shay
Shopify Staff
2744 437 561

Great question!

When it comes to NFTs, how to create and host them is outside of my scope of support and knowledge. You would need to find suitable and secure hosting for your NFTs outside of Shopify in order to sell them and not have the data removed at some point in the future. Because of the uniqueness of this type of product Shopify support can't tell you how to manage your NFTs.

In regards to the Chicago Bulls account, that is not an account I am working on so I don't have access to that information. It would also be considered proprietary to their business, so I wouldn't be able to share that even if I was. 

-Shay

dhml
Tourist
4 0 13

It seems counterintuitive and disingenuous that the president of Shopify would tweet "...we are making it easier for our merchants to sell NFTs directly through their stores,..." without offering up exactly how store owners could set this up. This tweet explicitly states that store owners will have the ability to sell NFTs directly through their stores as if they were any other product. Presuming that the Chicago Bull's store is a Shopify storefront, it should not be a trade secret or propriety information as to how they set up the store, especially since the president of Shopify explicitly stated that all merchants can sell NFTs directly through their stores. Please make it make sense.

Shay
Shopify Staff
2744 437 561

Hi @dhml 

Thank you for the feedback about this! I am not familiar enough with NFTs to know how hosting or creating them works. I can say that Shopify cannot help you with the creation of the NFTs, only that it is possible to sell the non-fungible tokens through Shopify without going against our AUP. 

You can transact the sale of the tokens through your Shopify account but you may need to have the actual hosting and NFT created through an external service. Shopify does not create or host NFT files, that is separate from the sale of them. We are only able to assist you in collecting payment for the product through your online store. 

-Shay

dhml
Tourist
4 0 13

In reality, a few forum posts means nothing without tangible documentation from Shopify itself. As the vast majority of Shopify's merchants are both ignorant to what an NFT is and intrigued by what the sale of NFTs could do for their revenue and profit margin, Shopify should have an FAQ to guide their merchants on what is and is not acceptable use and a tutorial to supplement that FAQ.

Specifically coming from a merchant who knows about NFTs, already has the infrastructure in place to create and host NFTs, and knows how intimidating cryptocurrencies appear to the layperson, the announcement that Shopify made it easier for said layperson to purchase NFTs was golden. However, the incomplete nature of the way Shopify has launch this initiative, whatever it may be, is disappointing. Do so much better than this.

earlylearner
Visitor
2 0 22

@dhml I agree completely. I'm extremely knowledgeable about NFTs and am beyond disappointed to see no documentation, guidance, or indication that the promises made on twitter by the President of Shopify are actually available. 

MOISCHKOWITZ
Shopify Partner
252 20 34

Okay so technically the following things would be required:

1. being able to manage the graphics representing the actual NFT as a product 
  2. being able to sell a ‘license’ if you will for each part of the NFT the artist has created 
  3. being able to convert the license into the contract on the Ethereum chain
  4. make a licensed high res version of the file available to the user for download after the proof of work has been completed 
  5. At best all of this in auction format

Most of this Shopify can cover I guess. The bridge to the Ethereum blockchain should also be not to terribly complicated. 

> I hope you find my reply helpful. To let me know click on like!
> I'd love to help. Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
> WhatsApp: https://zeep.ly/UJ0nE | Email: mluebcke@gmail.com
simplyprado
Visitor
2 0 0

I think it is possible using Splyt Core Foundation's (https://www.splytcore.org/) TCP/eNFT protocol (Transmission Control Protocol for E-Commerce Non-Fungible Tokens). This project is still in progress and I reckon the documentation is not prepared. The ownership and responsibility of documentation are with Splyt Core Foundation and not with Shopify, because this is a decentralized (blockchain) e-commerce project or dCommerce project. Shopify is a (centralized) e-commerce company. In the future, even if there is documentation that is posted on Shopify, it is going to be the one that is prepared/approved by Splyt Core Foundation. 

simplyprado
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Natasha, do you know the difference between NFTify and Splyt Core? If I have understood correctly, NFTify positions themselves as "Shopify of NFTs", whereas Splyt says they are a non-profitable foundation where they are going to tokenise the items that are going to be bought/sold/hosted on Shopify (or any other platform) and call it eNFT (e-Commerce Non-Fungible Tokens). Splyt positions themselves as "internet of ecommerce" or "blockchain of (e-commerce) blockchains". Honestly, I did not understand properly. I think both NFTify and Splyt Core are going to operate in totally different capacities. If you have more knowledge about this, please do share it with me. 

foridev-apps
Shopify Partner
19 1 4

Hey, we have an app to sell codes using Shopify

https://apps.shopify.com/foridev-selling-codes-app

And we're thinking to add a feature to use NFT tokens.

After the purchase through Shopify, we will be able to generate NFTs.

I'm seeking early birds, who are interested in it.

And what would you advise to add from features, or how do you see it should work?

Developing Shopify apps. Search for "Foridev" in the Shopify App Store
VDaviy
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi. We can be your early birds in this. We develop our own marketplace of 3D models based on Shopify and need the plugin that lets us sell NFT.

my email: vitaliy.daviy@gmail.com

foridev-apps
Shopify Partner
19 1 4

I will reply to your email

BossApps
Shopify Partner
42 3 3

We are working on an app that will help you sell NFTs on your existing Shopify stores. It will integrate with Shopify checkout, you customers don't need crypto to buy NFTs. 

Its an invite only app right now. 

Nftfulfill.com

If you find the answer helpful give it a Like and ✓ Mark it as an Accepted Solution
Add a WhatsApp chat button to your Shopify store and boost your sales today! Learn more at Whatsapp Live Chat App.

ECORN
Tourist
3 0 2

Hey,
We made a research and collected all available information about NFTs on Shopify including recent updates. You can check full article here:
https://ecornagency.medium.com/set-up-your-nft-shopify-store-ultimate-guide-c82110c86af3

foridev-apps
Shopify Partner
19 1 4

Awesome article! Thanks for including Selling codes app

combased
Shopify Partner
36 1 5

Hey Hibbo,

We're building an app that would provide a solution for NFTs launch on your Shopify store. We're pretty close to the beta release, so if you're still interested - get in touch with me.

COMBASED - Launch NFTs on Your Store