I need an app that can do partial searches on SKU's

Handler
Tourist
11 1 3

Hi

This might be the wrong way to go about it, but here goes... I need an app that can do partial searches on SKU's in the backend (product admin area?)..
We have around 8.000 products with various SKU codes.
Sometimes because of human error (typos) or simply the manufacturer changing/updating part of the SKU code, I will only have part of the SKU to go by.
Shopify is terrible at searching partial SKU's, to such a degree that we are actively looking at moving our site. But we would lose a lot of functions that we love.
So if someone made / or know of an app, that can search partial SKU's and maybe edit in that app, we would jump on that app.

An example of our SKU’s would look like this: Ly75.T8.M4.83.75.251.OE
We want to be able to search 75.251.OE and still get a result. We currently don’t.

I have tried various apps, none worked for what we needed. So we're a little desperate 😕

Replies 8 (8)

growing_swede
Shopify Partner
12 0 3

Which apps did you try out?

I'd be interesting in getting my team to solve this problem for you and similar merchants.

Handler
Tourist
11 1 3

That would be amazing if you were able to make something that we could use. 

So I've lost track of all of them. But here are some we've tried.
They are by no means bad products. They just can't do what we need. 

Vela
Bulk Product Edit (Hextom)
EasyScan
Ablestar Bulk Product Editor
ConnectPOS
Matrixify

I've googlede it a few times, and it looks like we're not the only ones missing this feature.

I just need to be able to find a product with a partial SKU, and then edit it (usually to make it available or unavailable in the store).

Renars
Shopify Partner
284 31 332

Hello @Handler 

Renars here from Matrixify (Excelify).

Seems like you already tried our app, but you sure can filter your export by partial SKUs.

When creating an export in the app, select to export Products and details you need under Products. Then click on the `Filters` button where you can select the `Variant SKU` filter.
Select condition `contains any of` and then in the text field enter your SKU fragments.
The app should export any Products that have Variants whose SKU contains any of the listed fragments you have, so you can filter by multiple fragments in the same export.

Renars_0-1627634711310.png

I hope that is what you are looking for.
If that is not exactly it please let us know so we can document this as feature request for future development 🙂

Matrixify | Bulk Import Export Update | https://apps.shopify.com/excel-export-import | https://matrixify.app
Handler
Tourist
11 1 3

Hi @Renars 

Thank you for responding to this.

My "problem" with Matrixify is that we have to export to do the editing and searching. 

The webshop is part of a physical store that sells zippers, buttons and other sewing accessories. So the stock is being managed by very non-technical women. The stock is also updated almost daily. So it's simply too complicated at the moment to use Matrixify. Anything that is external/exported of Shopify (excel, spreadsheets, etc.) won't work in this particular case.

CloudlabSam
Shopify Partner
526 42 85

Hi there - Our free Report Toaster app can do this. Please feel free to take a look and let me know if you have any questions or need any help. We can be reached via Live chat in the app. Thanks!

Handler
Tourist
11 1 3

Hi @CloudlabSam 

It's still not entirely what we need. The partial search on SKU works amazingly. But we can't edit the product when we find it in Report Toaster? As far as I can tell...

But it's better than anything else I've been able to find. So now we can actually search our product library, and at the very least see if the product exists in our catalogue.

And I worry that the people who are actually going to be using it, will find it a little complicated to use (as I mentioned, the store is being run by very non-tech people).

But for the time being, we'll use Report Toaster. So thank you for the tip.

jpbecotte
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Handler,

I am a developper and I am looking for an idea for a new Shopify app to develop. I would love to know more about the problem you are facing. If you have a few minutes, I would have a few questions in regards of this matter. You can contact me at jp@bec.dev .

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

JanDispodyn
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi,

My firm has off-the-shelf solution for the problem you've sketched. PN me for more details using jan.hummen@dispodyne.com

Have a great day.

Jan