Is the Digital Downloads app no longer supported?

TekProdigy
Shopify Partner
3 0 11

I have a client using the Digital Downloads app for their store, which is a great solution for their needs, up until today, when I happened to be looking at the "App and sales channels" settings menu and found the app listed as Unsupported.

The app still appears to work, so I contacted Shopify support to see what is going on, and was told that the app will no longer be issued updates, and that it is recommended to look at alternative third party apps. It just seems very odd that Shopify would stop supporting such a basic feature, and that there's no announcement of this beyond the app showing as Unsupported, nothing in the official Shopify docs, on the App Store, anything else. What's even stranger is that in my development store, the app doesn't show as Unsupported.

I'm just writing to see if anyone else's store also shows the app as Unsupported (or has any additional information about the support of the app). Additionally I would like to provide my feedback that the app should at least be maintained, as it's a basic feature that I believe is fairly important to a lot of people, and dropping future support for a first party app out of the blue really doesn't give me the most confidence in being able to trust that features in Shopify will stick around.

Replies 10 (10)

StrikingViper69
Tourist
4 0 3

My copy of Digital Downloads is also showing as "unsupported", this will be a massive ball ache if Shopify stops supporting it

ReneeBean
Tourist
3 0 1

I just noticed the unsupported label too, App still seems to work but I would like more info about whats happening. I will contact shopify and see if I get the same info. I will not be impressed if the just drop it.

ReneeBean
Tourist
3 0 1

Well, I spoke to Shopify, and they said, 'The Digital Downloads app, developed by Shopify, continues to be maintained and supported. This implies that regular updates will be issued to ensure its consistent functionality within your Shopify store and its compatibility with ongoing updates to our platform.' They also suggested that uninstalling and reinstalling the app 'may' fix the problem. However, that will remove all the digital files, and re-uploading them all would probably take about 15 hours. So, at this point, I am going to leave it alone until it stops working and do some research on other digital apps. This way, I can have a backup app in mind if it ever does stop.

TekProdigy
Shopify Partner
3 0 11

Very interesting... The representative I spoke with told me specifically "The Digital Download app will no longer be issued updates" which is definitely different than what you got when you contacted. The store I'm working on isn't live yet and only has around 20 downloadable items, so I may try uninstalling and reinstalling today or tomorrow and I can let you know if that resolves the issue for me or not. In your case that isn't really a good option, and based on the replies here there's a total of 3 people including myself reporting the same issue, so maybe it's somehow possible to get this escalated to have someone look at more in depth.

TekProdigy
Shopify Partner
3 0 11

So I just uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and the "Unsupported" message did go away. Additionally, when I uninstalled and reinstalled, I did not lose any files in my case. I can't say that will always be the case though, but at least for me I didn't have to upload anything again. Best of luck with your store and hopefully you find a good option for your situation.

ReneeBean
Tourist
3 0 1

Awesome, glad it worked for you. Will give it a try when I have time and report back here then too.

Kafnod
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Did you try uninstalling/reinstalling the app to see if the "unsupported" alert disappears and if your digital files remains untouched? I am managing a store selling digital books and there are hundreds of them. Can't take the risk without absolute certainty.

Already testing alternatives in case Shopify would drop the Digital Download app for good.

Marcelb7
Visitor
2 0 1

Can confirm this too. I uninstalled the app, immediately reinstalled. All my files are luckily still there, and no 'unsupported' message anymore.

RJoseph
Tourist
9 0 9

Just checked my app today 3/10/2024 and mine says Unsupported as well. Also, when I go to "Resend Attachment Email" it looks like it's going to load, but I get an error page instead. However, I can go into the app and see that the files are still there. I'm really hoping they continue with this app because it is the easiest to use. On the look out for an app that doesn't charge $$$.

ARuthemann
Visitor
1 0 0

Same problem here.

I worked a whole week on setting up my shop which is for digital downloads only (this was the reason for me to choose shopify).

Today, I wanted to publish it but now it looks like I have to cancel my plan and look for an alternative. 
Or has anyone found a solution for this?