Limit discount code to 3 times use per customer

DCH1
2 0 1

Hi,

Currently Shopify can only limited discount code to 1 time use per customer.

Is there any good app that will allow me to increase to 3 times? Would like to give customers free shipping for 1st 3 orders.

Hope to hear your advice.

Replies 8 (8)
Ava
Shopify Staff
1034 69 164

Hey @DCH1 

Ava here from Shopify :)

I'm afraid this would not be possible at the moment, even with the help of an app. At the moment, discounts can only be limited by one per customer or per total usage. So I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to limit to 3 per customer.

I do think this is a great idea though! I will submit this to our internal team to be reviewed as a possible future feature of the admin. As our platform is constantly growing and improving, our team love to get feedback from our merchants on what features/edits they need to improve their workflow. So once I submit this as a feature request on your behalf, our team can review the request. So hopefully, this can be something that is available in the future.

There is never a guarantee that a request will get a Green Light, *or* make it to a product launch, but we really do appreciate you reaching out with your suggestion, as I’m sure you’re not the only merchant with this request.

While we would not have a specific timeline for how long that might take, you can definitely keep an eye on our announcements page. We will post any new updates or developments there!

Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help!

Ava

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Fran_1
Shopify Staff
122 6 31

Hi @DCH1 ,

Fran here from Shopify.

Just to follow up from @Ava 's post. As you and Ava mention correctly, at the moment Shopify settings allow merchants to limit a discount code only to 1-time use per customer.

I had a look into our App Store for an app that could be used as you want. I couldn't find one that offers all the feature you are looking for (to allow customers a limited amount of uses, but greater than one, and applied only to their 3 first orders).

However, I did find an alternative. There is an app which could be used as an email marketing app called Seguno that gives the opportunity to create custom discount codes to be sent automatically to each customer.

This way, you could set up the app to send 3 emails to your new customers with a unique code only for the first 3 orders. 
This app offers a free plan up to 250 customers, so you will be able to test it and see if it can solve your needs. 
There is also Personal Discount app that works in a similar way, and you could test.

It might not be an exact solution, but hope it helps in some way.

All the Best,

Fran

Fran | Language Care Guru @ Shopify
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

DCH1
2 0 1

Dear @Fran_1 and @Ava 

Thank you for your kind help.

I have tried Seguno, however the emails can only be sent to subscriber, whereas we would need all customers know the 2nd code to receive free shipping.

I guess it can't be helped. Thank you!

Tobins
3 0 0

@Ava @Fran_1 Did this ever go anywhere in dev? Are you intending to give this facility? I would like to be able to limit the number of times a discount code can be used in a promotional period. Not necessarily their first 3 orders, but just to 4 times or 3 times . It would be very useful. Let me know if it's got stuck in the backlog or may resurface to actually become a feature.

Ava
Shopify Staff
1034 69 164

Hey, @Tobins ! This is something you should be able to achieve in the admin section when you create a discount code. You can select the percentage off, then decide on all or specific products as well as the minimum price or quantity for the cart. After that, you can select a specific group of customers or one single customer to apply the discount to, and decide on the number of times (usage limit) the code can be used. 

This screenshot from my test store shows that one specific customer can use this code up to 4 times in this instance: 

25-49-86228-8175

There is some more information on usage limits here in our Help Centre, the excerpt is specific to the limits:

25-59-54424-88287

Would this work for your needs? Also, are there any specific discounts you’re thinking of running for the upcoming BFCM weekend? 

Tobins
3 0 0

@Ava thank you for the reply. That kind of works for me, but what would be ideal would be the ability to select 'everyone' and to be able to limit each customer to use the code 4 times only. So for example one of my offers for Black Friday is 3 months subscription free to a service when they buy a specific item. I don't want to give away more than a year in total to each of my dealers, so would like to be able to limit the use of the discount to 4 times only per dealer. If I set a total limit at number of dealers x 4 then some dealers could use it 15 times whereas others none and that doesn't really do what I want I'm afraid.

Ava
Shopify Staff
1034 69 164

Oh, I see! Thank you for adding some more context here. It sounds like you would benefit more from the Buy X Get Y discount rather than a percentage off. This means that if a customer has the specific item and the 3-month subscription item in their cart, they can use the discount code to get the 3 month subscription for free. You can also limit the use of this code to 4 times, and have it apply to every customer!

• You can set the Buy X Get Y, then set the item you want them to buy as the first item.
  • Next, you can add the 3 month subscription as the second item, as this is what the customer will get from the order.
  • You can select 'free', as you wanted to offer it as a free item with this specific product when the code is used:

26-17-26772-98466

Next, you can set some more criteria:

• I would recommend toggling the 'everyone' tab, as you want to offer this to all customers.
  • for usage, you mentioned 4 times so you can add that by clicking 'limit the number of times this discount can be used in total'
  • You mentioned you don't want customers to use this for longer than one year, so I would recommend adding an end date of one year from the date you activate the code.

26-27-57168-88682

There is also an option to set up an Automatic Discount code, this means the discount will be automatically applied in the checkout as long as the customer has the right items in their cart. Just so they don't need to enter the code themselves! However, there is no usage limit with automatic discounts as there would be with manual discounts; so your customers would be able to use this code more than 4 times. This would not be ideal for your needs, so the manual discounts would work better for you.

Would this work better for your needs? Let me know what you think!

Tobins
3 0 0

Hi @Ava,

As I understand the application of the rule 'Limit the number of times this discount can be used in total' means that if I select everyone and select 4 times, then the discount can be only used 4 times in total across all my 580 dealers. So that doesn't do what I need. I want to be able to give 580 dealers the opportunity to each use the discount 4 times. That doesn't mean filling in the 'Limit the number of...in total' box with 2,320 as one dealer could use it 2,320 times or a combination of dealers could use it more than 4 times. I need the 'limit to one use per customer' box to be a variable in circumstances where more than one customer has been selected - groups of, everyone or multiple individual customers. So I can limit use to 'x' per customer. In this particular case I am illustrating, I would select 'limit use to 4 per customer'. The reason for limiting any one dealer to use the discount 4 times means, as I am giving away 3 months of subscription, they will be limited to getting a total of 1 years subscription for free - as regards how to offer this deal with the buy X get Y I was ok with that, as I understood that was the way to offer that. I am running multiple discount options, so the automatic discount option could not be used as you could only have one of those running at one time.

Hope that makes sense Ava.