Can you manage and edit media in Shopify like in Wix?

ShannyHarel
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

We just migrated from Wix to Shopify. In Wix we had great media management: we could upload and save pics under folders, look for a specific folder, and could design (crop, lighten, etc) photos directly from there. Is there something similar in Shopify? At the moment the only way I found to upload and save a photo is through files (under settings) but there isn't an option to open and save folders.

Thanks

Replies 8 (8)

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

Shopify doesn't have folder organization for images. You have some primitive editing features for product images, just go to a product in the admin and click the product photos. You can crop, paint and resize from there.

★ Smart Upgrades, Tips and Tutorials for Shopify themes: cartpunk.com
Did my solution work? Help other Community members easily find the correct solution and apply it to their own stores by marking it as the Accepted Solution and giving it a Thumbs Up
NotU
Tourist
10 0 0

Hello @ThomasBorowski

Is it still the case? 

-I would like to reference some images and re-use them for repeated Products please, is it possible to do that? 

Kind regards,

NotU

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

What I wrote above is still the case.

What do you mean by "re-use them for repeated Products"? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Did my solution work? Help other Community members easily find the correct solution and apply it to their own stores by marking it as the Accepted Solution and giving it a Thumbs Up
NotU
Tourist
10 0 0

Fair enough. In my example I would like to add a Particular image to each repeating variant (Like adding bespoke swatch colours), can't attach images seemingly or would have posted example.

The colours I want to represent are painted wood, so a singe RGB or other specific colour entry isn't going to reproduce the example well at all. 

Kind regards,

NotU

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

First, you can assign an image to each variant, I assume you probably already know that.

As for swatches: Some themes come with out-of-the-box support for color swatches, some of them support images instead of just colors. If you theme doesn't support that your best bet is probably an app. Search the App Store for "swatches": https://apps.shopify.com/search?q=swatches

NotU
Tourist
10 0 0

Yes Sir, I do. thanks. 

And I have already added 30 Personal colours to our Theme's Palette. 

Thanks for suggestion of another theme or using an App plugin to resolve the issue, I will have to try that but this is exactly what causes delays on site speed. 

Ideally Shopify should have an image repository (as the data is on your servers anyhow), a Customers Media folder link to here would be amazing! 

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/

Thanks again,

NotU. 

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

You don't have to use an app, it's just the easiest way. There is the Files area in the Settings, which is accessible to the theme, and you could of course upload the images as theme assets. But to assign them to variants you would have to modify the theme code or have someone do it for you. It's not a huge deal for a Shopify developer with some experience.

NotU
Tourist
10 0 0

Hi Thomas, 

Thank you again, I'd not long remembered (and took a look at) the "Files" area shortly after my previous reply..

I would definitely prefer to upload them directly there and reference each as required! 

Good weekend to you.