Multiple Users / Profiles / Logins under one Shopify account

Kieron
Excursionist
39 0 1

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure this isn't a feature in Shopify (nor is there any 'work-around' - not even an account merge feature!). But is there a 3rd party app that can support multiple logins / users / profiles under one Shopify customer account?

We work with businesses, and there are multiple people in these businesses that would like to login and use our shop. Our issue is that not all people will know the email address nor password to use to order - and there's no way for us to share the password details with another person in the business.

I'm hoping there's an app that will work in a way that someone can login using their own email and password, and an order created by them is placed under the top-level / business account rather than an individual persons account.

With all the apps out there, it's hard to find one that works!

Kind regards,

Kieron

Replies 10 (10)

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

Hey, @Kieron 

That is correct, an account is a singular login with an email and a password. It's not possible to 'split' an account into several emails and passwords. This would simply be multiple staff accounts. Shopify supports the ability to add multiple staff accounts that you can have groups of people in the business share or each have their own unique login. You can learn more about staff accounts from our help center.

With that said, I'm curious to know what you're looking to accomplish in terms of your business's workflow? Are you working with wholesale clients that you want to give them access to place orders?

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Kieron
Excursionist
39 0 1

Hi Dirk,

I mean accounts for the customer, not staff accounts.

Sorry for any confusion.

Kind regards,

Kieron

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

Hey, @Kieron 

Sorry for the confusion there! With that said, each customer account is handled similarly to Shopify staff accounts. Each account will account for a singular login.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Paul_vd_Dool
Shopify Partner
107 6 95

Hi @Kieron,

I believe I created such a 3rd party app that you're looking for.

https://apps.shopify.com/doppelganger-app

I initially built it to help with the issue of duplicate accounts, customers who have placed orders under different accounts.

The app allows you to link these accounts together and creates an overview page for these accounts with all combined information. Including a list of all offers. It also gives suggestions of possible duplicates accounts based on names and delivery addresses.

I believe this might fit your needs as well.

I've only recently built this and am still working new feature. Primarily the option to show all orders of the linked accounts on the customer's order history page.

Feel free to try it out and I'd love to hear if this could work for you. Or if it doesn't, what changes I could perhaps make to make it useful for your use case.

Doppelganger - Managing duplicate user accounts
Kieron
Excursionist
39 0 1

Hi @Paul_vd_Dool ,

This sounds very promising!

Does your app physically merge two accounts into one on Shopify?

The main trouble I am having is with our accounting system - it takes the customers from Shopify and then invoices appropriately. But we can't have multiple accounts in our accounting system for one actual customer/business, so it needs to be shown as only one customer in Shopify so that only one customer is created in the accounting software.

If it does the above, then I think that'll perform exactly as we need!

Kind regards,

Kieron

Paul_vd_Dool
Shopify Partner
107 6 95

I'm afraid it doesn't.

Shopify doesn't allow that and even with my mighty developer skills, I'm not able to circumvent that. Doppelganger simply links the accounts together.

Is your accounting software linked to Shopify and does it pull in customers automatically? Or is there some manual action necessary to do that? Because if it's manual, we might be able to work out a solution. But if the software is integrated with Shopify, then I'm not sure if anything can be done without changes being made on the side of the accounting software that you are using.

Kieron
Excursionist
39 0 1

Hi @Paul_vd_Dool ,

The accounting software pulls the order through when the order is marked as paid - so for card payments it's automatic, for manual payments it's when we mark as paid. Although I think we may be able to configure this differently, if it was required.

Could you explain a little more about your app, if I have one customers with two accounts and one order on each account, does "linking" the customers mean that it copies the order from one account to the other, and then delete the original order? If it did that, I think it could work nicely.

Kind regards,

Kieron

Paul_vd_Dool
Shopify Partner
107 6 95

Hi @Kieron,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm afraid there isn't much I can do about the issues in your accounting software. It's linked directly with Shopify, listening for certain actions, but it's won't be aware of anything that is being done in Doppelganger. To also answer your question about how it works in the app, Doppelganger merely links the two accounts together. It will still be two separate accounts in the Shopify database.

Doppelganger creates a detail page of these linked accounts with a single overview of all orders. An upcoming feature will also allow you to display this list of orders on the order history page where customers themselves can see all combined orders themselves.

I did explore the possibility of actually transferring an order from one account to another. It is possible to mimic this by creating a whole new order on the correct account with most of the same data and removing the previous order. But that option comes with a myriad of potential issues. First and foremost there is an accounting issue. You're actually creating another order. Possibly on a different day or even month. And that piece of information, the order date, can't be adjusted. The order will get a new order number and will be dated as an order made today. This can muddle analytics and can cause confusion in your books. Or it triggers automated messages to the customer saying their order is cancelled and then on a second email address saying their order is confirmed. Or invoices are automatically generated if one uses accounting software.

I am toying with the idea of adding the feature with a big "At your own risk" message because if it's done on the same day (or close to the same day) the consequences might be minimal. But it's not high up on my list of features I want to add.

There is no perfect solution for the issues that come with duplicate accounts, but I like to believe that with Doppelganger I'm building 'the next best thing'.

Jesper20
Shopify Partner
29 1 4

Hi @Paul_vd_Dool 

Would see if you could answer me if your app could solve our problem.

We sell products to our partners and each partner has 1 partner account that they purchase from, however, each account can have multiple users. So our challenge moving it to shopify is that we then need to link all the users that are with the same partner account, so that all users can see the combined order history in their shopify account.

Would the dobbelganger app be able to solve this?

Best regards

Jesper

Paul_vd_Dool
Shopify Partner
107 6 95

Hi @Jesper20,

I had been working on a feature that allows just that. It was a theme extension that you could add to the customer account page that would fetch and display orders from accounts linked to the account the user is logged into. It wouldn't have the exact same functionality. With an actual order on that same account, you would be able to navigate to the order detail page. But since you'd need to be authorised as the account owner, that wouldn't work for orders on other linked accounts.

But, unfortunately, there were some bugs on Shopify's side that took a long time to resolve. Then they basically prevented any theme extension to be added to the account page in 2.0 themes. So I was stuck for months on it and new things came up that took precedence.

I should still have the code for a non-theme-extension version, so if you're comfortable with messing with the code, you could perhaps add Liquid and Javascript to add it yourself to the account page to work with Doppelganger.
Send me a DM if you're interested and I'll see what I can do.