Need Advice for Efficiently Retrieving All Collections in Shopify App Using GraphQL

AhsanBetalogics
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hello amazing Shopify community members!

I hope you're all doing well. I'm currently working on a Shopify app and I'm facing a challenge related to efficiently fetching all collections using GraphQL without encountering query limit errors. I would greatly appreciate any insights or guidance you can provide.

My goal is to retrieve a list of all collections in the store using a single GraphQL query. However, I've noticed that as the number of collections grows, I'm starting to hit query limits and performance issues. I'm sure some of you have encountered similar situations and might have come up with innovative solutions.

Could you please share your expertise on how to structure a GraphQL query that efficiently fetches all collections? Perhaps there are certain best practices, optimizations, or techniques that could help me avoid query limit errors and ensure a smooth experience for my app users.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences and suggestions. Thank you so much for your time and support!

Replies 4 (4)

Talktohenryj
Shopify Partner
106 0 19

Are you querying using this endpoint? https://shopify.dev/docs/api/storefront/2023-07/queries/collections

If so, it should only be one query. Can you share your code snippet?

AhsanBetalogics
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

I have effectively integrated cursor-based pagination, and it's operating flawlessly. As the cursor method doesn't align with my current goal, I'm actively exploring alternative methods to retrieve all collections. It's worth noting that I've ruled out the bulk creation API due to its incompatibility with the new Remix template I'm using.

remy727
Shopify Partner
41 2 22

If you are using Ruby, you can check this.

The important note is that $cursor should be String, not String!

Then you can use one GraphQL query to retrieve all collections with nested pagiation.

Looking for a Shopify App developer? Please visit: https://github.com/remy727
AhsanBetalogics
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hey Remy,

I'm currently using Remix with the Shopify app. I've implemented a cursor and pagination, and it's working perfectly. However, I'm facing an issue when trying to export the entire collection to a CSV file. Since I can't use the cursor method for this purpose, I'm looking for an alternative way to fetch all the collections.

I came across another method which involves using the `graphqlbulkcreation` API. The problem I'm encountering is that this query doesn't seem to work on the new Remix template I'm using.