Can both users view messages in Shopify's online chat?

Deemis
Tourist
12 0 0

Hi 

I activated the chat quite a long time ago.  But no messages when I log into the store owner although it said we have over 900 messages

Now we have activated the second user to see the apps and channels and all 900+ messages have been collecting in the inbox on there.

This is not good for our business, as messages have been left unanswered.

How can we activate it so the both the users can see the messages?

Kind regards

Daksha Mistry

Store Owner - Incy Wincy Swimstore

Replies 9 (9)

PatrickJacobs
7 0 0

Hi Daksha.  We have a chat solution that may be a better if you're looking to make your chat more shoppable.  You can check it out here.  We have a 14 day free trial.  Happy to answer any questions you might have.  Thanks and good luck!

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hi, @Deemis.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

Just to confirm, are you using Shopify Inbox (formerly known as Shopify Chat) or a different third-party chat app for this function on your store?

If you're using the Shopify Inbox and the chat function has been set up on your store, then it's possible that the original device wasn't set up correctly to receive the messages. To help check whether your device(s) are set up correctly, so that you can receive the messages on both devices - I'd recommended going through our step-by-step guide here: Set up Shopify Inbox on desktop or Set up Shopify Inbox on a mobile device. If you run into any roadblocks with this, then this is something that our Support team can help you with. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, our Support team be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. To get in touch with our Support team, please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account.

As for third-party apps, the app developers are always available to assist you with any issues that you may encounter with their app. If the app you're using came from our App Store, then you can reach out to the developer directly through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. However, if the app is installed from a developer's website, then you'll want to reach out to them through the website.

I'd love to know if this helps point you in the right direction. Let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Deemis
Tourist
12 0 0

I am going round in circles.  It asks to set up and then I end up in messages but not message. Dashboard say 47 conversations. Not really helpful!

Robyn171
Visitor
1 0 1

I am having a similar issue where we arent' notified if a chat comes in- I have to be actively watching the Shopify InBox app.  It used to be that I got an SMS or notification with Shopify Ping. This makes the idea of "chat" decidedly horrible from a customer perspective as we aren't notified and can't respond promptly.

Deemis
Tourist
12 0 0

True.

Until the issue is resolved, it is better to switch off the app.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Robyn171 & @Deemis.

Thanks for the additional context!

We haven't received any other reports of the notifications failing to send with Shopify Inbox. However, if the issue persists, then it looks like we’ll need to access your account in order to resolve this issue. As mentioned previously, we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community Forums. Nevertheless, our Support team is available to assist you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request

I'd love to know if our Support team can help identify and resolve these issues. Keep me posted!

Mike_Minarsich
4 0 0

Is there a way to change or remove the requirement to enter a phone number before being able to leave a message in chat? Or require an email address instead?

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Mike_Minarsich.

Welcome to the thread!

There isn't a way to change/remove the requirement to enter a phone number, or switch to an email requirement at this time. However, I can see how such features can be a beneficial feature for our merchants, like yourself, and I'd be happy to share this feedback with our developers for future considerations. If Shopify moves forward with any changes or updates to the Shopify Inbox, then you'll be able to find it on our changelog or updates page. 

If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Deemis
Tourist
12 0 0

Hi Elias,

I am going round in circles with this.  I have followed these steps twice both on my laptop and desktop.  The only thing I can think of is that it is only working on my assistants desktop computor, This a pity as when she is on annual leave I  have to login on her computer to answer any questions.  Therefore I have switched off the chat function as I don't want customers to think we are ignoring them.

It worked when I was using Ping.