Solved

Online Store 2.0 - App Block Question

DevBijan
Shopify Partner
52 2 17

Hi all, I am experimenting with creating App Blocks for my app. I am following along with the documentation here.

I got to Step 5 and started having problems. I tried creating the product.json file, but Shopify gives me an error saying "File extension is not valid for file templates/product.json". The normal file would typically be called product.liquid

I tried using the code editor and pulling the theme into VSCode to see if I could do it like that, no luck.

I'm not sure what to do and because it's so new there's nothing to Google. Any help or ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

Accepted Solution (1)

Yuya_M
Shopify Partner
15 4 7

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, I got the same error message and was not able to upload “product.json” into templates folder.

I tried the same process on the other development store which I created after June 29th.

It seems working now. I was able to upload “product.json into templates folder.

Also, I tried other features of new Shopify CLI on old development stores but I got many errors. 

It seems that you need to make a new development store for trying out Shopify CLI’s new new features. 

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)

Colin_S
Shopify Partner
4 1 1

Are you working from a development store? I believe that’s the only way you’re able to play with it at the moment. 

VentureWeb
Shopify Expert
3 0 3

I just spoke with support.  Doesn't look like we can use this on live stores or dev stores created before June 29.  Hope that gets changed in the near future as it's not feasible to rebuild an existing store!

"Based on checking my resources here with careful review, pre-existing stores don't have any option to convert it to Online Store 2.0. The 2.0 features will be available to a newly created development store as all new development stores from June 29th onwards. Based on checking here, I believe they may slowly roll out the feature to all stores, but it may also only be sandbox stores - it's a little unclear since it's so new. But I can confirm at this time it can only be used on newly dev stores for now."

Yuya_M
Shopify Partner
15 4 7

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, I got the same error message and was not able to upload “product.json” into templates folder.

I tried the same process on the other development store which I created after June 29th.

It seems working now. I was able to upload “product.json into templates folder.

Also, I tried other features of new Shopify CLI on old development stores but I got many errors. 

It seems that you need to make a new development store for trying out Shopify CLI’s new new features. 

DevBijan
Shopify Partner
52 2 17

Thank you, I made a new dev store and I have product.json now!

JoshHighland
Shopify Expert
175 10 65

Thank you. Creating a new app store got it working for me.

I wonder how ling it will be before its available in older stores and to merchants

SEO Manager - The FREE all-in-One SEO solution for Shopify
A powerful suite of SEO tools that gets you found in Google results

- Install SEO Manager -
Yuya_M
Shopify Partner
15 4 7

Do you know where Shopify would announce this kind of topic? The new documentation dev site is talking a lot about new Online Store 2.0 but I don't see good information about compatibility.

Thank you!