Order printer App – not possible to print via POS App on tablet in the right format

Jan_Mueller-Wie
2 0 0

Hello!

We are using the Order Printer App on our desktop with the Order Printer Templates from Bjorn Forsberg, which works just fine. We also want to print the invoices directly from the iPad with the Shopify POS App and the integrated order printer App but unfortunately the template looks completely different from what we see on the desktop (its only half of an A4 page and the logo is not placed in the middle of the page). He (Bjorn) looked into this on his side and said that he cannot fix this on his end. It's also not working with the default Order Printer templates – again its cropped to a third of the A4 page. Seems like its somehow transforming the templates into horizontal format but still printing on a vertical A4 page!? On our iPad, there is no button or option to define the paper format. 

This is the reply I got from Shopify:

"I just heard back from our Technical Team with regards to the layout of your Order Printer templates on ipad. Unfortunately we have no control over the printer settings on the iPad, the printer and the ipad decide on the print layout itself.

As an example, our Technical Team tested your order printer form on one of the iPads in the Shopify office and the order printed out correctly in portrait mode, however they had no ability to alter that.

They are advising to ask the printer manufacturer if there is a way to force it as this wouldn't be something we can change on our end." 

When printing anything else via the iPad it sets the paper format correctly – photos, pages documents or websites... 

We are using an iPad mini 3, a brand new HP Printer (Color Laserjet MFP M477fdw) that is able to literally do anything besides cooking and the app and the iPad are running with the latest updates. 

I have no idea what to do – I checked the printer settings, iPad settings, other apps etc. but I have no clue. Maybe someone here can help? Or does anyone else has this problem? 

Thank you so much for your help! 

Best regards

UPDATE: I also checked on my private iPad at home, which is not connected to the printer that we have here and its also an other iPad model but I am still facing this problem – with the Order Printer Template from Bjorn and with the default template from Shopify. 

When printing via the Safari Browser on the iPad it's working in the right format but unfortunately the footer with Website URL and Time, Date and "Page 1 from 1" is visible then... So, almost good but we still cant use it that way.

Replies 6 (6)
Kasimir
Shopify Partner
385 0 70

Hello Jan,

Where could I find the templates to play around with them? I've solved a similar issue with a client of mine before and it was just using a bit more clever css to work around the issue. You might need to have duplicate invoice styles tho, one for desktop and one for ipad.

Kasimir

"Good design is good business"
Jan_Mueller-Wie
2 0 0

Hello Kasimir,

thank you very much for your reply! 

As we are facing this problem as well with the default order printer templates, this might be helpful: https://help.shopify.com/manual/apps/apps-by-shopify/order-printer/default-templates#invoice-templat...

I guess the one from Bjorn is based on that, but I think I can't publish his code here :-) – its from the App Order Printer Templates. 

Best regards

Anna

Kathryn_Fletche
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello Kasimir

I beg you please can you help us too, we are desperately trying to print an awkward invoice template via Order Printer but it is causing real problems via the iPad as it comes out 2/3rds the size, happy to employ you as a freelancer to resolve this issue for us?

We also find that Order Printer is very sensitive and I created a shipping lable with our own standard font but it knocked all the templates out.

So I'd love to remedy this too and a get proper solution.

Fingers crossed

Kathryn

Kasimir
Shopify Partner
385 0 70

Hello Kathryn,

Can you send me a message on kasimir@johd.in and I can take a look into it and we can discuss it further.

Kasimir

"Good design is good business"
Kathryn_Fletche
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello Kasimir

For some reason I never got a notification of your reply! I'm gutted, the problem has passed now, we ended up getting around it with some clever CSS / bit of re-styling to compensate for the margin that strangely is added on during the print process by the iPad, which I assume is for some appley reason yet to make sense of.

Thanks for your reply though x

PigsyStudio
Excursionist
13 1 7

Hello Kathryn_Fletche, we recently encountered the same issue for our store. Just wondering if you can help.

Many thanks!

Eric