Order Printer - Tip added as a line item

Myusernameis
Tourist
11 1 4

Hi Everyone, hoping someone can help with the coding of this..

We added the function for people to "Tip" but we did it in a different way. We are encouraging people to use this function to "donate" where we will match their donation to a food bank dollar for dollar (we wanted to help contribute to helping people).

Now I have run in to an issue with order printer which we use to accompany a delivery. the word "1 x TIP" shows as a line item now. Can someone suggest an edit that:
- ideally will remove this altogether
- or rename tip to "thank you for your donation" as a last resort. 

here is the code I am currently working with:

<table class="table-tabular" style="margin: 0 0 1.5em 0;">
  <thead>
    <tr>
      <th>Quantity</th>
      <th>Item</th>
      {% if show_line_item_taxes %}
      <th>Taxes</th>
      {% endif %}
      <th style="text-align: center;">&nbsp;Fulfilled &nbsp;<br> Today</th>
    </tr>
  </thead>
  <tbody>
    {% for line_item in unfulfilled_line_items %}
      <tr>
        <td>{{ line_item.quantity }} x</td>
        <td><b>{{ line_item.title }}</b></td>
        {% if line_item.tax_lines %}
          <td>
            {% for tax_line in line_item.tax_lines %}
              {{ tax_line.price | ☐ }} {{ tax_line.title }}<br/>
            {% endfor %}
          </td>
        {% endif %}
        <td style="text-align: center; vertical-align: middle;">☐</td>
      </tr>
    {% endfor %}
  </tbody>
</table>

I should imagine the code is {{if line_item.title = "Tip" }} or something along those lines.. please help you coding geniuses!

Thanks!! 

0 Likes
Lixon_Louis
Shopify Partner
1186 35 257

Try this @Myusernameis 

<td> {% unless line_item.title contains  'Tip' %} {{ line_item.quantity }} x {%endunless%} </td>
<td>
   {% unless line_item.title contains  'Tip' %}<b>{{ line_item.title }}</b> {%else%} Thanks for the Tip!{%endunless%}
</td>

Sarahfeeney
1 0 0

Hi there,

I'm having the same issue when I changed my Tips to Donations. The front (store) reads Donations but everywhere in the back (shopify reporting, invoices etc) reads Tips. How can I make it read Donations across the board?

Thanks in advance from a desperate novice!

0 Likes
JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
1402 124 374

@Sarahfeeney you can edit the front end at will, and the notification templates (like what appears in earlier in the thread) but the back end you don't have access to your admin panel code to be able to rename and change things around, I checked the Shopify tips settings and don't see anywhere to change this.

To answer your question: How can I make it read Donations across the board?

I think the only way to do this would be to add donations as a product / line item. This is what our app Tip Jar does, it allows you to collect the donation before checkout and edit anything about it (name, amounts, image), the bonus to collecting before checkout is it's compatible with 3rd party payment providers (PayPal, apple pay, etc). The bonus of Shopify tips is it's free and can be used in checkout without needed Shopify Plus.

If you don't want to go the app route, couple things you could do:

- Update your order notification templates to change the name of tip line items to Donation (using liquid code similar to above, but have it say "Thanks for the Donation"). Here are the reference variables: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/notifications/email-variables

- Let your team (anyone that reads reports) know that Tip = Donation

- For invoices, if you're using an app for them, ask if they have a way to customize. If you're talking about something in the Shopify admin, if you can edit it manually then it can be automated (with a script or app). If you cannot edit it, consider some kind of wording in a notification email that lets customers know that tip = donation.

- Another idea, email 5 customers and ask for their feedback (was it confusing that it said "tip"?... you could also ask them feedback on your ideas for letting them know tip = donation, since you can't change in your system)

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts, theme customization, custom app development).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders and customers + auto fulfillment + more automations).
More apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing), Tip Jar (add a tip button), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid).
0 Likes