Running Shopify Theme Kit on M1 Mac

BWid55
Shopify Partner
13 0 4

I had theme kit running on my pc but had to get a new computer because it wasn't handling running rpm for scss.

I got a new M1 MacBook and it's nice but I can't run theme kit. I have terminal running on Rosetta and successfully downloaded brew. Through brew I downloaded theme kit, but when I run theme in terminal I get this following error:

zsh: bad CPU type in executable: theme

I really need to get up and running asap. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Replies 4 (4)

Zworthkey
Shopify Partner
5581 642 1565

@BWid55 
Have you followed this doc?
I hope this will work easily.
https://shopify.dev/themes/tools/theme-kit/getting-started#macos

Thank you.

BWid55
Shopify Partner
13 0 4

@Zworthkey  I believe the only instructs there are to 1. set the terminal to run as rosetta and 2. run the other instructions as normal. Unless I missed something then I did follow these instructions but still am getting this error.

EDIT: Some additional information. I tried rerunning the install with:

brew tap shopify/shopify
brew install themekit

and received this warning:

Warning: shopify/shopify/themekit v1.3.0 is already installed and up-to-date.

To reinstall v1.3.0, run:

brew reinstall themekit

brendan@Brendans-MacBook-Pro ~ % 

Which says to me the files are there, but when I type enter "theme" to test if it's functioning I get the first error I posted.

suchintan
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

I was running into the same issue on my M1. Here's my fix on top of running terminal with rosetta2 (x86 compatible which is pretty much running commands with `arch -x86_64` prefix):

reinstall x86-compatible brew binary:

```

arch -x86_64 /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh)"

```

reinstall ruby (forgot why i picked 3.1 because i somehow saw a post mentioning that some shopify npm package depends on ruby >2.6, <3.2) and all the shopify packages with this x86-compatible brew:

```

arch -x86_64 brew install ruby@3.1

arch -x86_64 /usr/local/bin/brew tap shopify/shopify

arch -x86_64 /usr/local/bin/brew install themekit

```

Arthur_I_A
Tourist
5 0 1

I encountered the same problem with my M2 Max Chip.

Updating Rosetta worked for me →

softwareupdate --install-rosetta