How can I manage inventory stock of variants on Shopify?

diananh
Shopify Partner
38 0 4

Hi,

I am facing issue with managing inventory stock of variants.

I am selling Incensesticks with variants like - 2 packs, 3 packs, 5 packs, etc.

Now Shopify handles all these variants with their different quantities. For eg: 2 packs (Out of stock), 3 packs (10 qty), 5 packs(30 qty).

Due to this if any customer wants to order 2 packs, then he will be unable to do that as its out of stock but I can still fulfill the order by dividing the 5 packs into 2 packs. This way I am losing my customers. Currently the only solution I have is to manually adjust that which is not always possible as I have lots of products on my website.

Is there any way/app which can deduct the quantity on bases of total count of product and not the individual variants. So if I have total 30 pieces, and someone orders 2 packs then automatically it will come to 28 allowing the customers to order all variants.

In the worst case, if above is not possible is there any app which can atleast notify me when the stock level falls below a threshold value so I can edit manually as soon as it ends.

My website - https://incensesticks.com/products/jasmine-incense-sticks

Thanks in advance!

Replies 4 (4)

Moeed
Shopify Partner
3697 932 1166

Hey @diananh 

To manage inventory stock of variants in a way that allows customers to order different combinations of variants, you can consider using a third-party app or implementing custom coding. Here are a few possible solutions:

1. Advanced Inventory Management Apps: Shopify offers various inventory management apps that provide advanced features to handle stock management. These apps can allow you to track inventory at the product level instead of individual variants, ensuring that you can fulfill orders by combining different variants. Some popular apps in this category include Stocky, TradeGecko, and DEAR Inventory.

2. Custom Coding: You can hire a Shopify developer to create a custom solution for managing inventory stock. The developer can build a custom app or modify your existing setup to deduct quantities at the product level based on the total count of products, rather than individual variants. This custom solution would require programming knowledge and may involve integration with inventory management systems or APIs.

3. Low Stock Notifications: If you are unable to find a suitable app or implement custom coding for combining variant quantities, you can focus on setting up low stock notifications. Shopify has built-in inventory management features that allow you to set a notification threshold for each product or variant. When the stock level falls below the specified threshold, Shopify can send you an email or notification, prompting you to manually adjust the inventory. Although this solution does not automate the process, it helps ensure you stay aware of low stock levels and can take action promptly.

It's recommended to evaluate different app options or consult with a Shopify expert to find the best solution that meets your specific inventory management needs. Additionally, consider the costs, compatibility with your existing setup, and the scalability of the solution as your business grows.

If I managed to help you then, don't forget to Like it and Mark it as Solution!

Best Regards,
Moeed

Need a Shopify developer? Chat on WhatsApp

- For Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Coding | Custom Modifications
- Your Coffee Tip and my code, A perfect blend. ❤️
diananh
Shopify Partner
38 0 4

Hii @Moeed , 

Thanks for your reply.

None of the above is able to resolve my issue.

Regarding the apps, i can only find stocky but its also not compatible with my Shopify version.

Also, I cannot find any section in Shopify where I can set the threshold value.

Am I missing something?

Not applicable

Hi @diananh,

If you hire a developer you can get rid of the variants and modify the product template to have quantity presets. This would effectively solve the inventory issue.

I can show you an example if you like. 

Regards,

Sam - Owner / Lead Developer

Achieve Applabs

oscprofessional
Shopify Partner
15846 2371 3074

Hi @diananh,

We have already managed out of stock products/variants for our client by doing some setting in admin level and also implemented the code for products which are out of stock. There are two ways,

Option 1. We have created collection of 'Out of Stock' products and applied the condition as shown in screenshot attached. Here you can see we have 'Collection type' is automated, which will automatically add out of stock products to this collection and you can easily find out all out of stock products.

Option 2. On code level we need to check the inventory and we can take orders as backorder. You can get the orders via email.

Our code will send and email on conditionally managed button on product and listing page.

Please let me know if you have queries regarding this.

Thanks...

oscprofessional_0-1686052578446.png

Get pass your Store Core Web Vital Free Speed Optimization Audit, Chat on WhatsApp | Skype : oscprofessionals-87 | Email: pallavi@oscprofessionals.com | Custom Pricing Wholesale App : Free | Hire us | Guaranteed Site Speed Optimization | Website Free Audit | Shopify Theme Customization | Build Shopify Private App | Shopify SEO | Digital Marketing