Solved

Since Private Apps has been deprecated, does this mean there is also an end of life?

Funnel
Shopify Partner
28 0 15

Private Apps are deprecated since January 2022 according to this https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/apps/private-apps 

Is there also an end of life for Private Apps? For how long will Private Apps continue to work? Is there a date when people need to "migrate" and set up a new app to be able to give API access?

Accepted Solution (1)
Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

This is an accepted solution.

App developers should receive an email if a deadline is announced. I also recommend keeping an eye on these changelogs:

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

Hi, @Funnel!

Although you can no longer create private apps, existing private apps will continue to work.

If you have private apps on clients' stores, please ensure that your contact information is up to date under Apps > Develop apps in the Emergency developer email field. This is how Shopify will get in touch with you if there's a potential issue.

While there is no set deadline for when you might need to migrate a private app to a custom app, you can follow this guide to create custom apps if you'd like to make the switch now.

Funnel
Shopify Partner
28 0 15

Thank you for the quick response! 🙂 Just one more question, how will you announce when there is a deadline for migration of Private Apps? Will there be an email sent to all customers or is there a site with updates we can follow?

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

This is an accepted solution.

App developers should receive an email if a deadline is announced. I also recommend keeping an eye on these changelogs:

gopinathkujalli
Visitor
2 0 0

As per the January 19th changelog

https://changelog.shopify.com/posts/private-apps-are-being-automatically-converted-to-custom-apps

All Private apps are automatically converted to Custom App. How can we confirm that the private app that we installed are converted to custom app. Will this continue to run or do we need to take any further action or any deadline related to private app deprecation we need to consider?

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 318

This migration happened automatically and without impacting existing API keys. After migration from the private to custom framework, merchant apps will continue to function as they currently do, and merchants won’t need to take any action.

All impacted merchants will see a banner on the app detail page within the admin (Settings > Apps and sales channels) after migration. The banner will indicate that your app was automatically converted and no action is required. Have you seen that banner?

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.