Solved

Storing Data/State management/Data Caching

mford516
Visitor
2 0 1

I need to be able to store some temporary data prior to checking out, specifically the customers will be building a list of recipient addresses for whom they purchase the products to be sent. I know I can do it in localStorage more or less, but my app search has been fruitless and I know I can't be the only person with this specific need/functionality.

Essentially, I need a means to store some input data (preferably in a JSON object) that I can later append to the order itself upon submission.

Limited budget and limited timeline, so really hoping there is an existing app that could fill the gap here.

Accepted Solution (1)

bishpls
Shopify Partner
26 6 21

This is an accepted solution.

Cart / Order notes or attributes can serve as a limited means of storing session metadata, with the caveat that Buy It Now / Dynamic Checkout buttons obliterate anything stored in them. 

https://shopify.dev/api/ajax/reference/cart#post-cart-update-js

As long as cart attributes aren't being used for anything else and there's no Dynamic Checkout set up on the site, you can use the 'attributes' Object for arbitrary JSON-blob data, and pull it into Checkout Additional Scripts via the Liquid macro '{{ attributes.foo }}'. 

If you're using Dynamic Checkout buttons, the only safe way I know of is to code your own LocalStorage solution; I would love for someone to chime in with a better alternative if one exists! 

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

bishpls
Shopify Partner
26 6 21

This is an accepted solution.

Cart / Order notes or attributes can serve as a limited means of storing session metadata, with the caveat that Buy It Now / Dynamic Checkout buttons obliterate anything stored in them. 

https://shopify.dev/api/ajax/reference/cart#post-cart-update-js

As long as cart attributes aren't being used for anything else and there's no Dynamic Checkout set up on the site, you can use the 'attributes' Object for arbitrary JSON-blob data, and pull it into Checkout Additional Scripts via the Liquid macro '{{ attributes.foo }}'. 

If you're using Dynamic Checkout buttons, the only safe way I know of is to code your own LocalStorage solution; I would love for someone to chime in with a better alternative if one exists! 

mford516
Visitor
2 0 1

Thanks for the response! I was just talking it through with a buddy (both of us Shopify noobs) and we mapped out almost exactly what you suggested, so thanks for the confirmation!

I'll leave the question open for a little while longer in case someone else has a different idea, but I'll come back and accept your solution after some time if no one else responds.

Thanks again.