Transfer of ownership for Shopify Apps from developer to client

Ferguson
Tourist
6 0 3

Hi there,

We have a Shopify Partners account as we develop websites for our clients. We sometimes install paid apps for their site. However, once the website is done and we transfer the ownership of the site to our client, our clients would need to go in to individually pay for the apps that we've installed - which can be quite a tedious process for them. Is there a way for us to purchase the apps on their behalf before the transfer so they don't have to go through the process?

Replies 2 (2)

Don
Shopify Staff
2761 199 388

Hi there @Ferguson!

Don here from Shopify.

Thanks for sharing your query with us here in the Shopify Community.

As you've probably noticed, there are some restrictions in place for development stores before they are handed over to the merchant.

One of those limitations is the inability to install paid apps before the handoff to the merchant.

That said, there is a list of so-called 'Partner-friendly' apps in our app store here you can check out that are available to add.

As paid apps necessarily require being billed for this service, it would be required that the merchant themselves commit to making this arrangement and paying for those services.

Is there anything else you wanted to know about working on development stores for clients or any other functionality you'd like to see?

Let us know here whenever we can help out!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

supafly
Excursionist
19 0 8

I have this same issue in trying to help my client build and manage their shop. They are aware and approve of the Shopify plan, theme, and app fees that I recommend for them but they don't have the time and know-how to install and pay for them so I can continue building their store. It's why they hire someone to deal with all this in the first place.

I wish Shopify would create some sort of authorization check box that would allow the store owner to assign similar owner/admin privileges to staff and collaborators of their choosing.

One of my clients are a husband/wife team and only one of them can be made store owner and have owner privileges to see billing/payment areas and buy things? Silly! And when I have to contact them to say, let's set up a call so I can walk you through adding an app or setting up your final payments settings, and they say "can't you do this for us?" and I have to tell them "no?" Silly.

I don't think Shopify needs to babysit company owners in this way. Allow them to give full privileges to the people and vendors they trust. Please. Thank you.