Solved

Trying to purchase app - Metafields Guru fails

petermud
Tourist
6 0 4

I get the following error message when trying to 'approve subscription'. We are using the admin user account within a Partner account to purchase the plugin (app). We are in the development phase so this site is not live but I need to use the Metafields Guru functionality The error message pops up in red at the bottom - "The shop cannot accept the provided charge". We are based in the UK and have tried a Credit card and Paypal and neither approach work.

Can you advise any fixes for this?

Added screenshot of page where I am trying to add payment. @MetafieldsGuru 

Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 12.00.05.png

Accepted Solution (1)
Renars
Shopify Partner
284 31 332

This is an accepted solution.

Hello @petermud 

Renars here from Matrixify.

This is indeed a known issue. It is not down to specific apps, but the fact that store is a development store.

As per Shopify development store manuals - "You can only install free apps and partner-friendly apps"

Partner-friendly app is explained in Shopify App store as - "These apps are free to test in development stores. Regular charges will apply once the store is switched over to a paid plan."

So essentially - you are not able to approve app charges in the development store and are able to only use free plans and might be charged when switching store to a live store.

The issue here with the Matrixify app (and I assume other apps with the same issue) is that it is largely used in development stores to set up the store and not used once the store is live. (After a while when the store needs bulk actions it might use the app but usually not right after it is developed and set live).

So it would require us to provide the app for free to development stores which of course does not make any sense to us as the stores would not pay for the app once live.

We have also reached out to Shopify about this, but currently, their solution is - activate paid Shopify plan in the store and then approve the app subscription.

That is one place where our offer of 1 additional free subscription per every 1 paid subscription comes in handy.

So if you have another store that is a live store, you can activate the app to the same plan in your dev store by linking it as a free additional store. Here we have a page that explains more on how to set it up.

I hope this explains our side of this issue, and hopefully, Shopify at some point will allow dev stores to link card details and approve app charges/subscriptions without activating the Shopify plan.

Matrixify | Bulk Import Export Update | https://apps.shopify.com/excel-export-import | https://matrixify.app

View solution in original post

Replies 9 (9)

MetafieldsGuru
Shopify Partner
158 32 95

Hi there,

Sasha here from Metafields Guru team.

Indeed, that's quite an odd issue. For some reason, Shopify won't allow your account to initiate an app charge.

I managed to find multiple support threads on similar issue: here and there.

Can you please submit a ticket from your Shopify admin panel so that we'll be able to have a closer look at this issue together? In my opinion, it would be a more convenient and secure place to share the details needed to investigate the issue. Submitting a ticket won't take much time, all you need to do is to click on two buttons:

1.png

Hope to hear from you soon : )

Best regards,

Sasha Kachkovskyi

Co-founder and CEO

256 Development

Check out Metafields Guru, the #1 ranked metafields app.

Bulk editor | Data import/export | Metafield sets | Browser extension

ProCommerce
Shopify Partner
17 1 1

Hey Peter,

Can you please tell me how did you fix this issue? I am having the same problem.

I am a Shopify partner and create development stores frequently for my clients and upon completion transfer the store ownership to them.

I had never experienced this issue before but today when I am trying to install an app on a newly created development store it asked me to enter a credit card that I did and when tried to click on "Approve Subscription". It gives me an error. "The shop cannot accept the provided charge"

Please guide. Many thanksError-The shop cannot accept the provided charge.png

Best Regards

Danish Raja | www.ProCommerce.net
Top-Rated Seller | Fiverr Pro | Shopify Partners
MetafieldsGuru
Shopify Partner
158 32 95

Hi @ProCommerce ,

Sasha here from Metafields Guru team.

Well, this issue is related to a completely different app, but I'll gladly help you to figure out what's going on. The thing is that, as mentioned in the official Shopify documentation, you can install only free and partner-friendly apps while running a dev store:

1.png

Alternatively, you may want to browse through the partner-friendly apps and find the one for your needs.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Sasha Kachkovskyi

Co-founder and CEO

256 Development

ProCommerce
Shopify Partner
17 1 1

Thank you very much for the guidance. I got it and will let the app developer know about this app status change.

Best Regards
Danish Raja

Best Regards

Danish Raja | www.ProCommerce.net
Top-Rated Seller | Fiverr Pro | Shopify Partners
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@MetafieldsGuru Great clarification, cannot give enough likes.

Big issue here is the Partner system and dev store provides no clear facilitation to get around this when needed by just allowing paid apps. In a sane system it would be clear if just a simple partner request would be all that's needed.

@MetafieldsGuru, @ProCommerce  Alternative is to transfer the store before it's ready. You'd at least contact shopiyfy-support and partner-support in advance explaining the situation to try and get a trial period/free-extension of the shopify-plan-fee for the merchant owned store since it's still in the process of being setup.

A setup you can't do on a dev-store because shopify in wanting to limit bad actors has degraded the setup process in such a way it punishes and disrupts the setup experience of good partners.

Then immediately have the client add you as a contributor with full permissions. Or have them make you the owner temporarily .

So at that point any payment details may need to handled by the client ,and thus initial app installs.

Keeping mind since such a store is no longer a dev-store it's is not eligible for partner-friendly status by apps so billing cycles start at the terms of install time. There's also doing screensharing sessions for stuff like this, or remote desktop , where the client fills in details, while getting guidance on going through the initial installing of an app.

Unless of course you have those account/payment details as part of the work, or you've have deposit covering the costs, or a rock solid contract assuring reimbursement for services you pay for in their stead during this setup of a work surface you do not control.

A clunky alternative ,with a non-recurring commission,  is to clone the devshop to a non-dev affiliate referral trial store;  where the client is owner thus the partner also losing control of the work surface. https://help.shopify.com/en/partners/how-to-earn#affiliate-referrals 

Look to see if there's any current shopify campaigns that have trials longer than 14 days.

You'd want to be sure the client is at minimum using your partner/affiliate ?ref= links to retain some sort of revenue share commission. May want to loop in with shopify-support if there are other options here.

If they transfer ownership to you again loop in shopify support with that as I have no idea if that's 100% copacetic for affiliate store setups swapping ownership even temporarily to the affiliate.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

MetafieldsGuru
Shopify Partner
158 32 95

Hi @PaulNewton , 

Wow, that’s a good point. Thanks for sharing more details! 

Best regards, 

Sasha Kachkovskyi 

Co-founder and CEO

256 Development

petermud
Tourist
6 0 4

Sorry I haven't logged into this for a while. Spoke to Shopify Admin for a while on this. There are apparently a number of apps that you cannot upgrade in devmode. Which is frustrating. Another one was matrixify for migrating content. So I just had to make our dev shop a live shop. ie I couldn't find a workaround in time.

Renars
Shopify Partner
284 31 332

This is an accepted solution.

Hello @petermud 

Renars here from Matrixify.

This is indeed a known issue. It is not down to specific apps, but the fact that store is a development store.

As per Shopify development store manuals - "You can only install free apps and partner-friendly apps"

Partner-friendly app is explained in Shopify App store as - "These apps are free to test in development stores. Regular charges will apply once the store is switched over to a paid plan."

So essentially - you are not able to approve app charges in the development store and are able to only use free plans and might be charged when switching store to a live store.

The issue here with the Matrixify app (and I assume other apps with the same issue) is that it is largely used in development stores to set up the store and not used once the store is live. (After a while when the store needs bulk actions it might use the app but usually not right after it is developed and set live).

So it would require us to provide the app for free to development stores which of course does not make any sense to us as the stores would not pay for the app once live.

We have also reached out to Shopify about this, but currently, their solution is - activate paid Shopify plan in the store and then approve the app subscription.

That is one place where our offer of 1 additional free subscription per every 1 paid subscription comes in handy.

So if you have another store that is a live store, you can activate the app to the same plan in your dev store by linking it as a free additional store. Here we have a page that explains more on how to set it up.

I hope this explains our side of this issue, and hopefully, Shopify at some point will allow dev stores to link card details and approve app charges/subscriptions without activating the Shopify plan.

Matrixify | Bulk Import Export Update | https://apps.shopify.com/excel-export-import | https://matrixify.app
petermud
Tourist
6 0 4

Hi @Renars ,

Thank you for your response.

I think I was unclear in my last post. I had meant to suggest that this was a Shopify issue and not the app (yourself). It is frustrating that we couldn't use your app in dev mode to do this.

There is very little warning about this either so I wasted a lot of time trying to solve it.

In the end when we updated our store to be non dev and run the migration with Matrixify to the other store it was incredibly easy and worked well so thank you for that!

Kind regards,

Peter