Updating Released Shopify App - Best Practice

busybstudiosllc
2 0 0

Just had a quick question about best practices when it comes to updating my recently released app. 

I currently have my app running on a Heroku server and need to update a couple things. First of all, I want to be able to actually test the update before all of the changes are pushed to the server. Seeing as though I would need to set up an NGROK tunnel and update the URL on the app setup and doing this would then impact all of the users of my app, I am wanting to find a different method. One thought I had was to create a new app and link the localHost test server to the new app, but this seems like a complicated way of doing things. 

Is there an easier method to test the app so I don't have to temporarily stop the app from running?

Thanks for the help, 

-BusyB

Replies 2 (2)
hardik355
Shopify Partner
205 19 28

Hi 

Good Question. I'm shopify theme and app developer.

My opinion is you can crate a new branch like staging.

And your all new changes push on staging. 

Now Is all your new changes in staging branch.

Create a new app in heroku then only staging branch push on heroku server so you can easily new changes checking on live server.

If your changes working fine. then you can merger stging to master and update live app. 

I'm following this scenario because some time error will be found in staging so we can easily manage. 

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
For Design, Development and custom changes Hire Me.
Thanks
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
For Design, Development and custom changes Hire Me.
Thanks
busybstudiosllc
2 0 0

I understand how I can make a new branch, and even run Heroku on local machine for update before pushing final changes to the live app. My question really is more on the Shopify side. How do you test those changes on Shopify without updating the live app?