Why can my customers download SHOP when SHOP is not one of my sales channels

rozeart30
Excursionist
14 0 5

We do not have SHOP installed as an app, but our customers are still able to download the app.

When the app is downloaded, a customer receives an email that their product is on the way when a product is fulfilled - BUT TRACKING HAS STILL NOT BEEN ENTERED.

We do not want this email to go out and there is no way to stop it, but in testing, a customer does not receive the email when the Shop app is not installed on the customer end.  As soon as the app is installed, customers receive this email.

Are the customers able to download this app because we do have Shop Pay as a payment option?

Replies 3 (3)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@rozeart30 

The Shop app is available to anyone who owns an Android and/or Apple device and would not be limited to a store's specific customers. When a customer uses Gmail or Outlook, such as hotmail.com and live.com, Shop automatically locates emails with tracking numbers to identify orders to track. Customers using another kind of email address can add tracking numbers manually.

As the tracking of online orders, which can apply to any online order, and not just orders from a Shopify store, come from the email client, it would suggest that an email is being sent to your customer that their order is being fulfilled. Are you using an app to process the fulfillment or are you manually fulfilling the orders?

I ask because the option to send a shipping notification would need to be enabled to send a notification to the customer: 

12-39-74607-53503

If you're using an app to mark items as fulfilled, then the app may be enabling this by default. That would be something you can chat with the app developer about to see if you can avoid that from happening in the future. 

If the email is sent when you're manually fulfilling the order and the option to send shipment details remains unchecked, then that would be something we'd want to investigate. To contact Support, you need to log into your store through the help center, search your question/issue, then select "continue" at the bottom of the page that displays the search results. 

Another thing to note, customers can opt into receiving shipping notifications from your store without the Shop channel enabled. You can disable this in the settings. 

• From your Shopify admin, click Settings, and then click Checkout.
  • Under To receive shipping updates, check or uncheck Customers can download the Shop app from the order status page to enable or disable the option for customers.
  • Click Save.

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

rozeart30
Excursionist
14 0 5

Trevor,

This is our situation:

If the email is sent when you're manually fulfilling the order and the option to send shipment details remains unchecked, then that would be something we'd want to investigate. To contact Support, you need to log into your store through the help center, search your question/issue, then select "continue" at the bottom of the page that displays the search results. 

Which option is the best for communicating this to Shopify?  Chat, email, phone?  I haven't had much luck with Chat when it comes to technical issues.  It seems they always have to submit it to someone else and I don't hear anything back.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@rozeart30 

Any of the available options will connect you with our support. The issue will likely need to be escalated to our Technical support for further review. If you have a ticket where it was supposed to be escalated, but you haven't heard back, then I would recommend contacting Shopify to request an update on the open ticket. Often replies are provided, but they are missed as the email is deleted, lands in the junk/spam, or doesn't arrive. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog