Will installing an app through "Merchant Install Link" make the client's store non-transferable?

Solved

Will installing an app through "Merchant Install Link" make the client's store non-transferable?

SK_TG
Shopify Partner
18 0 6

Hello. 

My client has a Shopify store, let's say ABC - under Basic Shopify Plan.

As per the requirements, I built a custom app for managing orders with webhooks using Kyon147/laravel-shopify package. 

I tested the app using a test development store. While testing, I noticed the status change from "Development" to "Transfer disabled" store. This wasn't clearly outlined in custom app development documentation. 

My question is, now, if I generate a "Merchant Install Link" for my custom app, to be used for ABC store.. will the ABC store status also change from "Basic Shopify" to "Transfer disabled"?

Is there a workaround? Is there anything else I should keep in mind before installing the app? There has been a lot of work already done on ABC store, so I do not want to risk losing any of it.

Accepted Solution (1)

SomeUsernameHe
Shopify Partner
495 54 99

This is an accepted solution.

Hey Sabira, 

Development store transfer is permanently disabled in the following cases:

You won't be using a development app on a customer's store, so you have nothing to worry about. When you choose your distribution, you will just select "Custom Distribution" which will allow you to give the store owner a link to install your unlisted app. It will be the same as any other app on the app store and will not apply a "Transfer Disabled" status to your customer's shop.

Have I helped? Consider putting coffee in my mouth!
Buy Me a Coffee

View solution in original post

Replies 4 (4)

SomeUsernameHe
Shopify Partner
495 54 99

This is an accepted solution.

Hey Sabira, 

Development store transfer is permanently disabled in the following cases:

You won't be using a development app on a customer's store, so you have nothing to worry about. When you choose your distribution, you will just select "Custom Distribution" which will allow you to give the store owner a link to install your unlisted app. It will be the same as any other app on the app store and will not apply a "Transfer Disabled" status to your customer's shop.

Buy Me a Coffee

SomeUsernameHe
Shopify Partner
495 54 99

I would also look into developing a "Custom App" rather than a regular Shopify app via the Shopify CLI. When you develop you will need to pay a one-time $99 fee to distribute Shopify CLI apps. 

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/apps/app-types/custom-apps

Buy Me a Coffee
SK_TG
Shopify Partner
18 0 6

Thank you for all the information! Yes, I built a custom app, just connected it through the partners admin dashboard, instead of using Shopify CLI.

SomeUsernameHe
Shopify Partner
495 54 99

Awesome, well if you need any other help, feel free to post here or message me! 

Happy Coding!

Buy Me a Coffee