Join us for an upcoming Shopify Partner webinar on February 27, 2024. Discover the latest Checkout Extensibility features, and deep dive on improvements to Shopify Functions and Web Pixels. Register now for either the 10am EST or 2pm EST sessions.

Authenticating requests from a Shopify app frontend to a Laravel 5 backend

daveluke
Shopify Partner
19 0 3

Hello.

I have an existing Shopify app that uses Laravel 5. I am in the process of rebuilding the frontend using React and Shopify Polaris. Originally, I was going to just use JWTs to authenticate each request from the React frontend to the Laravel backend, but as I understand it, I can't (and should not) use cookies to store the JWT while in the Shopify app iframe. The original iteration of my app escaped the iframe, so this is a new problem for me.

Can someone point me in the right direction regarding how I can authenticate requests between the React frontend and Laravel 5 backend? Do I need to implement the App Bridge? Do I have to upgrade Laravel to a newer version?

Thanks in advance. I'll be happy to clarify if needed.

Reply 1 (1)

ElanaK
Shopify Staff
15 4 4

👋 @daveluke ,

I'm a developer at Shopify.

If the app is embedded, you should use session tokens to authenticate and App Bridge can help with that. Check out the getting started section here. I am not a php dev, so I'm not sure what the major changes are since Laravel v5, but I don't believe it matters what the backend is, as long as you can implement the necessary callback routes and decode the session token. We also have a php library that helps with just that. 

Hopefully that helps!

Elana

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.