FROM CACHE - en_header

1 Website or 2 to accommodate different product types

Solved
Kolz
Tourist
5 0 0

Hi

I am having a problem configuring my website setup to accommodate 2 furniture types, flat packs and ready made.

Ready made items need a different layout, different delivery and different marketing and sell slower and is more for directing visitors to brick and mortar. The flat packs has different requirements to ready made, especially marketing and layout, sells faster and is primarily online sales with fast delivery requirements.

Should I configure 1 website and make both product types work or have 2 websites?

Kind Regards,
MK

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1482 234 313

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Kolz 

Thank you for the details about your business model and for sharing your concerns about how best to host your online store. 

I don't think you need to have two separate store accounts for these products, but instead need to create two separate collections and product templates so that they are showcased differently on the store. 

The same goes for running ad campaigns, you can choose which products are featured in what ad campaign and tailor the target audience as you see fit. 

Splitting the management up between two stores creates a lot more work over all and splits the customer traffic and analytical data. It will be much more beneficial for you to funnel that traffic to one website and just setup an easy to follow flow for customers to shop what they need. 

Product Templates: Make sure you are using a new 2.0 theme as these have very easy to use template creation. I've linked our free themes below. You can make multiple product page templates and choose what products you want the templates to apply to. Using the templates allows you to adjust how the product page looks for different products on the store. 

Let me know if you have additional questions about this that you need help with. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)
shahafmoran
Shopify Partner
5 1 4

Hi Kolz,

It's a bit difficult to know exactly what do you mean by "different marketing" and so, but in general speaking - I can't think of a reason for building 2 different websites when considering dealing with 2 different product types. You can easily set different product page template to each type, as well as shipping profiles, fulfillment flow, etc.

Hope it helps!

Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1482 234 313

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Kolz 

Thank you for the details about your business model and for sharing your concerns about how best to host your online store. 

I don't think you need to have two separate store accounts for these products, but instead need to create two separate collections and product templates so that they are showcased differently on the store. 

The same goes for running ad campaigns, you can choose which products are featured in what ad campaign and tailor the target audience as you see fit. 

Splitting the management up between two stores creates a lot more work over all and splits the customer traffic and analytical data. It will be much more beneficial for you to funnel that traffic to one website and just setup an easy to follow flow for customers to shop what they need. 

Product Templates: Make sure you are using a new 2.0 theme as these have very easy to use template creation. I've linked our free themes below. You can make multiple product page templates and choose what products you want the templates to apply to. Using the templates allows you to adjust how the product page looks for different products on the store. 

Let me know if you have additional questions about this that you need help with. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Kolz
Tourist
5 0 0

@shahafmoran I mean certain items are mostly sold in-store and not conducive to online shopping like sofa sets but I do need them as it directs customers to the brick & mortar, whereas other items are flat packed and very conducive to online shipping like desks.

Trying to fit these 2 categories that have different requirements into 1 website has been challenging. It's also trying to attract 2 different types of customers, and fitting in 2 different types of deliveries, as well as 2 different types of marketing and 2 different types of product layout and product page requirements.

I see your advice, thanks will consider applying that if I stick 1 website.

Kolz
Tourist
5 0 0

@Shay 

Hi Shay

Thank you for the valuable feedback and advice. You are right and time is also a valuable commodity which is a critical factor and worry hence I asked the question.

Just to confirm your advice above, will it apply even if I had 2 different customer types, that I should have 1 website?

Regards

MK

stevebeae
Shopify Partner
10 0 0

Hey Kolz
I'm Steve from Beae.com. We have the Beae Landing Page Builder product on Shopify.

I will suggest you how to handle the problem.

_ You only need 1 website and 1 domain name is enough, you create more collections that can handle the problem.
_ You can create 2-3 product pages, as long as it is on the same topic as the product you are selling.

Please share with me if you are not satisfied with the answer.

_ Beae - The #1 drag-and-drop Page Builder app now on Shopify
_ Check out our website for full features and start a free trial. https://beae.com/
_ Install the application and customize the sales page as desired to increase sales, 100% FREE
>> https://apps.shopify.com/beae?st_source=autocomplete
Kolz
Tourist
5 0 0

Hi Steve

Thank you for your input. I am very satisfied with your answer.

Kind Regards,

Kolz