Can I add slideshow, image with text, and logo list blocks to Shopify blog posts?

Christine_Myint
Tourist
7 0 3

Hi!  I am wanting to have a bit more functionality with my blog posts, without the use of an external page editing app. However, I am noticing when I want to edit the blog posts in the customize theme, I don't have the same type of blocks as when I create new pages and new page templates. How can I get those types of blocks for the blog posts? I really am looking for the slideshow, image with text, image with text overlay, logo list and rich text. Does anyone have any success with making this happen?

Thanks!

Replies 4 (4)

Aurnik
Shopify Partner
51 1 4

Just to clarify, you mean you want something like an image slider block to appear on every blog post?

Product Embed - embed products into blog posts - shopify.com/product-embed
Blog Sync - copy new & updated blog posts across stores - shopify.com/blog-sync
Christine_Myint
Tourist
7 0 3

Hi!

No, I don't want to add it to every blog post.  I just want the customizability of "pages" for blog posts.  Since on a page there is already sections and you can add whatever block you would like, but you can't do that in a blog post.  I understand that to change the style of the blog post, would require me to create a new template.  Which may end up being another question I have in the future if it's not doable now 😉 

AliReviews
Shopify Partner
773 89 353

Hello @Christine_Myint ,

By default, the Shopify theme editor provides a limited set of blocks for editing blog posts compared to creating new pages. However, you can extend the functionality of your blog posts by modifying the theme code to include additional blocks. Here's how:

• Go to Online Store -> Themes -> Actions -> Edit code
  • Go to sections -> article.liquid file 
  • Add desired blocks: Within the blog post template, you can add the desired blocks to provide more functionality. Here's an example of how you can add a slideshow block:
{% section 'slideshow' %}
  • Save changes

Hope this can help. Let us know if you need any further support.

Ali Reviews team.

- Was my answer helpful? Please hit Like or Mark it as solution!
- Ali Reviews - The must-have Shopify app that empowers you to effortlessly collect, display, and manage product reviews.
- Start your FREE trial today!
Christine_Myint
Tourist
7 0 3

Hi!  Thank you so much for your response!  I didn't fully understand since you suggested going to sections - > article.liquid file and then add desired blocks in the blog post template.  They are different sections at least in my theme.  

However, that lead me to dig around a bit more and I ended up trying out the following: 

• Sections - > slideshow.liquid
  • On line 108 it has templates then lists, index, product, page.  So i added “article” to the line below on line 112 as I think it lists the areas where you can find "slideshows". 

It added sections to my blog posts (which I think is great but doesn't make my blog post customizable in the sense that I can't customize the part that was already written by the page editing app). Is this an ok way to do it?  or could you explain what the difference would be between doing it your way vs mine?  Sorry for the inquiry... I know it probably is a lot to explain.

Thanks!