Solved

aggressive Image compression in the product description

eliyahodanan
Tourist
7 0 2

I upload quality images into the product description, so the product page will be a combination of images and short text, but the images are aggressively compressed, and what remains are unreadable images. Is it possible to prevent shopify from compressing images like this (which does not happen in the main images of the product), by a certain command in the EDIT CODE section? thanks!!

Accepted Solution (1)
Shay
Shopify Staff
2830 442 576

This is an accepted solution.

Definitely! 

When you add an image into your online store, be it through the theme editor, product description, inside a page, etc that image needs to be hosted (stored) somewhere. Adding images through your admin means the images are hosted on Shopify's servers. This is where the compression happens. 

By hosting (storing) the images outside of Shopify you can then add the image into the product description by using the URL option in the add image popup window. This can also be done using HTML as well, depending on your preference. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2830 442 576

Hi @eliyahodanan 

Would you be able to share some examples of the compression issue you are referring to? I would love to have a look and see what the compression rate of the images are when rendered on a page. 

Are you hosting your images on Shopify, or an external image host? I would try hosting some of the images on a free image host and then embed them into the product description to see if that makes a difference. 

While there is some compression that happens, the compression of the image should not be so much as to make images unreadable or very distorted. 

eliyahodanan
Tourist
7 0 2

can you explain please what do you mean by hosting the image on a free image host and then embed them into the product description? thanks

Shay
Shopify Staff
2830 442 576

This is an accepted solution.

Definitely! 

When you add an image into your online store, be it through the theme editor, product description, inside a page, etc that image needs to be hosted (stored) somewhere. Adding images through your admin means the images are hosted on Shopify's servers. This is where the compression happens. 

By hosting (storing) the images outside of Shopify you can then add the image into the product description by using the URL option in the add image popup window. This can also be done using HTML as well, depending on your preference. 

eliyahodanan
Tourist
7 0 2

Thank you very much! it works, and this way the images are shown in the original quality! i have one more question: is there a way to make these photos in the description appear fro the right edge of the page to its left edge without the gaps? (i added a pictue for exemple. the top is what pictures look like in my product description, and the bottom is what i want it to look like. thanks

עיצוב ללא שם (1).png

Twoodlepip
Tourist
24 0 0

Can I ask how you did it? Did you use Google Drive to store photos?

I've tried to paste image URL from Google Drive but it's not accepting it... 

Twoodlepip
Tourist
24 0 0

Hi Shay,

I have the same issue, so I uploaded images to Google Drive, then tried to add to my product page via URL link, I copied the image url from Google Drive and when I input to Shopify it returned this:

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 12.07.02.png

Can you advise a solution?

UPDATE: I've tried to store photos at Google Drive, Google Photos, Flicker – no offline photo storing site seems to work with Shopify.

I know millions of users use Shopify with great images so would love to know what server they use to do it?