Best layout to direct CANADA customers and US customers to separate Shopping areas?

Solved
NorthwestFudge
2 0 0

I am a wholesaler looking to direct Canadian customers to a certain list of products and US to another.  Is there a better (preferably FREE) design that I should be looking at?  More like a portal to enter  

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1381 132 308

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @NorthwestFudge,

Thank you for getting in touch. Our new Markets feature is one you might wish to consider, as it allows merchants to target different countries and customer bases with regionalized settings (such as separate domains, languages, and currencies). I would recommend looking looking into using Markets as you're selling to customers in both Canada and the United States.

It is worth noting that even when using Markets, you'll still have the same website and products listed that can be viewed by customers in both countries. You could decide to use different shipping profiles to differentiate between products you're selling to Americans and those you're selling to Canadians; in each profile you could add the products for each country, and then only adding shipping rates for US-based customers and vice-versa. This means, for example, that customers in Canada could view the products available to those in the United States, but could not have them shipped to a Canadian address. This may be an issue if you don't wish to advertise products to customers who can't purchase them.

An alternative solution which may work better is using a wholesale app, of which there are many on the Shopify App Store. You can use one of these apps to offer products to curated customer lists (with different prices, if you wish), and you should be able to easily manage your products that can be sold to either American or Canadian customers respectively. 

One final suggestion would be to have two separate Shopify stores for each audience. This would allow you to have two different storefronts with different products on each, and you'd generally have more control of how you target customers in each country. However, this would mean that you'd have two separate admins where you can manage your products, orders, and customers, and you'd also be paying for two Shopify subscriptions. I think using a wholesale app would be a better option but it is something you may want to consider.

I hope my suggestions are of some use but please let me know if you require any further help.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1381 132 308

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @NorthwestFudge,

Thank you for getting in touch. Our new Markets feature is one you might wish to consider, as it allows merchants to target different countries and customer bases with regionalized settings (such as separate domains, languages, and currencies). I would recommend looking looking into using Markets as you're selling to customers in both Canada and the United States.

It is worth noting that even when using Markets, you'll still have the same website and products listed that can be viewed by customers in both countries. You could decide to use different shipping profiles to differentiate between products you're selling to Americans and those you're selling to Canadians; in each profile you could add the products for each country, and then only adding shipping rates for US-based customers and vice-versa. This means, for example, that customers in Canada could view the products available to those in the United States, but could not have them shipped to a Canadian address. This may be an issue if you don't wish to advertise products to customers who can't purchase them.

An alternative solution which may work better is using a wholesale app, of which there are many on the Shopify App Store. You can use one of these apps to offer products to curated customer lists (with different prices, if you wish), and you should be able to easily manage your products that can be sold to either American or Canadian customers respectively. 

One final suggestion would be to have two separate Shopify stores for each audience. This would allow you to have two different storefronts with different products on each, and you'd generally have more control of how you target customers in each country. However, this would mean that you'd have two separate admins where you can manage your products, orders, and customers, and you'd also be paying for two Shopify subscriptions. I think using a wholesale app would be a better option but it is something you may want to consider.

I hope my suggestions are of some use but please let me know if you require any further help.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog