Best practice to use a page builder or just lots of templates?

Solved

Best practice to use a page builder or just lots of templates?

Jj37
Excursionist
39 0 4

Hello - one thing I did not realise about Shopify is that it has a terrible out-of-the-box page editor. In-fact, there is no editor at all and relies on knowledge of HTML code (unlike Woocommerce/Wordpress, which has a very in-depth and sophisticated page builder).

I have noticed that the template builder, would in theory allow me to create the 'About me', 'FAQ', 'My Story' type pages, but I am not sure how this would be correct practice, or SEO compliant?

I have also seen there are many page builders, but most come with a rather high monthly cost.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Accepted Solution (1)
PaulMartin
Shopify Partner
251 39 73

This is an accepted solution.

@Jj37 
I'm not sure if this is what you meant. I made a video for you.
Video for using templates - Jj37 - YouTube

Open to help people out, just email me here or tag me by using "@" when posting your comment

View solution in original post

Replies 8 (8)

PaulMartin
Shopify Partner
251 39 73

It sounds like you are aiming to have different content for different pages.

You can use templates, although in order for you to have different content in each page but just a few templates, you will need some Shopify knowledge in order to do so. As for it being correct practice or SEO compliant, I am sure that Shopify took that into consideration when making the templates feature for its users, then this is also controlled by the Theme.

As with page-builders, it's easier to make that possible but then again, that comes with cost.

Open to help people out, just email me here or tag me by using "@" when posting your comment
Jj37
Excursionist
39 0 4

Thanks Paul. I am happy with using a template for the homepage, and then the standard catalogue page etc.

But if I want a separate page to tell 'My Story' or 'About My Brand' - I assume I can just create a template, but all the images/content, etc inside that - without editing anything further on the 'page' as such?

I find it a bit odd that Shopify has no native way (other than HTML coding) to create pages. 

PaulMartin
Shopify Partner
251 39 73
Yeah. Then, in order for you to edit those templates, you'll have to use
the Theme editor just like editing your homepage, product pages, etc.
Jj37
Excursionist
39 0 4

Thanks - how would I do this? 

PaulMartin
Shopify Partner
251 39 73

PaulMartin
Shopify Partner
251 39 73

This is an accepted solution.

@Jj37 
I'm not sure if this is what you meant. I made a video for you.
Video for using templates - Jj37 - YouTube

Jj37
Excursionist
39 0 4

Fantastic, thanks so much. So, I could actually merge template/page combinations for each different type of page.

For example, a different template and page combination for 'About my brand' , and 'FAQ', and 'Find my work' etc

PaulMartin
Shopify Partner
251 39 73

@Jj37 Awesome. If you got any more questions, just let me know by messaging me or commenting here.