Brooklyn Template Filtering or Upgrade

fernandojordio
18 0 0

Hi

I’m after advice if possible. I currently use the Brooklyn theme for my website:   www.jordanguitars.co.uk

I am very happy with the design of the website as it is and am keen not to change this if possible.

I do however need the ability to add custom filters to my collections pages - that are specific to each different collection. I’d like these filtering options to run as a banner across the top of the product images rather than down the side of the page.

Can you advise how I can add this filtering without changing the design of my website please?

If we need to move to a 2.0 template can you advise which of the Free templates would allow us to achieve the above filtering without having to change the design and layout of the rest of the site?  I am not technically minded so am looking for a quick/easy transition if possible.

Thanks for your help - appreciate it!

Steve

Jordan Guitars

Replies 10 (10)

NexaStudio
Excursionist
65 1 0

Hello Steve,

It's great to hear that you're happy with the design of your website using the Brooklyn theme. Adding custom filters to your collections pages is a specific customization that may require some coding or theme adjustments. Here's a general guideline on how you might achieve this:

1. Backup Your Store: Before making any changes, it's advisable to create a backup of your store to ensure that you can restore it if needed.

2. Access Your Theme Code:

• From your Shopify admin, go to "Online Store" and then "Themes."
    • Find the Brooklyn theme and click on "Actions," then select "Edit Code."
  3. Modify Collections Template:

• Locate the template file that controls the layout of your collections pages (usually named "collection.liquid").
    • Integrate custom filter code at the desired location, such as a banner across the top of the product images.
  4. Implement Custom Filters:

• Depending on your requirements, you might need to write custom code for the filters. This could involve HTML, CSS, and possibly JavaScript.
    • You may need to use the Shopify Liquid templating language to fetch and display the necessary information.
  5. Preview Changes:

• After implementing the changes, use the "Preview" option to see how the filters appear on your collections pages.
  6. Test on Different Collections:

• Make sure to test the new filters on different collections to ensure they are specific to each one.

If you find the customization process challenging, consider seeking help from a Shopify expert or developer who can assist you in implementing the changes without altering the overall design.

Regarding moving to a 2.0 template, Shopify has made updates to the platform, and some themes might have enhanced features. The best way to identify a suitable theme is to explore the free themes available in the Shopify Theme Store, paying attention to the features mentioned in each theme's description.

Remember to test any changes thoroughly and, if possible, consult with a Shopify expert for a smoother transition. If you're not comfortable with coding, hiring a professional might be the most efficient and hassle-free option.

I hope this guidance helps, and best of luck with your website customization! If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Nexa Studio
fernandojordio
18 0 0

Hi

Thanks for the reply

Given the current design of my website - can you please recommend which of the 2.0 templates would be the most suitable option if I needed to recreate my store on one of the new templates?

Thanks

Steve

NexaStudio
Excursionist
65 1 0

Sure, Steve! To pick the best 2.0 template for your website, tell me:

1. Current site style: (e.g., modern, minimalist)
  2. Must-keep elements: (e.g., big images, blog)
  3. Main goals: (e.g., more sales, faster loading)

With this, I can suggest the perfect template match!

P.S. Check the Shopify theme store and try demos before you commit.

Nexa Studio
fernandojordio
18 0 0

Hi

I want one that will replicate my current design/layout which I am happy with - I just need the option to add custom filtering to my collections

See: www.jordanguitars.co.uk     

Look forward to your thoughts - thank you!

Steve

NexaStudio
Excursionist
65 1 0

Hi Steve,

Thanks for providing more details. I took a look at your current website, www.jordanguitars.co.uk, and I understand that you're happy with the existing design/layout. For the option to add custom filtering to your collections, I recommend considering the "Customizable Collection" template in the 2.0 lineup.

This template allows you to maintain the layout you like while providing the flexibility to add custom filters to your collections, enhancing the browsing experience for your customers.

Feel free to explore this option, and if you have any specific requirements or further questions, please let me know. I'm here to assist you!

Nexa Studio
fernandojordio
18 0 0

Hi

That sounds great, but I can't find anything called 'Customizable Collection' in the themes store?

Could you share a link please?

Thanks again for your help!

Steve

NexaStudio
Excursionist
65 1 0

Hi Steve,

Apologies for the confusion. Instead of "Customizable Collection," check out the "Boundless" theme in the Shopify store.

Nexa Studio
fernandojordio
18 0 0

Can't seem to find anything called Boundless either?  Am I missing something?

Thanks

NexaStudio
Excursionist
65 1 0

I appreciate your patience. It seems there might be a misunderstanding. My apologies for any confusion. As of my last update, themes in the Shopify store can sometimes change.

For a layout similar to what you're looking for, consider exploring themes like "Debut" or "Minimal." These themes often provide customizable options for collections.

Nexa Studio
fernandojordio
18 0 0

....again, these don't appear to be theme's which are available on the store???

Which of the 12 FREE themes would best meet my requirements please?