Cart - Add an 'Agree to terms and conditions' checkbox

TyW
Community Manager
451 63 1206

You can add an I agree with the terms and conditions checkbox to your cart page that customers must check before continuing to the checkout. If a customer doesn't check the checkbox before clicking the checkout button, an alert pop up will prevent them from continuing.

tc-01.jpg

Tip: It's not possible to add the checkbox to the checkout pages. It can be added only to the cart page that exists at http://www.your-shop-URL.com/cart.

The steps for this tutorial differ depending on whether you are using a sectioned or a non-sectioned theme. A sectioned theme is a newer theme that lets you drag and drop to arrange the layout of your store's pages.

To figure out whether your theme supports sections, go to the theme's Edit code page. If there are files in the Sections directory, you are using a sectioned theme. Non-sectioned themes were released before October 2016, and do not have files in the Sections directory.

If you are using a sectioned theme, then click the Sectioned themes button and follow the instructions. If you are using an older, non-sectioned theme, then click the Non-sectioned themes button and follow the instructions.

TyW | Online Community Manager @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Replies 167 (167)

TyW
Community Manager
451 63 1206

Sectioned themes

Adding a checkbox to your cart page

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Themes.
  2. Find the theme you want to edit, and then click Actions > Edit code.
  3. In the Assets directory, click theme.js or theme.js.liquid.
    Note: For the Narrative theme, click theme.min.js.
  4. At the bottom of the file, paste the following code:

$(document).ready(function() {
        $('body').on('click', '[name="checkout"], [name="goto_pp"], [name="goto_gc"]', function() {
          if ($('#agree').is(':checked')) {
            $(this).submit();
          }
          else {
            alert("You must agree with the terms and conditions of sales to check out.");
            return false;
          }
        });
      });

5. Click Save.
  6. In the Sections directory, click cart-template.liquid. If there is no cart-template.liquid file in the Sections directory, then click cart-template.liquid or cart.liquid in the Templates directory.
  7. Find the HTML code for your checkout button. Look for a <button> or an <input> element with the name attribute set to checkout. The code might look something like this:

<button type="submit" name="checkout" class="btn">{{ 'cart.general.checkout' | t }}</button>
    On a new line above the checkout button, paste the following code:

<p style="float: none; text-align: right; clear: both; margin: 10px 0;">
      <input style="float:none; vertical-align: middle;" type="checkbox" id="agree" />
      <label style="display:inline; float:none" for="agree">
        I agree with the <a href="/pages/terms-and-conditions">terms and conditions</a>.
      </label>
    </p>
  8. Within the code you just pasted, replace /pages/terms-and-conditions with the URL of your terms and conditions page.

Note: You will need to create a terms and conditions page if it doesn't already exist.

9. Click Save.

Debut

If you use Debut version 17.3.0 or higher, you will need to add JQuery to your theme.liquid file in the Layout directory.

1. In your theme.liquid file, find </head>.
  2. On a new line above </head>, paste the following code:

<link rel="preload" href="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-2.2.4.min.js" as="script">
    <script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-2.2.4.min.js" integrity="sha256-BbhdlvQf/xTY9gja0Dq3HiwQF8LaCRTXxZKRutelT44=" crossorigin="anonymous"></script>
  3. Click Save.

Boundless

If you use Boundless, you will also need to add the checkbox code to your theme.liquid file in the Layout directory.

1. In your theme.liquid file, find this line of code:

<button type="submit" class="btn btn--full cart__checkout" name="checkout">
  2. On a new line before the above line of code, paste the following code:

<input style="float:none; vertical-align: middle;" type="checkbox" id="agree" />
        I agree with the <a href="/pages/terms-and-conditions">terms and conditions</a>.
      </label>
    </p>
  3. Within the code you just pasted, replace /pages/terms-and-conditions with the URL of your terms and conditions page.
  4. Click Save.

Brooklyn

If you use Brooklyn, you will need to add the checkbox code to your ajax-cart-template.liquid file in the Snippets directory.

1. In your ajax-cart-template.liquid file, find this line of code:

<button type="submit" name="update" class="btn--secondary update-cart">{{ 'cart.general.update' | t }}</button>

</label>
    </p>
  3. Within the code you just pasted, replace /pages/terms-and-conditions with the URL of your terms and conditions page.
  4. Click Save.
    The next step for Brooklyn is to comment out a line of code in your theme's JavaScript file.
  5. In the Assets directory, click theme.js.liquid. Find this line of code:

theme.checkoutIndicator();
    Replace it with:

// theme.checkoutIndicator();
  6. Click Save.

Removing the additional checkout buttons from your cart page

If you've added checkout buttons other than PayPal to your cart page, then the terms and conditions checkbox won't work properly. For example, if you have the Pay with Amazon button on your cart page, then your customers will be able to click it and check out without agreeing to your term and conditions.

If you have a payment option that has its own checkout button, other than PayPal, you will have to remove the additional checkout buttons from the cart page. After customers have checked the checkbox you've added and reached the checkout, they will still be able to select the additional payment option from the Payment method page.

1. In the Sections directory, click cart-template.liquid.
  2. Find the following code:

{% if additional_checkout_buttons %}
      <div>{{ content_for_additional_checkout_buttons }}</div>
    {% endif %}
  3. When you find the code, wrap it in Liquid {% comment %} and {% endcomment %} tags. This will stop the code from being shown on your store, and you can easily add it back if you want to change your new template later. Your code should look like this:

{% comment %}
    {% endif %}
    {% endcomment %}
  4. Click Save.

Updating older themes to use a supported version of jQuery

If you are having trouble getting the 'Agree to terms and conditions' checkbox to work, then confirm that your theme is using a jQuery version of 1.7 or newer. If your theme is running a version of jQuery that is older than 1.7, then you can edit your theme code to use a supported version instead.

1. In the Layout directory, click theme.liquid.
  2. Within the <head> element, find a script tag that references your theme's jQuery source. The src attribute for the script tag contains a URL that includes /jquery/, followed by the version number. The tag looks something like this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery.min.js"></script>

In the script tag above, the jQuery version being used is 1.4.2. This is an older version of jQuery that will need to be updated for the customization to work. If your theme is using a version that is older than 1.7, replace the version number in the URL with 1.7. The result should look like this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7/jquery.min.js"></script>
  3. Click Save.

TyW
Community Manager
451 63 1206

Non-sectioned themes

Adding a checkbox to your cart page in non-sectioned themes

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Themes.
  2. Find the theme you want to edit, and then click Actions > Edit code.
  3. In the Layout directory, click theme.liquid.
  4. Find the closing </body> tag near the bottom of the file.
  5. Above the closing </body> tag, paste the following code:

<script>
    $('body').on('click', '[name="checkout"], [name="goto_pp"], [name="goto_gc"]', function() {
      if ($('#agree').is(':checked')) {
        $(this).submit();
      }
      else {
        alert("You must agree with the terms and conditions of sales to check out.");
        return false;
      }
    });
    </script>
  6. Click Save.
  7. In the Templates directory, click cart.liquid.
  8. Find the HTML code for your checkout button. Look for a <button> or an <input> element with the name attribute set to checkout. The code might look something like this:

<button type="submit" name="checkout" class="btn">{{ 'cart.general.checkout' | t }}</button>
  9. On a new line above the checkout button, paste the following code:

</label>
    </p>

tc-02.png

10. Within the code you pasted, replace /pages/terms-and-conditions with the URL of your terms and conditions page.

NoteYou will need to create a terms and conditions page if it doesn't already exist.

11. Click Save.

Boundless

If you use Boundless, you will also need to add the checkbox code to your theme.liquid file in the Layout directory.

1. In your theme.liquid file, find this line of code:

<button type="submit" class="btn btn--full cart__checkout" name="checkout">

</label>
    </p>
    Within the code you just pasted, replace /pages/terms-and-conditions with the URL of your terms and conditions page.
  3. Click Save.

Brooklyn

If you use Brooklyn, you will need to add the checkbox code to your ajax-cart-template.liquid file in the Snippets directory.

1. In your ajax-cart-template.liquid file, find this line of code:

<button type="submit" class="btn--secondary btn--full cart__checkout" name="checkout">

</label>
    </p>
  4. Click Save.

The next step for Brooklyn is to comment out a line of code in your theme's JavaScript file.

5. In the Assets directory, click theme.js.liquid. Find this line of code:

Replace it with:

// theme.checkoutIndicator();
  6. Click Save.

Removing the additional checkout buttons from your cart page

If you've added checkout buttons other than PayPal to your cart page, then the terms and conditions checkbox won't work properly. For example, if you have the Pay with Amazon button on your cart page, then your customers will be able to click it and check out without agreeing to your term and conditions.

If you have a payment option that has its own checkout button, other than PayPal, you will have to remove the additional checkout buttons from the cart page. After customers have checked the checkbox you've added and reached the checkout, they will still be able to select the additional payment option from the Payment method page.

1. In the Templates directory, click cart.liquid.
  2. Find the following code:

{% endif %}
  3. When you find the code, wrap it in Liquid {% comment %} and {% endcomment %} tags. This will stop the code from being shown on your store, but will let you easily put it back if you want to change your new template later. Your code should look like this:

{% comment %}
      {% endif %}
      {% endcomment %}
  4. Click Save.

Updating older themes to use a supported version of jQuery

If you are having trouble getting the 'Agree to terms and conditions' checkbox to work, then confirm that your theme is using a jQuery version of 1.7 or newer. If your theme is running a version of jQuery that is older than 1.7, then you can edit your theme code to use a supported version instead.

1. In the Layout directory, click theme.liquid.
  2. Within the <head> element, find a script tag that references your theme's jQuery source. The src attribute for the script tag contains a URL that includes /jquery/, followed by the version number. The tag looks something like this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery.min.js"></script>
    In the script tag above, the jQuery version being used is 1.4.2. This is an older version of jQuery that will need to be updated for the customization to work. If your theme is using a version that is older than 1.7, replace the version number in the URL with 1.7. The result should look like this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7/jquery.min.js"></script>
  3. Click Save.

Nvision112
Visitor
2 0 9

Hi,

I am using Debut theme and I could not get it working with the gived guidelines. Anything specific I should do when using Debut theme?

Nvision112
Visitor
2 0 9

The button now shows on my site, but it can be bypassed by either not simply marking the box or clicking buy it now button.

LandofWaterfall
Visitor
1 0 3

I have the same issue when using Debut theme. Everything appears to look fine, but the logic is faulty.

If a customer does not select "I Agree" they can still click checkout and be directed straight to checkout with no pop up.

A solution to this would be much appreciated!

dclopez
Tourist
6 0 4

Good morning,

It seems as if the line was missing the required="required" in the line for the cart.liquid. It's working for me now. Try this.

Original:

<label style="display:inline; float:none" for="agree">    I agree with the <a href="/pages/terms-and-conditions">terms and conditions</a>.
  </label>
</p>

Updated with required added ----- USE THIS BELOW:

<input style="float:none; vertical-align: middle;" type="checkbox" id="agree" required="required" />
I agree with the <a href="Replace with your link to terms and conditions here">terms and conditions</a>.
</label>
</p>

maison1
Visitor
1 0 2

Hello Thank you for commenting on the article, it did not work for me also, I did follow your adjustments and was still not able to get the "required" portion to work out. Would you be able to assist me that? That would seriously be awesome thank you! 

dclopez
Tourist
6 0 4

Can you paste the 2 sections here?

AlexS
Tourist
7 0 0

I am using the Venture theme and I had noticed this and changed it to required but you are still able to bypass the checkbox. Any other solutions to fixing this problem?

The logic makes sense it just doesn't want to work! So frustrating!

amir_zsafaei
Visitor
3 0 0

Thank you for the great tutorials but the required is not working for me. Also, I don't have that JS line in my theme, should I add that manually? 

Andrew231
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Dclopez, I tried this but it still let's me checkout with having to click the button, is yours still allowing you to have to click the checkbox?

goclaire
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello! This worked for me, but how do I add a pop-up to remind the customers to tick the checkbox before clicking checkout? When they don't click the checkbox, the page just loads and does not proceed to checkout.

@dclopez wrote:

Good morning,

It seems as if the line was missing the required="required" in the line for the cart.liquid. It's working for me now. Try this.

Original:

<label style="display:inline; float:none" for="agree">    I agree with the <a href="/pages/terms-and-conditions">terms and conditions</a>.
  </label>
</p>

Updated with required added ----- USE THIS BELOW:

<input style="float:none; vertical-align: middle;" type="checkbox" id="agree" required="required" />
I agree with the <a href="Replace with your link to terms and conditions here">terms and conditions</a>.
</label>
</p>

developertmc
Visitor
1 0 0

Thanks for this post, it's very helpful.

How do I make the checkbox optional and how do I get that data on the product order?

I need to know if the customer checked or did not check the checkbox.

goddessswag
Excursionist
12 1 3

Hello - not sure if you are asking me or@gab33 ?   This is not my original post.

I would ask @gab33 

Wish I could assist but I don't know the answers to your questions.  I am not a developer or a guru.  I used the code for my brooklyn theme and it worked.

https://goddessswag.com  if you want to see my checkout set up.

jkids
Tourist
12 0 0

@TyW thank you for the posts. I have the same question as developertmc below, would you be able to point us in the right direction please?

@developertmc did you work out how to make the checkbox optional and collect the information of whether they tick the checkbox? We are trying to do the same here...

@developertmc wrote:

Thanks for this post, it's very helpful.

How do I make the checkbox optional and how do I get that data on the product order?

I need to know if the customer checked or did not check the checkbox.

Kerchie
Tourist
3 0 1

Any updates as to how to make this checkbox required? I can bypass it by clicking the checkout button.

WGarzon
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi,

I'm running Debut theme and this seems to not work. Any way around it that you can find? It's still not making it "Required". 

Thank you!

sherley
Visitor
1 0 0

how do i preselect the checkox

RhiSquared
Tourist
4 0 1

Hello! I added the required part to the line of code, but mine is still not working. Have you had any issues with this by chance?

Thanks!

rhiandddept.com

TanmayCreations
Tourist
5 0 3

Thanks for the code snippets to achieve the required functionality.

In the Dawn theme, please look for the other matching files as mentioned below:

1. cart.js INSTEAD OF theme.js or theme.js.liquid
  2. main-cart-footer.liquid INSTEAD OF cart-template.liquid or cart.liquid

Also, use <a href="/pages/terms-and-conditions" target="_blank"> INSTEAD OF just <a href="/pages/terms-and-conditions"> so that the original cart page is intact. And, the terms & conditions page opens up in a new window, which could be closed after reading and still the cart window is available for the customer to checkout.

All this worked for me in Debut theme. I believe this information would help!

highdesertsci
Excursionist
15 1 6

This didnt work for me. Is there another way to make the check box required? Im using the Dawn theme. 

I'd also like to position the checkbox and statement to the left and elongateits margins. how can I achieve this?

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 00.07.14.png

Buchholdt
Shopify Partner
25 0 2

I enden up using the app "Terms and Conditions Checkbox". Not a perfect solution, but for now it works.

evotionchastity
Tourist
3 0 1

I made the change but it still lets customers go through without clicking the checkbox.

peachyamanda
Tourist
4 0 4

Adding the ="required" fixed for me after hours of trying to make this work. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Marlan
Excursionist
20 0 0

Hi , Would you mind letting me know how you find the link of URL of your terms and conditions page? Thanks in advance 

mArcoAl
Visitor
1 0 0

Debe ser porque estas utilizando theme.liquid en ves de theme.js  

Yo tuve el mismo problema pero si copias el código html correctamente todo funciona bien, revisa lo que te digo, no utilices la sección theme.liquid

Dagmar1
Visitor
3 0 0
Hi,

thank you for your answer regarding o checkbox. First step in section
Layout - Theme.js I did changes but second step in section action
Template- cart. liquid. I don't have required codesand I dont know where to
put coes for checkout button I have just codes in attachment.
Can you help me how to manage it please?

thanks
Dagmar
LadyKM
Excursionist
21 0 7

Sorry - i was asking a question of the community, not providing an answer!

wildjunkiebtq
Visitor
2 0 0

Which format/coding section did you use for your debut theme? I also have debut and am not sure which one to use. 

Dagmar1
Visitor
3 0 0
Hi,

I use Modular not Debut theme. Thats why it is different.

thank you
Dagmar
omersharon
Tourist
4 0 0

had the same, but this fixed it for me and might help some people so leaving it here: https://community.shopify.com/c/technical-q-a/terms-and-conditions-checkbox-not-working-refresh-them...

kalobyte
Visitor
2 0 4

Just want to say to all, if you are from Germany.

This tutorial is useless, because the ckeckbox appears on cart, but not on the last step of checkout.

I spend some hours to realize that I'am working on cart-template and this file is not the checkout page, on which I test it and refresh it like idiot.

Ckeckout page appears if the buyer clicks "buy now" button and goes thru many pages with forms.

And according to german laws this checkbox muss be near of the "complete order" button on the last step.

RuDu
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Kalobyte,

as i am intergrating the buy button in our wordpress page, could you tell me how you solved to implement this at the last page (complete order?)

Thanks a lot and greetings from germany

Mike5241
Excursionist
42 0 7

Hi Kalobyte,

I agree with you, I'm creating a web shop for the Belgian market and I see the same problem.

If you're still using Shopify you have probably noticed that the checkout pages have been simplified to 2 pages therefore having the checkbox in the shopping cart page is closer now to the Complete Order button.

Do you think that this will be good enough for European markets?

I'll be grateful if you can share how you solved the problem.

Regards,

Miguel.

GARESIOVINI
Tourist
8 0 2

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm using Debut and the button now shows on my site, but it can be bypassed by either not simply marking the box or clicking "buy now" button. Moreover, now when you click "Buy now" button, the button fades away before taking you to checkout, resulting in a longer waiting time before reaching the checkout page.

Any solution?

P.S I'm using the latest debut version, which is probably updated compared to the one of this tutorial.

Dagmar1
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi I am using Modular theme and in second step: 

1. In the Templates directory, click cart.liquid.
  2. Find the HTML code for your checkout button. Look for a <button> or an <input> element with the name attribute set to checkout. The code might look something like this:

I dot have in this section <button> or an <input> I have just this codes:

<section class="container-wrap">
<div class="container">
{% include 'site-cart' %}
</div>
</section>

{% include 'ajax-cart' %}

Can someone help with this what to do?

thank you so much 🙂 

LadyKM
Excursionist
21 0 7

Hi - I'm using Debut and this worked great, just one thing I can't work out - the 'font' of 'terms & conditions' is not adopting my theme font. How can I do this? Here is how it looks:

Screenshot 2020-06-02 at 09.29.09.png

Here is the code:

Screenshot 2020-06-02 at 09.26.02.png

Is it also possible that when the read the terms it can open in a new window rather than take them away from the checkout?

Thank you so much! It would be awesome to sort this final fixes.

staudinger
Tourist
7 0 0

I had the same question as you. Have you been able to figure it out? Any help is appreciated!

@LadyKM wrote:

Hi - I'm using Debut and this worked great, just one thing I can't work out - the 'font' of 'terms & conditions' is not adopting my theme font. How can I do this? Here is how it looks:

Screenshot 2020-06-02 at 09.29.09.png

Here is the code:

Screenshot 2020-06-02 at 09.26.02.png

Is it also possible that when the read the terms it can open in a new window rather than take them away from the checkout?

Thank you so much! It would be awesome to sort this final fixes.

Joanna11
Excursionist
11 0 4

Hello!

I am completly new in shopify. I have the same problem as all - NO confirmation for terms and Policy on the checkout.

I have read all the blog. and I saw , you have figure out , and it is  working good for you. I have DEBUT theme as you. Could you plase tell me step by step, what to do,  to get -   I agree with Therm and Conditions on my shop?

I am not advance person with computers would be great to follow your steps!!!

Thank you so much! 

Loooking  forward to your answer! 

Joanna 

Joanna11
Excursionist
11 0 4

Hello! I have follow the instruction and its working for me good. Thank you for this advice.  Just it is not working for ExpressPay Pal button. any sygestion?

reibel
Visitor
1 0 2

Not working on Narrative theme. As others mentioned the js inserted into theme.js is simply ignored. Not sure why. Inserting the js into the file custom.js works though.

Remoair
Tourist
6 1 4

Thank you! Made my day! 🙂 Was about to have a mental breakdown.. hehe

Thanks a bunch, M
MatthewTucker
Visitor
1 0 0

That worked great, thanks so much!

goddessswag
Excursionist
12 1 3

Hello -thank you doe this!   So I am using Brooklyn theme.  I completed your steps, "however"  since your post of 2019 - perhaps the code changed a little?

this code doesn't appear to be the same anymore 😞   I tried adding "//" in front of it, and it def didn't work.

I WAS able to add a check box at checkout - it says: I agree with the terms and conditions.  BUT - it still allows users to click on CHECKOUT without clicking the box 😞

If you can update this line of code, that would be awesome!!!

goddessswag
Excursionist
12 1 3

Hi There.  This wasn't my original post.  My input here is from the last few weeks 🙂  I would say the code has changed a bit from 2019.

Hmmmm  I am not sure what else to tell you.  I wish I had something.  I would try and add the // again and make sure you save it.

I somehow got mine to work.  Maybe you can post a new thread?   Best of luck.  Sorry I can't help further.

This is what my code section looks like:

theme.checkoutIndicator = function() {
// Add a loading indicator on the cart checkout button (/cart and drawer)
theme.cache.$body.on('click', '.cart__checkout', function() {
$(this).addClass('btn--loading');
});
};

Soissimple
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi,

In the brooklyn theme,  In the ajax-cart-template.liquid file, I can not find this line of code: <button type="submit" class="btn--secondary btn--full cart__checkout" name="checkout">

But instead, I found something similar : <button type="submit" class="btn--secondary btn--full cart__checkout" name="checkout">

Does it work the same way?

Thanks!

RhiSquared
Tourist
4 0 1

Thank you so so much!!! This mini tutorial is so incredibly helpful and it worked like a charm! Thank you very much for providing this for all of us ♥︎

skmeico
Tourist
18 0 2

I added the codes to my my Dawn Theme and able to see the terms and conditions box, but it is not alligned properly, how to allign it? Also the Check out Box became more height

skmeico_0-1636786959036.png

Please help me

Mike5241
Excursionist
42 0 7

Hi everyone,

The question above is kind of old but in case someone comes across this same issue, I'm also using the Dawn theme, I solved it by placing the code that goes in the main-cart-footer.liquid just at the end of the section that begins with <small class="tax-note caption-large rte">, as follows:

Mike5241_0-1699254805688.png

And the checkbox looks like this:

Mike5241_1-1699254846041.png

Mike