Cart - Use cart attributes to collect more information

TyW
Community Manager
556 38 997

Cart attributes are custom form fields that let you collect additional information from your customers on the cart page. The information that you collect will display in a note on the customer's order in the admin. For example, if you want to ask customers how they heard about your store, then you can add an How did you hear about us? drop-down selection question to the cart.

Tip: Cart attributes are different from order notes and line item properties. Order notes, which are available in every free Shopify theme, let you capture special instructions on how to prepare and deliver an order. Line item properties are used to record customization information about specific products in an order. Line item properties are specified directly on the product page.

Sectioned themes and non-sectioned themes

The steps for this tutorial differ depending on whether you are using a sectioned or a non-sectioned theme. A sectioned theme is a newer theme that lets you drag and drop to arrange the layout of your store's pages.

To figure out whether your theme supports sections, go to the theme's Edit code page. If there are files in the Sections directory, you are using a sectioned theme. Non-sectioned themes were released before October 2016, and do not have files in the Sections directory.

If you are using a sectioned theme, then click the Sectioned themes button and follow the instructions. If you are using an older, non-sectioned theme, then click the Non-sectioned themes button and follow the instructions.

TyW | Online Community Manager @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Replies 43 (43)
Siemon-Schilder
Excursionist
21 1 2

I followed the guide and added the code for a checkbox, the checkbox indeed appears, but it doesn't respond, so I can't check the box. Does anyone have the same issue?

https://x9plick10qxn1xbs-39069974572.shopifypreview.com

d_kahr
1 0 0

Hello. Will the data entered in this cart page field show up in a column on the .csv file when orders are exported? Thanks. 

ahoshino
2 0 0

Hi have you gotten this working? Im using Supply theme as well, but some customers seem to be able to checkout without filling the form out.

I'm having a hard time as the form includes some additional details of the orders, and I cannot obtain it. 

Thank you,

Marc_Epstein
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi,

Thanks so much for the great tutorial! I was having some trouble customizing my custom form fields. I want to have 2 or 3 columns of them and editing the custom css hasn't been working.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

JacklynKaye
2 0 1

This is working for me now! No idea how but I can now see the additional attribute in my backend.

Prabhav1
2 0 0

Hi!

Thanks for the tutorial. I followed it and managed to add a form right on the cart page. It asks for the following:

1. Name of Doctor
2. Upload a file of prescription.

My question is, how do I access this information. As in where will it be available?

Sharina
1 0 0
Hello,

I successfully added the text fields to my cart page.
But I can't seem to find where/how I can translate them.
Can someone help me?

Thanks!
antonkogan
Tourist
25 0 2

I collect cart attributes with a drop of pre selected places we ship to- is it possible to have cart attributes be used in place of ship to when creating a label or using plug ins like ups.com for shipping? 

antonkogan
Tourist
25 0 2

is it possible to have cart attribute mapped to ship to name, ship to address? we ship to third parties and need these cart attribute fields mapped to the correct shipping label field

hhelmanj
2 0 0

May i use this attributes to "auto tag" an order based on them...lets say: Every order with Atrribute= XXX tag it with AAATAG. ?