Changing "Sold Out" to "Coming Soon"

Joey11
1 0 6

I spent a lot of time searching for a way to change "Sold Out" to "Coming Soon" on my Shopify website. I do not have a great understanding of HTML so I struggled to figure out how to do some of the suggested solutions I found.

The solution I came up with was to change the translation of "Sold Out"" to "Coming Soon" in the language section of code. Here are the steps to get there:

1. Under Themes, click the drop down menu "Actions" and select "Edit code"
  2. Scroll down to the bottom and open the folder "Locales"
  3. Select "en.default.son"
  4. Click somewhere on the code and key in CTRL+F. This will bring up the search bar.
  5. Search the term "sold"
  6. It should bring you to a portion of code that reads "sold_out": "Sold out",
  7. Change to this: "sold_out": "Coming Soon",
  8. Next, select the products you want to be "Coming Soon" items.
  9. Allow Shopify to track Inventory on these products. Change the Inventory to "0".
  10. Check your webpage to see if this worked!

This will work for your store if you do not have Shopify track your inventory. We manually track our inventory, as many of our products are made to order. If you also run your store this way, this solution will work for you.

I hope this helps someone who is in a similar situation! 

Replies 12 (12)
Alicia_D_
Shopify Staff
90 0 20

Hey, Joey! 

Alicia here, from the Shopify Guru team!

Thanks for that great walk-through! The research you put into this really shows. I just wanted to add another option here, for anyone who may not be comfortable working with coding! An alternative to coding would be to use the language editor itself. To get there you would go to your Online Store > Themes and then select Actions > Edit language for the theme you're currently working on. The language editor can be a bit daunting as well, so I've found the easiest way to find the text that you're looking to change is to use the search bar and type in the current text.

Once you've done this, it will bring up all the areas of your theme that display that text, so you can determine which one changes exactly what you're looking for. In this case, I've found that the 'sold out' notice is under the Products/Product heading, and then the 'Sold out html' subheading is what you will want to change. There will be some HTML in that text bar, which may appear as `<br />` - this is just showign a break in the text, so you can decide whether you want to leave that there or not! All you have to do is swap out 'sold out' for 'coming soon'! 

I hope this is helpful as well! Please let me know if you have any questions at all - I'd be happy to help in any way that I can! 

All the best,

Alicia D. | Shopify Guru

support@shopify.com

Alicia | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Imarya
1 0 0

Every post is outdated.

TeamCEH
5 0 0

Hi there!  Thanks for these instructions!  I'm trying to update this page: https://chrystal-evans-hurst.myshopify.com/products/tsc-early-bird?variant=23178512072762

However, when I update the Sold Out language to Coming Soon it also changes the language at the top!  I have an early bird pricing structure so the current product shows as a sale.  Before adding the new language it had $599 crossed out and the current price $499.  Now it shows "Coming Soon" crossed out.  Is there any way to show the pricing?  What's weird is when I toggle between the choices the full registration prices show just fine.

cmartinez89
Shopify Partner
112 10 35

Don't follow the original suggestion on this page. If you wish to change any languages, you should go to your language in your theme settings. Revert the changes immediately, then go to online store > theme > languages > and find the sold out bit. Change that to Coming soon. Make sure to change the other code back to the way it was. I checked your site, and it appears you have entered something in the wrong place. Coming soon is where the product msrp is supposed to be. That's why it's crossed out, it's supposed to show regular price. It's showing that the 499.99 is a sale price correctly, but the original price has been overwritten with coming soon. In the span, there should be something like

{{ 'products.general.regular_price' | t }}

Should be an easy fix. 

I am a multi-disciplined web developer with years of experience working with several languages and frameworks.
TeamCEH
5 0 0
I actually did that. Had the same problemS didn’t matter if I changed code
or changed languages. Same problem.
cmartinez89
Shopify Partner
112 10 35

Okay, please go to your product-template.liquid it may be in sections > product-template. Hit control or command F. Search for this: 

price-item price-item--regular

and please copy and send that whole span in a reply. I cannot see what it's pulling with my dev tools. This is what i see: 

<dd>
      <span class="price-item price-item--regular" data-regular-price="">

Coming soon!

</span>
    </dd>

Which tells me something is clearly wrong with what it's pulling in that span class. 

I am a multi-disciplined web developer with years of experience working with several languages and frameworks.
TeamCEH
5 0 0

Hmmmm... I went and searched.  I don't see anything like that.  Even searched for "price" alone.  Nothing that comes up mirrors what you asked me to search for.

cmartinez89
Shopify Partner
112 10 35

Has to be there, you may be in the wrong area. What theme are you running?

Starfans
1 0 0

This was really helpful thanks!