Changing store from 1.0 theme (minimal) to dawn

KarenCalhoun
1 0 0

I've downloaded the dawn theme- but have not made it live yet (minimal theme store is my live one).  The dawn preview shows elements I removed or changed in the minimal theme a number of iterations ago.  Do I have to redo all these manually?  Or is there some way to import the latest version of my minimal-themed store to dawn?

Reply 1 (1)
Rick
Shopify Staff
35 6 12

Hello @KarenCalhoun 

Great to see you are interested in moving over to our brand new Dawn theme - good choice! I understand what you mean with regards to moving from an older Minimal theme. 

Each theme is essentially treated as a separate entity, and so edits or customisations that you made on your older Minimal theme, will mostly not carry over to the newly installed Dawn theme. With that said, there are certain elements that are stored outside the theme, and will be automatically transferred over to the new theme such as:

• Navigation
  • Pages
  • Products
  • Collections
  • Blog 

In this case, you would need to customise the new theme manually and get it ready to go before making it live and fully switching out the old one. You can have up to 20 themes in your theme library at any one time, and you free to work on them as you see fit. They won't replace your current live Minimal theme until you click 'Publish' in the themes section of the admin. We have some handy resources here on Customising Themes that you can use as a reference, and also some Dawn 2.0 specific documentation here to find out exactly what you can do.

If you needed some more in depth help, then you could always consider hiring a Shopify Expert that is skilled in themes to help with the theme change. 

Rick | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog