Copy blocks/sections to updated/new theme?

forvirginia
Tourist
4 0 2

As I understand it, whenever you install a new theme or an updated version of your theme (which is also considered new) then you have to redo all the sections and blocks. Previously this was limited to the homepage, but now that you can use sections and blocks on other pages the extra work that this involves has increased exponentially.

Is there any way to copy the existing blocks/sections at the CODE level like you can other settings (settings_data.json)? I see that the code is also in this file but it does not seem to work to display on the new theme as the other settings do.

Or if it should and I'm missing something here, please help!

Replies 3 (3)
KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
25061 2508 9071

@forvirginia 

Sorry you are facing this issue, it would be my pleasure to help you.

Welcome to the Shopify community!
Thanks for your good question.

Please share your site URL,
I will check out the issue and provide you a solution here.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Want to modify or custom changes on store Hire me.
- Feel free to contact me on bamaniyaketan.sky@gmail.com regarding any help
Shopify Partner | Skype : bamaniya.sky
PSD to Shopify | Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Theme Development and Desing | Custom Modifications In to Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing
forvirginia
Tourist
4 0 2

Thank you, but I've already completely moving my content over and making it more upgrade-friendly for the future. It would be nice to know though if Shopify plans to improve the upgradability of sections/blocks since they are now a site wide feature.

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
25061 2508 9071

@forvirginia 

thanks for update

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Want to modify or custom changes on store Hire me.
- Feel free to contact me on bamaniyaketan.sky@gmail.com regarding any help
Shopify Partner | Skype : bamaniya.sky
PSD to Shopify | Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Theme Development and Desing | Custom Modifications In to Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing