Solved

Create a list of collections on different pages in Dawn

maurinclan
Explorer
52 1 31

I have a number of collections in my shop, they are all categorized differently.  I would like to have multiple pages with lists of collections.  I see that in Dawn you can create different collection lists in the theme editor, but they all show up on all the pages, how do I create a different collection list for each page?  Thanks!!

Accepted Solution (1)
maurinclan
Explorer
52 1 31

This is an accepted solution.

This is how to create a number of different page templates, that you can connect your pages to, each with a different list of collections:

First you can create a new page template from the menu at the top of your theme editor: click on pages, then create new template:

2022-01-03.png

Name it after the page you want your list of collections on (make sure you have created the page first).

2022-01-03 (1).png

Then go over to where it says preview on the left and change that to the page that you want this list of collections on.  For example, I've named my page template "girls", and I have a page named "girls", and so I connected the "girls" page to this page template. 

Next, create your list of collections on this page by clicking on Add Section to the left and choosing the Collection List section.  Add the collections you want to show here, you'll need a collection image for each collection.

2022-01-03 (4).png

You also have to go into your page from the store editor in the pages menu:

2022-01-03 (2).png

then find the page you want to connect your new template to and find the template you just created here:

2022-01-03 (3).png

Now your page is connected to your new template with your list of collections.  You can create a new page template for each page you want a list of collections on.  You can only add 15 collections, but I found the code after some searching and was able to change that too. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Replies 16 (16)

maurinclan
Explorer
52 1 31

... so i've figured out how to do that with Dawn now, however there is a limit of 15 collections per list in a list, where is the code to change that?

navyspeed
Shopify Expert
7 0 2

How did you you do it? I am looking at this same situation for a website right now.

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
36839 3635 11972

@navyspeed 

Sorry you are facing this issue, it would be my pleasure to help you.

Welcome to the Shopify community!😊
Thanks for your good question.

Please share your site URL,
I will check out the issue and provide you a solution here.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Want to modify or custom changes on store Hire me.
- Feel free to contact me on bamaniyaketan.sky@gmail.com regarding any help
Shopify Partner | Skype : bamaniya.sky
PSD to Shopify | Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Theme Development and Desing | Custom Modifications In to Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing
navyspeed
Shopify Expert
7 0 2

It is for the Dawn theme. Essentially when you go to customize the pages in the theme editor all, such as adding a collection list, it is edited on all the pages. I need each page to have the ability to have separate customization done.  If you look below you see the page options in Dawn. However I need my pages to be separate and not share the options set on one.

navyspeed_0-1640176736945.png

maurinclan
Explorer
52 1 31

so far, i'm using different page templates from the theme editor.  So go to your theme editor, bring up the pages template at the top, and click on create new template and name it the same name as the link in your menu.

Then, you can add a section to the page, using the collections-list section.  You will have to create a new collections-list section for each page, and you can't name them so this could get confusing in the future, and there's a limit of 16 or so, I have to figure out how to change that.  If you figure that out, let me know!

blowerband
Tourist
10 0 1

can you share a screenshot or a visual example?  I might be having a similar issue but not sure if this solves it for me?

maurinclan
Explorer
52 1 31

This is an accepted solution.

This is how to create a number of different page templates, that you can connect your pages to, each with a different list of collections:

First you can create a new page template from the menu at the top of your theme editor: click on pages, then create new template:

2022-01-03.png

Name it after the page you want your list of collections on (make sure you have created the page first).

2022-01-03 (1).png

Then go over to where it says preview on the left and change that to the page that you want this list of collections on.  For example, I've named my page template "girls", and I have a page named "girls", and so I connected the "girls" page to this page template. 

Next, create your list of collections on this page by clicking on Add Section to the left and choosing the Collection List section.  Add the collections you want to show here, you'll need a collection image for each collection.

2022-01-03 (4).png

You also have to go into your page from the store editor in the pages menu:

2022-01-03 (2).png

then find the page you want to connect your new template to and find the template you just created here:

2022-01-03 (3).png

Now your page is connected to your new template with your list of collections.  You can create a new page template for each page you want a list of collections on.  You can only add 15 collections, but I found the code after some searching and was able to change that too. 

Hope this helps!

VivianY
Visitor
1 0 0

I am looking for ways to increase the collections from 15 to about 30. I want the collection name to be displayed at the home page which is also having the number of collection at the shop page. Can you please share the code if you have that? Thanks.

You can only add 15 collections, but I found the code after some searching and was able to change that too. 

Hope this helps!

jobelros
Tourist
3 0 2

Do you have the code?

jobelros
Tourist
3 0 2

Are you able to share the code? I'm also struggling with that!

Tezza
Visitor
2 0 0

Go to 'Online Store' > 'Themes' > click the 3 dots to the left of the 'Customise Button' and choose 'Edit Code'

Find the 'Sections' folder in the left-hand column and expand it.

Find the file 'collection-list.liquid' click it to see the file code.

Scroll down to around line 137 and change the number 'max_blocks' from 15 to whatever you like.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

Sections are per template, so any section you create/edit that's exactly what's used for every template assigned resource/object(collection,product,page,etc) .

Use alternate templates per page

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/online-store/themes/theme-structure/templates#create-a-new-templa... 

Overall though it's not clear what you are doing , what do you mean by page?

the type shown at myshopify.com/collections, or a /collections/collection-handle type page,  or  a /pages/page-handle type page  ,etc etc

(About the collections list template https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/online-store/themes/themes-by-shopify/vintage-themes/customizing-... , https://shopify.dev/themes/architecture/templates/list-collections )

however there is a limit of 15 collections per list in a list,

What "list" are you using? a section? an app? in which template?

Generally you to increase a block limit you need to go into the section file and edit it's scheme settings, however currently the max is 16 blocks.

So in situations when you need to show groups of collections, or lists of collections you'll need a customization often using link-lists, navigation menus, to organize everything.

For shopify's free vintage themes shopify has a guide on this for their 

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/online-store/themes/themes-by-shopify/vintage-themes/customizing-...  (it would have to be modified for OS2.0 JSON template based themes like Dawn)

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

maurinclan
Explorer
52 1 31

that's what i've been doing so far, creating a new page template for each list of collections.  Then I can add my collections to that page template using the collection lists that i'm creating.  However, one of my collections has 70 different categories, or collections in it, how can I increase the number of collections i can include in the list?

Or is there a different way to do it altogether?  

To clarify: I need multiple pages that each contain a different set of collections on it.  The pages will be linked to my menu, so that when they click on the page, they can see multiple collection images to click on to take them to that collection.  

Thanks for your help!

Pat5455
Visitor
1 0 0

Currently dealing with the same issue, however the suggested fix is aweful. Because now you click a page that says "Item" Then there's a title that says "Item" Then there is a collection link that says "Item" .... Then you click that link and it shows the collection. Can we just have a freaking add collection on a per page basis please shopify without redundant links within links? This is extremely unprofessional looking.

abbaspk70
Shopify Partner
2 1 1

I am facing the same problem. i would like to have one template which can be used for different pages listing different list of collections. in Dawn them if you create a template and add section of list collections, it will show same collection if you apply same template to different page. so you need to create different template for each page in order to add different list of collection in it which is time consuming if someone have a lot of categories in the store.

Tezza
Visitor
2 0 0

TO INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF COLLECTION YOU CAN ADD TO A NEW TEMPLATE FROM 15 TO WHATEVER YOU LIKE SEE BELOW:

Go to 'Online Store' > 'Themes' > click the 3 dots to the left of the 'Customise Button' and choose 'Edit Code'

Find the 'Sections' folder in the left-hand column and expand it.

Find the file 'collection-list.liquid' click it to see the file code.

Scroll down to around line 137 and change the number 'max_blocks' from 15 to whatever you like.