Solved

Can I update Shopify's Dawn Theme 6.0.1 without reconfiguring it?

Kennyd1
Excursionist
30 2 7

Hello, I would like to know if there is any way to update the themes without having to configure everything from scratch. Example of some important features that have been updated in the new version:

v6.0.0

💥 Major changes

• Rich text improvements - #1635
  • Cart drawer - #1544

🚀 Feature enhancements

• Add settings to tweak the top and bottom padding in the header section - #1654
  • Update banner image and logo image to use img_tag - #1701

🐜 Bug fix

• Remove unused settings - #1617
  • Remove recaptcha visibility hidden on contact form - #1637
  • Fix product structure data markup for brand property - #1600
  • Fix empty collection links - #1639
  • Fix first image lazy load on main product template - #1286
  • Replace the hex code by currentColor - #1591
  • Fix button spinner on Safari - #1646
  • Remove gradient when slider container is set to be hidden on desktop - #1643
  • Revert flex grow on collage card_content - #1662
  • Update the minimum header padding to zero - #1688
  • Fix a typo in main-product.liquid - #1647
  • 1-click quick add for products with one non default variant - #1610
  • Update spacing below product media - #1689
  • Remove button type and button 1 ids - #1705
  • Fix product media slider peek - #1696
  • Remove alt text to improve screen reader experience - #1679
  • Update subtotal header for accessibility - #1680
  • Remove extra whitespace on quick add modals - #1706
  • Add vertical padding to blocks for the Collapsible content section - #1655
  • Fix syntax error caused by missing calc in product CSS - #1703
  • Cart drawer section fix - #1742
Accepted Solution (1)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

This is an accepted solution.

Hello, @Kennyd1.

Thank you for reaching out and posting this question!

If you're upgrading from a Vintage theme to the latest version of the Dawn theme, then you would need to start from scratch as they are completely different versions. Please check out our guide on upgrading to an Online store 2.0 theme as we've also included a migration guide for upgrading your existing theme to Online store 2.0 manually. It's also important to note that not all apps are compatible with Online store 2.0, so I'd encourage double-checking the app's page or checking with the app developers directly before moving forward - you can reach out directly to the developer through the contact information found in the Support section of their app pages. 

If you're already using an earlier version of the Dawn theme, then you can simply update your theme. Any customizations made to your theme using the Theme Editor are copied over and applied to the updated theme, so you're not starting from scratch. However, any coding changes made by you or an app would need to be reviewed and reinstalled.

I'd love to hear more about your current theme! Are you upgrading from a Vintage theme or an earlier version of the Dawn theme? Or, are you using a different Online store 2.0 theme?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 13 (13)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

This is an accepted solution.

Hello, @Kennyd1.

Thank you for reaching out and posting this question!

If you're upgrading from a Vintage theme to the latest version of the Dawn theme, then you would need to start from scratch as they are completely different versions. Please check out our guide on upgrading to an Online store 2.0 theme as we've also included a migration guide for upgrading your existing theme to Online store 2.0 manually. It's also important to note that not all apps are compatible with Online store 2.0, so I'd encourage double-checking the app's page or checking with the app developers directly before moving forward - you can reach out directly to the developer through the contact information found in the Support section of their app pages. 

If you're already using an earlier version of the Dawn theme, then you can simply update your theme. Any customizations made to your theme using the Theme Editor are copied over and applied to the updated theme, so you're not starting from scratch. However, any coding changes made by you or an app would need to be reviewed and reinstalled.

I'd love to hear more about your current theme! Are you upgrading from a Vintage theme or an earlier version of the Dawn theme? Or, are you using a different Online store 2.0 theme?

ferycolo
Tourist
3 0 0

Hello Elias! Is Dawn versión 5.0.0 the latest one? If not, how I can update it?

Kennyd1
Excursionist
30 2 7

Hello friend, these are the latest official updates.

Releases · Shopify/dawn (github.com)

ferycolo
Tourist
3 0 0

Thank you! However, don't know how to install it :S

Kennyd1
Excursionist
30 2 7

https://github.com/Shopify/dawn/archive/refs/tags/v6.0.2.zip

Just download the zip file and go up in the themes section
ferycolo
Tourist
3 0 0

I just downloaded it. Could you please let me know the path to get into the theme section installation? Just to give you more context...I already have installed the version V.05 in my store, just want to to the update the version, Will this cause any issue in my current site? It is not live yet though.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hello, @ferycolo.

Thank you for joining the thread!

The latest version of the Dawn theme is version 6.0.2, which can be identified under the Support and documentation section on the theme's page. If you're already using the Dawn theme version 5.0.0, then you can simply update your theme and any customizations you've made through the Theme Editor will be copied over. However, as mentioned in my previous post, you'd still need to check over your apps and reinstall the snippets of coding to the updated theme. 

If you need any help with reinstalling a third-party app, then the app developers are always available to assist you - you can reach out to them directly through the contact information found in the Support section of their app pages. 

I'd love to hear more about your business! How is updating your theme coming along? What kinds of products do you sell? 

etienne21
Explorer
51 2 28

Hi,

I am still on Dawn version 4.0.0 and though it says so, there is no update button next to it. That is because I made code changes I guess?

Is there a way to copy the live theme to my Theme Library, update the inactive theme to 6.0.2 and then add the code changes to it before publishing it live?

Currently, though I am at 4.0.0 I only see the start from scratch option.........

Do inactive themes in your own Theme Library normally also have the update button?

Thanks,

Etienne

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hi, @etienne21.

Thank you for joining the thread and posting this question!

If the update theme feature isn't available, then it's likely that you have too many code changes that are preventing you from being able to update the theme automatically. Instead, you can try downloading the theme file by installing the latest version of the Dawn theme and then manually applying all of your settings and customizations. Alternatively, you can also duplicate your theme to make a copy. From there, you can try updating the theme using the source codes for the Dawn theme shared by @Kennyd1 and publishing the theme when your theme is ready. 

Inactive themes can also have the update theme button. Nevertheless, as previously mentioned, this will depend on whether the themes are eligible for updates. If a theme is eligible for updating, then it will copy all the customizations made within the Theme editor; however, this doesn't transfer any custom coding or codes from apps.  

I'd love to hear more about your business! What industry is your business in? Was there a particular feature that you're updating the theme for?

etienne21
Explorer
51 2 28

Hello @Elias,

Apologies for the late reply.

Code changes I made are quite a few:

1. Add liquid code option to the accordion

2. change the icon size on the multi-column block and center the text

3. added javascript to global.js for updating the EAN code when people select a new product (EAN code is on a product page)

4. adding breadcrumbs

5. added lazy loading to the currency selector (load the country flags later)

6. some base.css adjustments for alignments and bolder texts in especially menu's and child menu items

7. moving the search button on a mobile screen

And I guess, apps also change the code, like a wishlist icon on each product.

I will give the manual option you mentioned a try.

Duplicating or downloading the theme seem to be the only option.

It do believe it would probably be faster to have the theme updated automatically and then add the code back into it. In that case I loose less. Because starting all over, also means copying/recreating the home page with images etc, copying product page templates and probably language changes too (e.g. Free Shipping instead shipping fees added at checkout), etc.

Organiqa-D
Explorer
46 0 11

Hey @etienne21 , 

I hope you are doing well!

I am just in the same shoes and I would really hear if you could find a solution for your issue. 
That would be a great help if you could update me. 

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards, 
Barbara at Organiqa

etienne21
Explorer
51 2 28

Hi @Organiqa-D 

Not yet, it is a process that is quite time consuming to setup correctly I am afraid. It has to be done efficiently as we are already at version 7.0 I see. I don't fancy changing/starting all over every 2 months or so.

I see many bug fixes and small changes to the themes, so updating them would be great.

Another thought I have is creating separate files and then see if I can have a "include" function into the original theme files with my code/css files. I have no idea how far fetched that is though.

Organiqa-D
Explorer
46 0 11

Thanks @etienne21, I'll take a look into it!