Dawn Theme - Custom HTML for Video Autoplay

Solved
SVNSales
Tourist
9 0 3

Hello all!

I'm building a new online store using the Dawn theme, but have encountered a major obstacle with no solution I can find.

Essentially, I want my home page to have an autoplaying, muted, looped short video on it. I have explored the the built in "video" section as well as tried using a GIF in the "image" section, but encounter clunky "click to watch" functionality with the former and GIF size/quality limitations with the latter. This leads me to believe my only option is a custom HTML element - of which I found a helpful example on this community post.

However, I can't for the life of me find a way to add a custom HTML section/block to the Dawn theme, the way I could with older ones. The closest I see is "Custom Liquid". Even the "edit code" option just takes me to a list of .liquid and .css files, with no apparent way of creating an HTML element. What am I missing here?

Also open to other solutions to this problem, as long as the end result is a nice video playing when customers visit my page! I can upload the video anywhere (YouTube, Drive, Shopify files, etc.) that'll allow this to work.

Much appreciated.

0 Likes
Ninthony
Shopify Partner
2247 338 896

This is an accepted solution.

You can use the custom liquid block just like the custom html block, upside is now  you can use liquid in it.

<style>
video {
width: 80%;
display: block;
margin: 0 auto;
}
</style>
<video controls autoplay>
    <source src="/media/cc0-videos/flower.webm"
                  type="video/webm">
    <source src="/media/cc0-videos/flower.mp4"
                  type="video/mp4">
</video>

That'll give you a video element that's 80% width and centered, video code taken directly from MDN Web Docs. Just change out your sources and change whatever styles.

If my solution helped you, please like it and accept it as the solution!
If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
SVNSales
Tourist
9 0 3

You're an absolute wizard, thank you for this simple and effective solution! The page is still a work in progress, but feel free to check out the preview here. I made some changes to the style - hide controls, muted, autoplay, playsinline, and loop - here's the resulting code for the benefit of others:

<style>
video {
width: 100%;
height: auto;
display: block;
margin: 0 auto;
}
</style>
<video muted autoplay playsinline loop>
                  type="video/mp4">
                  type="video/mp4">
</video>

(I replaced my video URL with the example one)

Thank you, again!

Ninthony
Shopify Partner
2247 338 896

No problem, glad it helped.

If my solution helped you, please like it and accept it as the solution!
If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
SanaRenard
1 0 1

Wow, guys, thank you so much for the code!

I have 0 knowledge and experience with coding and HTML, but with your code I made beautiful banner with video on my homepage!

Thanks a lot!

PLANBERLIN
1 0 0

I have tried this and I am still struggling. Is there a step I am missing? 

0 Likes
viktor_vaughn
2 0 0

You are awesome 

0 Likes
viktor_vaughn
2 0 0

I wish I can kiss you!

0 Likes
SVNSales
Tourist
9 0 3

Which part are you struggling with, exactly? 

0 Likes
ofimile123
Tourist
4 0 0

Hello,

I've also tried to copy the code and it appears just blank. Ive uploaded my video to a YouTube channel and tried to copy the embed link etc but still just shows a blank section on my Shopify store where the video is supposed to be. Any advice?

0 Likes