Deleting Product Images but not the Image File

erin20
Visitor
3 0 0

I am replacing the product images in my products, but I do not want the old photos to be deleted because we use the URL's for those images in many other places. Is there a way to remove an image from a product without deleting the file?

Replies 3 (3)

thirtycoders
Shopify Partner
37 7 9

Hi @erin20,

Yes, you can remove an image from a product in Shopify without deleting the file or its associated URL.

• Go to your product list.
  • Choose the product you want to update.
  • Click on "Edit product."
  • Scroll down to the "Images" section.
  • Hover over the image you want to remove, and click the trash bin icon.
  • Save your changes.

By doing this, you're only removing the image from that specific product, but the file and its URL will remain intact for use in other places.

Thank you

Thirtycoders || Shopify Partner
Found my response useful? Show your appreciation with a Like!
Did your query get resolved? Mark it as an Accepted Solution.
For additional discussions, reach out via: Email ID: thirtycoders@gmail.com
erin20
Visitor
3 0 0

I don't see an "Edit product" button but I go into the product, there is no "Images" section but there is a "Media" section where the images live. Hovering only shows a checkmark box and I a dragging icon. but if i click the checkmark box (or just the image), then click on the Trash Icon and it deletes the image out of the product AND my Files. The image is no longer in my files after I do this. 

erin20
Visitor
3 0 0

An update I received from the Shopify team.

"We understand your need to retain the URLs of the old images for use in other areas, and we acknowledge that our current platform does not directly support this requirement. We have received similar feedback from other merchants, and I want to assure you that your voice is important to us. I will add your feedback to our internal system to increase our developers' visibility into this issue."