Edit Metafields themes 2.0 in bulk editor

Pedro_73
Shopify Partner
28 1 14

There's any way to edit the new metafields fields in a bulk mode ?

Replies 33 (33)

corbin403
Tourist
3 0 3

Not sure, I can't find an answer anywhere. I've reached out to support, and they didn't have a way for me to bulk update the NEW metafields (since August 2021) in the admin. They only an old way from a couple years ago, where you bulk edit by altering a URL with the metafield's namespace. But I can't get it to work with the new metafields since Aug 2021. Hoping there's something soon, because that would save me a lot of time.

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
36844 3636 11978

@Pedro_73 

no sorry its not possible 

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Want to modify or custom changes on store Hire me.
- Feel free to contact me on bamaniyaketan.sky@gmail.com regarding any help
Shopify Partner | Skype : bamaniya.sky
PSD to Shopify | Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Theme Development and Desing | Custom Modifications In to Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing

natashadisante
Shopify Partner
126 0 14

@Pedro_73 

You can easily bulk edit your Shopify store's metafields from Mixtable's Google Sheet-like spreadsheet interface. Mixtable supports both the new, 2.0 metafields, and the old metafield formats.

Javier83
Tourist
4 0 5

Hi Natasha - Is this promo still available?

LAUNCH PLAN

Free The first 50 stores to install Mixtable get to use it for free for a year

natashadisante
Shopify Partner
126 0 14

Yes - we've extended it past the first 50 stores for now

LetsGetDigital
Shopify Partner
42 0 49

Trying it now to bulk add a metafield to 253 products.

Really intuitive to use.

How do I implement the free for a year offer?

Let's Get Digital (dot net)
briancuration
Tourist
4 0 5

I have put off updating the metafields in my Shopify 2.0 store because the task was daunting.

Yesterday I started to undertake the process... 1 product at a time. It was tedious, laborious, and frustrating.

I installed the mixtable app, and had to pay for the advanced license to do the metafield editing.

That said. the product is GENIUS

I was able to complete ALL the products in the time it took to do just a few before using this app.

WELL worth the money. HIGHLY recommended

natashadisante
Shopify Partner
126 0 14

Thank you @briancuration for the wonderful vote of confidence!!

briancuration
Tourist
4 0 5
I wish I had gotten in on the lower price trial or whatnot... but I was
intimidated by the process of doing metafields.
Also, I tend to not like to read directions, so the first time I installed
the editor, I was looking at it going "oh this sucks, this is going to be
worse than programming in .liquid"

But honestly, when I installed it, and looked at it, read the directions...
which all took MAYBE 5-10 minutes to go through everything and sync it....
once i did that. it was SO easy.
I am VERY appreciative of the product

whiteoxcreative
Visitor
1 0 1

I'm curious if Mixtable would allow me to bulk edit the actual values assigned to metafields. For example, one of the metafields I'm using is weight. I've assigned that metafield to different product types but when the weights change and I need to update the weight of all of Widget A at once, does Mixtable work?

natashadisante
Shopify Partner
126 0 14

For sure. You can use our bulk find and replace within the spreadsheet to do that. Or you can wire up things with Excel-style formulas.

Caroline_Schnap
Shopify Staff
5827 1 369

Hi Natasha,

I noticed that the 'false' value cannot be saved on a boolean metafield. Only an empty cell, or a cell marked with 'TRUE' will correctly sync up. 

Caroline_Schnap | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

natashadisante
Shopify Partner
126 0 14

Hi Caroline - we think we know what's going on, and will have a fix out shortly. 

natashadisante
Shopify Partner
126 0 14

Hi Caroline. We've released an update and setting the cell to false should sync with no issues to a boolean metafield. If you continue to run into issues please drop us a line at team@mixtable.com so we can take a look at it asap

netocrat
Visitor
2 0 6

Try the following: 

___________.myshopify.com/admin/bulk?resource_name=Product&edit=%3Fresource_name%3DProduct&edit=metafields.products.amazon

dhirenjb
Visitor
2 0 1

You are incredible!

maknij
Excursionist
29 0 6

Yes! Thanks, this saved me countless hours adding new metafields in bulk

Eduard0
Shopify Partner
6 2 4

This solution works like a charm 🙂

Kjetil_Eide
Shopify Partner
2 0 3

This was great! A free way to do it

just change the end: "products.amazon" to the name of your metafield.

@netocrat wrote:

Try the following: 

___________.myshopify.com/admin/bulk?resource_name=Product&edit=%3Fresource_name%3DProduct&edit=metafields.products.amazon

😉

ozcardscurrency
Visitor
1 0 0

Spent hours using this method, saving each page of 50 and waiting for it to complete, then moving to the next page of products. Then after a couple hours of work, went to inspect it in action, and nothing worked. Opened up the individual products that I had edited using this method, and the metafields were not saved to the product. Method doesn't work.

TheThisThat
Shopify Partner
61 3 17

@Kjetil_Eide I could not remember that darn url. So helpful and um free.

a little of this and a little of that
Yurith
Shopify Partner
10 0 0

How do you erase a metafield with the url?

koraay57
Visitor
2 0 1

I tried it and was able to see the overview and edit my metafields in bulk. But after I saved the page I am getting an error "50 products couldnt be updatet" :S Do you have any idea ?

TheThisThat
Shopify Partner
61 3 17

I gave up on the link because something has changed. Not sure what but I can't use it to access variant.metafields anymore. I tried out that mixtable app and it's worth paying the $ for it when you need to do a large bit of editing.

cmathison11211
Visitor
2 0 0

I keep getting an error "Request failed with status code 500." The app won't update any values I add to my pre-existing metafields. Any ideas on what is going on? 

TheThisThat
Shopify Partner
61 3 17

I went to Matrixify becauseI had a LOT of variants and Mixtable doesn't work well with large sets as it's trying to update everything in real time. Matrixify is offline so you have to import and export but it's been a lifesaver for me. 

Excan-Nick
Excursionist
13 0 2

Would it be possible to add a vendor to this link instead of having to scroll through 50 products on the store at a time in alphabetical order?

JimmyRittenborg
Shopify Partner
9 1 5

Yes, just filter by vendor - choose to batch edit and the edit the &edit= parameter with the metafield accordingly after.

The 500 error is caused by products not initially having the specific metafield attached yet - a workaround would be to quickly flick through those products and fill the metafield with something quickly, then you can batch edit em' all afterwards.

Hopefully Shopify will provide nicer native batch editing capabilities for metafields in the future 🤞🏻🤞🏻

– Jimmy, Founder & Web Engineer at Rittencom, Shopify Partner since 2014

jesperahlbomUK
Shopify Partner
53 4 25

@JimmyRittenborg solution works at this point, thanks 👌😃

URL example: YOURSTORE.myshopify.com/admin/bulk?resource_name=Product&edit=YOURMETAFIELD 

Note
Make sure to remove the product. part from the metafield value so you start at metafields.

Screenshot 2022-08-23 at 05.31.37.png

You should get something like this

Screenshot 2022-08-23 at 05.29.22.png

MaxDesign
Shopify Expert
204 15 80

At the time of writing, metafields bulk editing seems to be in early access. But it's likely it's available to you when you read this. You should not need to use the url trick anymore. Here are the steps:

1. From your Shopify admin, click Products.
  2. Use the checkboxes to select each product that you want to edit.
  3. Click Edit products.
  4. Click Columns (top right corner).
  5. In the METAFIELDS section (usually at the end of the list), select the Metafields that you want to edit in bulk.

A new column should then appear in your bulk editor. Here is a screenshot example:

MaxDesign_0-1669479818510.png

Reach out to me at admin@maxdesign.expert
koraay57
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi Max, thanks for your update! Thisnis awesome 🙂

Best regards

Koray

jmp
Excursionist
23 2 49

Awww, I had them a few weeks ago, but now the Metafield columns are gone again in the bulk edit page 😞

Any idea why or when we can expect to get them back, Max?

JimmyRittenborg
Shopify Partner
9 1 5

Metafields are in the Shopify Bulk Editor here at my stores 🤔

It was also officially announced here https://changelog.shopify.com/posts/bulk-editing-support-for-product-metafields-with-definitions

– Jimmy, Founder & Web Engineer at Rittencom, Shopify Partner since 2014