Editing product information collapsible row in Craft theme 2.0

untildawnshop
Tourist
6 0 19

Hi guys!

So i recently switched from the simple theme to the theme "Craft" as I loved so many of it's features - one of which being the collapsible rows for Dimensions, Product Care and Materials on the product pages.

However, I can't work out how to change the content for each product listing - it only gives me an option to edit these on the theme editor, but surely if I do it there it'll say the same thing for every product?!

Would love some insight into where I'm going wrong - it seems ridiculous that there wouldn't be a built in option for this on the product pages themselves??

The URL of my website is www.untildawnshop.com and the password to view is Priaxu - really appreciate any pointers anyone can give me!

Hannah 

Replies 23 (23)

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
36835 3635 11966

@untildawnshop 

yes each product page show different can you please check theme setting or add metafiled 

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Want to modify or custom changes on store Hire me.
- Feel free to contact me on bamaniyaketan.sky@gmail.com regarding any help
Shopify Partner | Skype : bamaniya.sky
PSD to Shopify | Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Theme Development and Desing | Custom Modifications In to Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing
untildawnshop
Tourist
6 0 19

Is there not a way to do it without using meta fields? Like in the product information? Because this seems like a huge oversight on Shopify’s part as surely if it’s part of the theme it should be much easier to use than setting up meta fields…?

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
36835 3635 11966

@untildawnshop 

yes meta filed's good idea  can you try

PSD to Shopify | Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Theme Development and Desing | Custom Modifications In to Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing
untildawnshop
Tourist
6 0 19

Is there a way this themes features can work without setting up meta fields?

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
36835 3635 11966

@untildawnshop 

It can be done by doing some code customization. Please take the help of a developer and hire Shopify Expert or me

cschroeter
Tourist
6 0 4

Did you figure this out? I'm thinking of switching to Dawn or Craft because they both have the Collapsible Rows; however, if I can't change them on the product page it's not going to be worth the extra effort. I'm still using the Supply theme and actually coded for "tabs" which is basically the same thing. I can edit those on the product page. So this might stop me from upgrading to 2.0 as I have no idea how to use the metafields and again, seems like a lot of work and very confusing since each product will have different descriptions under each row. The headers can be the same, but the description need to be different.

untildawnshop
Tourist
6 0 19

Hi!

No, unfortunately I haven't found anything - to be honest, I'm sort of annoyed at the fact that it's inbuilt into a free theme, I didn't put these collapsible rows in, so I assumed it would be naturally built into the product editor when I changed theme.

The fact that you then have to work out metafields or potentially pay out even more cash to get someone to make the free theme work for you seems like either a con or a huge oversight by Shopify, and it makes things incredibly awkward when you're a small business who just needs an effective, working website which is easy to update!

So unfortunately, I can't help - I was hoping someone would have a straight forward solution but I'm thinking perhaps the updates 2.0 themes haven't been used enough yet for Shopify to problem solve these issues? I'm not sure. It's very frustrating as they would have made the whole thing much, much more user friendly but I think at this rate I'm just going to include this information in the main product description and remove the collapsible rows from the theme.

MetafieldsGuru
Shopify Partner
157 32 95

You may want to try adding a new "collapsible row" by copying the source code from the existing ones. It's pretty much a copy-and-paste solution, so it might work. Here's the link to a similar thread.

Check out Metafields Guru, the #1 ranked metafields app.

Bulk editor | Data import/export | Metafield sets | Browser extension
HVLW
Visitor
2 0 3

This is ridiculous and I share your frustration.  I have been trying to figure this out for days with no solution.  We went with shopify because it was marketed as "easy and user friendly' for inexperienced online store owners. We are a small business and do not have time to waste on trivial website options.  Even picking a color scheme has proved to be more difficult than it has to be.  I am not a coder, nor do I plan on learning coding in order to sell my items online.  Even adding personalization options for products has been a daunting task.  Best of luck to you and your small business!!

juicee1
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello, I recently upgraded to the Crave 2.0 theme specifically for the collapsible rows. Not sure if your theme is different, but here is how I did mine. In order to add them, you need to be in your theme (customize). Click on the product and on the left side should be the info to customize. There is a drop-down for Product Info. This is where you can add the collapsible rows. They are indicated by (blocks). You can name and add an icon.

The only issue is I am working with the support team on a few things. So basically if you have a "shipping", "returns" etc page it will show on all your product pages. But, if you are adding "ingredients", How to use" etc, with a page added to your store to link the row to - they do not reflect the change you made. They are not "STATIC PAGES because each info will change based on the product.

The rows are for statics pages only that will appear the same on each product page. Hope this help if you are just adding basic info. I have to add the "how to use", ingredients'", key benefits', etc in my product description on my product page - not a collapsible row.

edited: I just heard back from support on how add all my info for my product pages. 

You've assigned the 'how to use' (for example) blocks to the product information section for every product using the 'default' template, (which is every product). So if they only want that on one product, you will need to make a new template and assign it to the respective product. You can learn how to do that in this guide here - [Templates · Shopify Help Center](https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/online-store/themes/theme-structure/templates#create-a-new-templa...

Bram1987
Excursionist
33 0 63

Hello @untildawnshop I'm struggling with the same issue; in fact, struggling more with the idea that Shopify would put this collapsable feature on a theme then not let you actually insert any information in it rather than not having collapsable in the first place. Did you manage to solve it? I had a look at your site and saw that you don't have them at all now, did you switch to another theme?

untildawnshop
Tourist
6 0 19
Hi!
I ended up removing them from the theme - I had to get the site back up and I didn’t have the time to faff with it. But definitely a ridiculous feature on Shopify’s part. I’d love to have them but it was just a silly amount of work which, as many of my products are one of a kind, it wasn’t worth doing!
I’m sorry I can’t be if more help!
ShopDesigner
Shopify Partner
22 0 5

In case you're still wondering how to do this -- yes, you do need to use metafields, and it's not that difficult once you've got them set up.

1. Go to Settings and choose Metafields. Add two new metafields to match what's in the template (Materials and Dimensions).

2. Go to the theme designer and choose the default product page to design.

3. On the left hand side under Product Information, you'll see the Materials and Dimensions blocks. These are not automatically connected to your metafields.

4. Click the field you want to connect to a metafield. (For instance Materials.)

5. You'll see a section that says Row Content. Click into that field. then click the little database icon (looks like a stack of pancakes). When you roll over it, you'll see "insert dynamic source".

6. Select the dynamic source for the content (Materials or Dimensions, depending). You'll see it appear in the field. Click Save.

Now when you preview your product page, those collapsible sections will show the data from the product that you've added to them via the metafields.

This is such a simple and elegant solution, it's too bad it's not very intuitive for beginners to figure out. Hopefully this is helpful for those people who were struggling on this like I was a couple of hours ago!

ShopDesigner
Shopify Partner
22 0 5

I should mention ... of course, the metafields need to have data in them for anything to display. So in addition to following all the steps above, you need to go into your Products and add the actual data for Materials and Dimensions for each product.

Bram1987
Excursionist
33 0 63

Hi @ShopDesigner yes you are right; I did figure it out in the end and indeed, it isn't as impossible as I thought it was. There is no clear explanation of the process unfortunately (your explanation is good though!) and I was under the impression that it was necessary to insert all possible values as a metafield and then afterwards selecting it on the product page, but you just have to create the metafield for the characteristic you want to be displayed once and then actually insert the values you want to show on the product page. It is indeed quite a nice solution as it gives you an amazing range of information you can display. It's a shame it isn't clearly explained (yet?) on the Shopify help pages and even through the Shopify chat I wasn't able to get this clearly explained by an agent. Luckily it works now though 🙂 

ShopDesigner
Shopify Partner
22 0 5
Oh I’m glad you got it to work for you!
Bram1987
Excursionist
33 0 63

Actually I do have another issue now; we have our website available in two languages. However the app we use for translations (ETranslate) doesn't allow us to translate these manually created metafields. So now when a customer switches from English to Portuguese, everything is translated except the content in the collapsible row. Anyone have any idea how to address this? The app didn't provide any solution but I'm not sure they understood my problem in the first place. 

juststarted
Visitor
1 0 2

In case this step by step is hard to follow, I found this video which does the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj83TGcczyU.

I have finally got customised collapsible descriptions!

Would be nice if Shopify just built this in.

JS03
7 0 0

Really appreciated! I've sorted out following your youtube video.

JS03
7 0 0

Thanks. I cannot find where to add metafields, but only this: Settings - Custom Data - Metaobjects - Add defination?

Bram1987
Excursionist
33 0 63

HI @untildawnshop see the solution provided by @ShopDesigner below if still interested, it's a bit tricky at first but when you get it it really works and doesn't cost you much time at all!

mgrab
Visitor
1 0 0

Have you tried creating a new product page template so that not every single one of the product pages is following the "default product page" template? You can do this through the drop down at the top of the theme editor > products > create template. Otherwise it does default to every product page following the default template & any change applied through the theme editor will apply to all of the products using that template.

You'd need to create a unique template to use for each product page that you want to hold unique content outside of the product details pulled through the admin products but this is the same process as using page templates in Online Store 2.0 themes so would be worth a shot. 

JS03
7 0 0

I'm having the same issue. I would like to use collapsible row for all products, but the content are different. Once I've added the block into "product information" template, all products have the same content within collapsible row. 

templete.JPG

How could I put content within collapsible row for each product?