Gift Card Email Landing Users On Blank Screen

Solved
Sneiv
Tourist
8 1 2

When someone purchases a gift card they receive the email with a link that says 'View Gift Card' that they click to see the 16 digit code. The problem is that when they click on 'View Gift Card' link it lands the user on a blank screen and they have to then scroll down to see the gift card. This causes a lot of issues for users as they see a blank screen and it's not always obvious that there is something lower on the page. I receive a lot of email about this. Is it possible to move the gift card image higher up on the page so that the user see's something other than a blank screen?

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Sneiv
Tourist
8 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks, Hillary. There was a styling issue in my store theme that I was able to get a developer to take care of.

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)
Hilary
Community Moderator
537 78 102

Hi, @Sneiv 

Sorry to hear your customers are having issues with viewing gift cards being sent by your store. I can imagine that would be confusing for them. 

What theme are you using?
Have you made any changes to the Gift card created notification template? Or, have you made any changes to the gift_card.liquid file in your theme? If you've had anyone do some custom coding for you for your gift cards, they may have edited this file. 

Has this always been an issue, or is it something that's only started happening recently? 

Once I have a little more information, we can go from there. Thanks! 

Hilary | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Sneiv
Tourist
8 1 2

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am using the Atlantic theme and I have never edited the giftcard.liquid code or the gift card html in the Shopify notifications admin section. I believe that this is a new problem as I have sold many gift cards but just started to hear about this issue for the first time this week from multiple different customers. And I can recreate the problem on multiple different devices.

Now that I look at it in more detail, it appears that the email content is generated from the HMTL in the Shopify admin, and the page that the 'View Gift Card' link takes you to (https://checkout.shopify.com/gift_cards/123456789..........) is the part of my stores theme? Am I thinking about correctly?

Hilary
Community Moderator
537 78 102

Yes, it sounds like you are thinking about it correctly. Essentially, the email that your customer receives containing the gift card is generated from the HTML found in the Settings > Notifications section of your Shopify Admin, which is standardized across Shopify stores, but can be customized. 

From within this email, when the customer clicks the View gift card button, this then opens the gift card itself, which is generated from the gift_card.liquid template file which is determined by your theme. Any issues arising on the actual gift card page will be very likely theme-related. 

You can try previewing the gift card URL in an un-customized Shopify theme to help determine where the issue is coming from. First, you can add a fresh version of your theme to your store. Next, in a new tab open a gift card you have been using to test this - the page that is having errors. In the other tab, preview the fresh theme and copy the parameters from the end of the gift card url and add them to the URL from your preview. Inside the preview, you would add the /gift_cards/456457954/abd4a780df937f828abb9d43f part of the URL to the end of your store name. 

For example, thisismystore.myshopify.com/gift_cards/456457954/abd4a780df937f828abb9d43f. Remember, this is inside a preview of an un-edited copy of your theme. 

Let me know how this goes! If you're seeing the error inside the fresh theme preview, the next step will be to reach out to the theme developer directly, as this will be an issue within the theme. If you do not still see the issue in the theme preview, the next step will be trying to revert code changes that may have been made to your giftcard.liquid file - if you are doing this, make sure to duplicate your current theme first. 

As well, if you're having troubles with these troubleshooting steps, let me know!

Sneiv
Tourist
8 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks, Hillary. There was a styling issue in my store theme that I was able to get a developer to take care of.

View solution in original post

Hilary
Community Moderator
537 78 102

Thanks for replying to let us know what's happened! Glad to hear we were able to pinpoint the issue, and that you've since been able to get it resolved. 

I've marked this topic as solved for the benefit of others who may find it in the future. All the best!