Trailblazer
229 2 49

Screenshot 2022-04-25 at 3.12.20 AM.png

Replies 5 (5)

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi @lslelegance .

Due to copyright and legal measures in place, the payment icons cannot be redesigned or altered in any way. May I ask why you are looking to edit these icons or hide them in general?

Looking forward to your reply.

Holly | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

lslelegance
Trailblazer
229 2 49

@Holly well the issue is why I cannot use union pay via Shopify on Stripe when union pay is an official partner payment credit card  with Stripe in Hong Kong? 

https://stripe.com/docs/payments/cards/supported-card-brands 

Screenshot 2022-04-25 at 3.34.10 PM.png

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Thanks for the clarification @lslelegance !

While Shopify Payments is powered by Stripe and available to merchants in Hong Kong, there is a limitation in terms of the supported cards used through our platform. Although Stripe may offer China UnionPay, using our payment gateway only allows Visa, Mastercard and Amex. The reason behind this is likely due to the international nature of these three cards as opposed to China UnionPay which is restricted in Canada and the United States.

With that said, I can completely understand how this limitation would be disadvantaging to your business in Hong Kong. I will be passing this along to our development team for future consideration. 

In the meantime, you could look into setting up UnionPay via China Payments (which is available in Hong Kong). Feel free to take a look at this guide and direct link to do so here

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Cheers!

lslelegance
Trailblazer
229 2 49

First of all I don't agree that you don't give importance to other countries other than Canada and Usa. If they are not accepted these countries then why all other countries have to be blocked also ? Doesn't make sense I think it can have the settings for the option to be deactivated based on regions. Second of all on your suggestion no thank you. I need to have china phone number which I don't as I live in HK and second I need to pay a plan fee each month which is not suitable.

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

I completely understand your stance on the limitations posed by Shopify Payments, @lslelegance - thank you for providing me with that context and insight.

We are continuously working on improving our platform and the services we provide on the international stage - especially when it comes to our payment gateway. We appreciate the point of view of different business models in different areas of the world and hope to be able to cater to all the unique needs of our merchants. This is why I will be sure to pass along your scenario to our developers who work with improving the Shopify Payments gateway we provide globablly. 

Thank you!