How can I skip the cart step and go straight to checkout on the Dawn theme?

mattbran
6 0 0

Hi - I'm trying to figure out how to go directly from my product page to the checkout page without the add to cart step in between. 

I'm pretty sure it requires some code in the product template liquid file, just need some help on the syntax and placement.

I appreciate any help here!

Replies 8 (8)

Marty
Shopify Staff (Retired)
512 74 103

Hi @mattbran.

Thanks for your message, I would be happy to help you out with this. Skipping the cart and heading straight to the checkout page is what our Dynamic checkout button does. There is no way to hide the add-to-cart button without customizing the code. For further clarification, do you only sell a single product in your shop, and is that the reason you are hoping to do this? If not and you will have multiple products, how would you add product A to the basket, then visit product B and add it to the basket as well? The cart page is also where you remove things from the basket, so what if you added product A but you really wanted product B, or what if you added 10 of product A, but only needed 9? 

Feel free to reach back out here with further clarification and perhaps an example of your desired workflow and I would be happy to brainstorm any additional possibilities. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

mattbran
6 0 0

Hi @Marty - Thanks for the reply! 

Yes, I only have a single product with multiple variants, so there is no need for an add to cart step. It just causes unnecessary clicks and friction for my visitors. 

The goal is just to have a single checkout button instead of the Add to Cart button. The dynamic checkout button is fine keep as well since it has the ability to present alternative payment options.  

I'm happy to customize the code, just need to know what to put in the theme to replace and/or hide the add to cart button.  

hasanarmstrong
Shopify Partner
25 5 5

Hi @mattbran,

If you have a newer theme you should be able to do it from your Shopify settings: 

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Themes.
  2. Find the theme that you want to edit, and then click Customize.
  3. Open the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
  4. Select Product pages.
  5. Click the Product pages section.
  6. Check or uncheck Show dynamic checkout button.
  7. Click Save.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/online-store/dynamic-checkout/add-buttons#add-or-remove-dynamic-c... 

If you have an older theme you will need to add the below code inside the liquid form tags.

{{- form | payment_button -}}

Hope this helps,

Hasan
Front-end developer who helps Shopify merchants with their website/s.
https://www.ecommercedevs.com/
mattbran
6 0 0

Hi @hasanarmstrong - 

Thanks for responding. I'm aware of the dynamic checkout button, but looking to hide or replace the Add to Cart button with a Checkout button. 

I only have a single product, so the add to cart step creates unnecessary friction for my visitors. 

Any idea what code could be used to accomplish this?

hasanarmstrong
Shopify Partner
25 5 5

@mattbran the dynamic checkout button skips the add to cart step and goes straight to checkout.

Front-end developer who helps Shopify merchants with their website/s.
https://www.ecommercedevs.com/
mattbran
6 0 0

Thanks @hasanarmstrong . To clarity, I don't want the add to cart button on the product page at all. I only want to present my visitors with the option to go directly to the checkout page.

iCart_App
Shopify Partner
479 57 103

Hello @mattbran,

Please send me your store URL so that I can send you the code to remove the add to cart button on the product page.

iCart Cart Drawer Cart Upsell App

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more visit www.identixweb.com

Marty
Shopify Staff (Retired)
512 74 103

Hi @mattbran.

Thanks for reaching back out. If you do not intend to use the dynamic checkout buttons, then as you mentioned, you would need to manipulate some coding to achieve this. As we are not able to support coding changes, one of our friendly community members may be able to help out with this. Another potential would be to reach out to a Shopify Expert.

Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.