How can I use a GIF image as the default products' image on the front store, or products page or collection page?

Duy_Tung
Tourist
9 0 1

I found many topics about this problem, but have not found a useful answer. So I have to ask again. 

I'm running a shopify store, and I want to use GIF image as the default image of the product on the products or collections page to explain the function of my products, but I couldn't do that.

The problem probably is that always have error in uploading GIF image to the product managing page.

Hopefully this time I will find a helpful answer.

Thanks in advance.

Replies 6 (6)
Duy_Tung
Tourist
9 0 1
Kraken42
Explorer
257 0 26

You would have to upload the GIFs to the file area of your store and then amend the product template to use those images. As far as I know you can only upload JPG's and PNG's directly to the product page which is probably why you're getting an error.

Jason
Shopify Expert
10440 169 2081

You can upload GIF images to a product but be aware that they are not officially supported:
https://help.shopify.com/themes/customization/colors-images-and-video/use-gifs

What are the errors that you are seeing?

If you do use GIFs on the products you also need to make sure that the GIF is always shown at the original size and hasn't be resized. Eg like this, not this (see GIF error). Making changes to the theme so that happens may be substantial, and more than what the forum can help you with.

I jump on these forums to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work.
Don't hand out staff invites or give admin password to forum members unless absolutely needed. In most cases the help you need can be handled without that.
★ http://freakdesign.com.au ★
Duy_Tung
Tourist
9 0 1

Thank you Jason.

FInally, I did it successfully.

Thinh_Nguyen
1 0 0

Hi Duy,  can you let us know how you were able to do it succefully? I would like to give this a try for my store. Any help would be great. Thanks!

jessestoddard
1 0 0

I am finding that some of the GIF's work and some do not, but it is a mystery to me which ones do and don't. Mostly, I have to compress and resize all of them to work, and then it is a 50/50 situation. If I take a GIF in the original it almost never works. I always have to cut down the resolution, size, crop, and compress to get them to sometimes work.