How do I add clickable social icons to footer in DAWN theme?

Lowie57
Tourist
8 0 2

Hi everyone! I am trying to add clickable social media icons to my footer in DAWN theme, I have gone to my theme settings and added the page web addresses in the socials settings, but they don't appear to be displaying anywhere on my pages. I would like to add them to the footer where I have circled. Any help would be very much appreciated! thank you.

Screenshot (31)_LI.jpg

Replies 11 (11)

Summer
Shopify Staff
1290 316 222

Hey, @Lowie57!

You've done the first part of adding your social media links to your Dawn theme. After entering the links in the Theme Settings > Social media area of your theme editor, you'll need to enable the social media icons in the footer for them to appear. You can do this by following the steps below.

1. In your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Themes.
  2. Click Customize beside Dawn to open the theme editor.
  3. On the left sidebar, click Footer.
  4. On the right sidebar, check Show social media icons under the Social media icons section. You can see this area in the screenshot you shared.

The social media icons will then appear on the lower right-hand corner of your footer.

Do you already have a strategy in place for your social media marketing? Providing easy access to your social media accounts is only a gateway to your strategy. Once visitors click the links, they won't immediately engage and follow or like your page so there needs to be a game plan for them to be enticed to do so. There also has to be constant and strategic activity on your social media pages for them to bring sales to your store. If you need ideas on how to build your strategy, feel free to go over this blog post and use it as a guide to create your long-term plan for social media marketing.

Summer | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Lowie57
Tourist
8 0 2

Thank you so much for the reply! feeling a little silly I did not see that checkbox! haha

Next question, How would I go about swapping out the icons for custom icons? and them making them a littler larger? I have a couple ready to go, but wanting to add them in.

Summer
Shopify Staff
1290 316 222

No worries at all, @Lowie57!

Swapping out the social media icons for custom icons and adjusting their size will need coding customization to achieve. If you wish to use the icons you prepared, you can hire a Shopify Expert to help you add them via coding. Otherwise, you can use an app in your store for custom icons such as Social Media Icons or POWR Social Media Icons. Should you have questions about the apps, you can contact their support team under the Support section of their listing.

Stacks
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Summer,

Im new to shopify - i started to add my social media links to my footer and decided to test, when i had clicked on one of the icon links - it took me straight to the page but..... the page displayed is my editing profile page, not the viewing page that a customer would see from the outside.

Is this actually right? - very confused right now lol

Summer
Shopify Staff
1290 316 222

Hey, @Stacks! Welcome to Shopify Community!

I'd love to look into the issue you're currently experiencing with your social media links. To better understand the problem and effectively investigate, could you please share your website with me? It would be helpful if I could visit the links and see what you're referring to.

If you prefer not to share your website, you can also share screenshots of the links and the pages instead. I'll do my best to work with those.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

3BusyBeesOnline
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello @Summer ,

I have enabled the social media tick box and entered all my social media links but the icons are still not coming up in my footer. Help Please!

Summer
Shopify Staff
1290 316 222

Hey, @3BusyBeesOnline! Welcome to Shopify Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're encountering an issue with displaying the social media icons on your website! Have you tried troubleshooting it? There's a likelihood that this is a local or a theme issue and if so, it may be easily fixed on your end. Please try the troubleshooting steps I've outlined below and see if they make the social media icons appear on your footer.

If it's a local issue, meaning an issue that's triggered by something on your device or your surrounding circumstances, they can be fixed by local troubleshooting steps which you can only perform on your end. You can carry out the following steps individually, then check if the social media icons appear after performing each one.

• Clear the cookies and cache of your browser. After this, completely reboot the browser.
  • Try a different web browser, as well as an incognito window or private browsing window to rule out any browser issues. When using incognito, if you are still experiencing the error, confirm you have disabled browser extensions as these can change how the pages look.
  • Ensure the web browser is up to date on the latest version.
  • Try another device, such as another computer or mobile phone.
  • Try another internet connection (switching to a cellular network on a phone rather than wifi, for example).

If the social media icons still don't appear after performing local troubleshooting, the next thing we should check is if it's a theme issue. You can do this by installing a new copy of the Dawn theme or the theme you're currently working on in your store. Once it's added to your Themes page you can then try to add your social media links and enable the social media icons by using the steps I shared in my initial reply to this topic. If the social media icons appear in the new theme, that means there's something in the other theme that's preventing them from appearing. If you use a Shopify theme, we may be able to fix the issue so you can create a support ticket as per the steps I've shared below. If you use a third-party theme, you may contact the theme developers for assistance or hire a Shopify Expert. Alternatively, you may move forward with the new theme.

If it's not a local issue or a theme issue and you use a Shopify theme, we’ll need to access your account in order to investigate. You can visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V to create a support request. If you use a third-party theme, again, you may contact the theme developers for assistance or hire a Shopify Expert to have it investigated.

Good call on adding your social media links to your website! I hope you already have a content strategy so your social media pages can bring visitors and sales to your store. Posting on social media is a way to connect with your customers, so it's important to post meaningful content and plan these posts ahead of time. If you don't have a content strategy yet, we have a quick tutorial on how to create one on our Shopify Learn page. Feel free to check it out! 

Geetharj
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

The web developer set up the social media in the header, but I see it in the footer on the webpage.  When I add the links to the respective icon, it does not create the link.  How can I move the social media to the footer so I can actually link it?   I also tried your post on how to create it in the footer but don't see a social media check box in the footer.  It is just blank.  

Geetharj_1-1666557048181.png

Geetharj_0-1666556965810.png

Kat888
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey Summer! Thank you so much for explaining, I've done every step enable the Icons as well as adding my social links & they still wont show in the footer any idea what I could do to fix this issue? Thank you again for your time!

Summer
Shopify Staff
1290 316 222

My pleasure, @Kat888! I'd love to investigate the issue you're experiencing. Could you please share which theme you're using so I can determine the steps for adding social media icons? Additionally, could you please explain the steps you took to add the links?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Empirewaredrobe
Excursionist
17 0 8

Hello we are also trying to add the media icons on the bottom when we check the box nothing shows up