How to add a sub-category

EntireHome
Tourist
8 0 3

Hello, I am working on my website and would like to have a sub-category within a section. For instance: I have a "Accessories" section, i would like to be able to click that and then see a breakdown of different Accessories Categories to be able to click into and see the products.

Here is a link to my store's collections page: https://entire-home.myshopify.com/collections

As you can see, there is a "Accessories" option, on the same page you can see I have "underpads" "nails" "t-mould" etc, I would like to see these within the "Accessories" section.

Any help or assistance I can get is very much appreciated.

Thank You!

Luna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
203 23 33

Hey, @EntireHome

Thanks for reaching out in our Community forum with your question. I am more than happy to provide you with some suggestions to help achieve your desired subset collection feature. 

From what you've shared, it sounds like you would like to create a feature subset of collections on a page, is that right? If so, may I ask which theme you are using? If you are using a Shopify theme you can achieve this by editing your theme code. Depending on which Shopify theme you use, you can follow the guide listed in our help documentation: Feature a subset of collections on a page. For context, it will appear like this on your storefront: 

28-47-38895-66747

If you're going to edit the code of your theme, I highly recommend duplicating your theme first, and learning how to roll back to an older version of your theme. That way, you can reverse the changes if needed. If you don't feel comfortable making these changes, or you are using a third-party theme, you could also consider hiring a Shopify Expert to help you make this customization. I suggest browsing the list of Experts that specialize in theme customizations here

Or, if you'd prefer a multi-level drop-down like this, an app would be the best route to take. You can check out some great options for this in our Shopify App Store, such as Mega Menu

Please let me know if you have any questions! In the meantime, your website is looking fantastic. Your store's design is simple, detailed, and easy to navigate. You've worked really hard on your store and it definitely shows. How has everything been going with business so far? 

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

made4Uo
Trailblazer
279 10 64

@EntireHome  you need to add a menu for that then call the link list in your code. I assume you know how to code?

In this side bar I use multiple level of drop downs. https://made4uo.com/blogs/journey-to-awesome-shopify-website/create-a-boundless-sliding-sidebar-with...

I do not work with Shopify. I am not looking to be hired or being paid. Just wanted to help.
0 Likes
EntireHome
Tourist
8 0 3

Hello! Thanks for the info. I am using the Minimal Theme

When you click "Shop Now" on the site, it takes you to a new page (ignoring the drop down menu). The Collections page, you'll see "Accessories" as the first option. After Clicking "Accessories" I would like to load to a new page for the sub-categories of "Accessories" such as "Nails" "Adhesives" "Stainers" etc. 

You can actually see my sub-categories on The Collections page *see image below*

adhesives, baseboards, nails suppose to be inside of accessories as sub-categoriesadhesives, baseboards, nails suppose to be inside of accessories as sub-categories

0 Likes
made4Uo
Trailblazer
279 10 64

@EntireHome Hi. I am not sure if I understand this. You just want to add a submenu then? If so, check this tutorial in creating a sub menu. Skip to 0:55. Instead of submenu. Go to your main menu. Let me know if it helps. 

https://made4uo.com/blogs/journey-to-awesome-shopify-website/8-steps-to-add-sliding-side-bar-to-debu...

I do not work with Shopify. I am not looking to be hired or being paid. Just wanted to help.
EntireHome
Tourist
8 0 3

I'm not talking about the "Sidebar menu". When a visitor comes to the site and click's "shop now" button; it takes them to a new page that shows different categories to click such as "accessories". What I'm trying to achieve is when the visitor clicks "accessories" it takes them to a new page that shows another list of categories within "accessories" (known as sub-categories). So then the visitor can chose an Accessories Category such as "nails". They would then click "Nails" and be taken to a new page that shows the products under "nails". 

0 Likes
made4Uo
Trailblazer
279 10 64

@EntireHome sorry for the confusion. You will need to create a collection page that would have your items in there. If you want the accessories to be a clickable image. You have to wrap the image in an href so you can redirect them to new page. I have a example on how to do a clickable image. Just apply the logic

https://made4uo.com/blogs/journey-to-awesome-shopify-website/add-a-customizable-clickable-image-sect...

EntireHome
Tourist
8 0 3

No need to be sorry! I am very gracious for the help. Really appreciate the response and I will follow the instruction in the link, hopefully this works! Thank You very very much :)!

0 Likes
Luna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
203 23 33

Hey, @EntireHome.

Luna here. Just want to check in and ensure that you receive all the help you need. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

Warmly, 

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
EntireHome
Tourist
8 0 3

Hi Lunda, Unfortunately I'm still having trouble. Since you now know the theme I am using (minimal). Could you better assist me in creating subcategories within categories? Thanks

0 Likes