Solved

How to increase product per page limit on the 'Dawn' theme

Signaturestores
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, 

I am transitioning over to the new 'Dawn' theme and I am having trouble locating the code in order to increase the products per page. I understand there is the option to increase it within the default theme settings; however, this is limited to 24 products. I would be looking to exceed this number. 

There are guides within these forums, albeit they are applicable for other themes and the code doesn't seem to correlate to the code within the Dawn theme. As a side note, the guides from other themes advise to update the "collection-template.liquid" file; however, such a file is not located within the Dawn themes code. I have, therefore, assumed the "main-collection-product-grid liquid" file would be used?

N.B I will be transitioning over to the new theme ASAP, and my store URL is: www.signatureretailstores.co.uk

Any guidance would be much appreciated. 

Accepted Solution (1)
Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 93

This is an accepted solution.

@branchesofme  here it goes change max=24 to 50 change.JPG

- Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website

View solution in original post

Replies 20 (20)

ZestardTech
Shopify Expert
5393 970 1291

Hello there,
Check it this article
https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/online-store/themes/os/customize/show-more-products

Want to modify or develop new app, Hire us.
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution .
Email: support@zestard.com
Shopify Apps URL :- https://apps.shopify.com/partners/zestard-technologies
Custom Modifications Into Shopify Theme | Shopify Private App | SEO & Digital Marketing
Signaturestores
Visitor
2 0 0

Thank you for the response! 

I did have a look at this, however, as aforementioned the referenced file "collection-template.liquid" is not the same as the one within the Dawn theme. I can only assume the "main-collection-product-grid liquid" file should be used?

Also, I am not too adept with code and the code to look out for within that guide is:

{% paginate collection.products by 9 %}

I cannot find that code within any of the theme files?

I have tried playing around with code i would consider similar but i cannot find anything that helps 😞

Any further help would be much appreciated. 

Thank you.

branchesofme
Excursionist
16 0 5

Did you find a response to this request?

str33tfits
Visitor
1 0 0

I found out how to do it idk if it will work for you tho

Casperh
Excursionist
28 0 8

Yes please i would love to know 

branchesofme
Excursionist
16 0 5

Can you share how?

Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 93

hi in dawn theme go to customization seect collection page then in product grid change to 24 per collection also for product page select product template and select the options. @branchesofme products.JPG

- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website
branchesofme
Excursionist
16 0 5

Thanks, but we are all trying to edit code to get more than this number

Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 93

This is an accepted solution.

@branchesofme  here it goes change max=24 to 50 change.JPG

- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website
Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 93

@branchesofme  change accordngily 

"min": 5,
"max": 50,
"step": 5,
"default": 20,

- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website
ArthurBarbey
Tourist
4 0 4

@Ecommpremium thank you very much for your help.

To make it work on my side, I needed also to modify the value for "products_per_page" in "collection.json" from Templates (it was at 24 --'):

ArthurBarbey_0-1636978124944.png

I hope it helps 🙂

branchesofme
Excursionist
16 0 5

Thank you SO MUCH, with this addition It is now working

Slav1c
Tourist
4 1 1

@ArthurBarbey

please help

I have Dawn theme too, but my "collection.json" file is missing rows from your screenshot and when I tried to add "products_per_page": 48  there is an error

• Error: Setting 'products_per_page' must be a step in the range

Any idea what's the difference in the template setup?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 22.45.14.png

ArthurBarbey
Tourist
4 0 4

Hi @Slav1c,

My post is only a part of the solution, please follow the two posts from @Ecommpremium of 11-05-2021 07:32 PM and 11-05-2021 07:34 PM.

I have experienced the same kind of error message than you got, you need to play around with these settings :

ArthurBarbey_0-1645788730266.png

In my case, to show 50 products, I needed to put these above values to those settings. 

In your case of showing 48 products, my guess would be to put those values :

"min": 8,
"max": 48,
"step": 4,
"default": 16,

The error message "Error: Setting 'products_per_page' must be a step in the range" might have been printed because you would have put the value 5 at step and 48 is not a multiple of 5, but 4.

I think you can set other values than those I suggest for min and default, as long it is a multiple of 4. 

I hope it helps. 

Slav1c
Tourist
4 1 1

Hi @ArthurBarbey,

it's working like a charm now, thanks!

branchesofme
Excursionist
16 0 5

Thank you! At first it didnt work, but With the addition of the post below they then worked

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

Note that 24 is reasonable default for a reason chosen by shopify, watch your bounce rates and conversions when adding weight to a page like this.

If you double the amount of products that's double the amount of images your customers must download to view the page, double the scrolling , zoom images that get load, double quickview etc etc impacting performance and your bottom line.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Zeppelin83
Excursionist
24 0 8

Thank you the solution worked for me.  However, I had to set the max products to 48 to avoid an error when saving the code change. And then, when visiting the regular product grid editor, I was now able to increase the amount of products shown to 48 per page. 

sammyk
Tourist
3 0 1

No, when I follow your steps, it sys products can not be more than 24 per page

torn1ke
Visitor
1 0 0

it says

• "Setting 'products_per_page' must be a step in the range"